• Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Well now, here we go again. It is libation time again on Bataux Mynah, which has brought to light a number of issues. The first one was, in which thread of mine should I post this, "how busy" or "A ponder". I decided on this one, as you can see. Secondly, and rather more importantly a matter of detectors. I have nine now, and I have decided that if they all go off at once I shall abandon ship and run away to Basingstoke. Of these nine detectors four are smoke and five are CO, and I think one of them is chirruping to inform me its' battery needs changing. Either that or one of my techie pads wants to tell me something. I don't know which. I have looked at all the detectors and none of them is displaying anything. No flashing lights, nothing. I have looked to see it there is a previously unknown detector, but have found none. It is also possible that the errant unit is on one of my neighbours boats, but more likely it's not going to be a detector, it'll be something else entirely. As at worst it's only one unit informing me of impending doom, leaving Basingstoke safe from my company... for the time being. Why Basingstoke? I hear you ask. Well it's further away from my boat than Horning, and many years ago I heard/read/made up, a poem about the place and the idea stuck. If you find yourself in Basingstoke, and you haven't any money, Other people start to laugh, but you won't think it's funny. So you head for Barclays Bank, and the hole that's in the wall, But the bloody things been vandalised and gives no dosh at all. And that's when you start to kick yourself for being so damned fool rash, For going all the way to Basingstoke without your ruddy cash. Hmm, a libation too many perhaps.
  3. Today
  4. There is also one pontoon mooring spot at Beccles , we usually book it
  5. Thanks Malcolm. Just read it as we are arriving into Beccles. Oh well.
  6. If the tides are that high, I’d suggest the pontoon moorings at Oulton Broad would be better. Beccles will probably overtop.
  7. The quiz formaat that Bern has used. 40 General knowledge questions Was very well received and would seem to be preferred to the seperate subjects format. Therefore, I intend to do next weeks quiz the same way. General Knowledge questions with a break at half time for drinks etc. All are welcome to join in. https://www.nbnchat.com/chat/ Enter user name but leave password blank. 8.30 ish in the chatroom each Friday evening.
  8. Love mooring at Beccles. Have a great day. 🤗
  9. No Liz, I wouldn’t have been anyway near Great Yarmouth if on my own. When I bought the boat, I did promise to myself that I’d never do the crossing on my own, but now, having experienced yesterday, I might be persuaded on a very benign day in the summer, in a drought😂 This morning, at 8.20 the St Olaves bridge gauge was 7’2”. By the time we cast off and got to the bridge 20 mins later it was 6’9”. This was two and a quarter hours before high tide, for a bridge where my list says average high water clearance is 8’. And again at Somerleyton, same sort of time before high tide. On a bridge with a high water clearance of 8’6”, I went under at 7’1”. For anyone else out on the southern rivers at the moment, arrive anywhere tight well before the time you normally would. As for Tony, I’m trying to give him the impression that everything’s under control! Off to Beccles on a rising tide, so motoring along nicely this morning.
  10. Poor Tony come for a relaxing cruise, were the ear plugs to make sure he couldn't hear you ask again . I think you did very well and I never thought that tides could rise so quickly. You got it as right as you could with the information you had certainly wouldn't like to have been in that situation myself. Well done to you and keeping in touch with The Rangers. It always reassures us when we see The Spirit of Breydon about. We are sure they do their best to keep an eye on all. Take care and stay safe. Kindest Regards Marge and Parge
  11. I wouldn't say stupid at all - the question is if you had been on your own would you have made the same decision or would you not even have gone south anyway?
  12. One thing I wondered was would the yacht station ranger have rung the Breydon ranger to say a boat was on its way across. The reason I ask us that as we got to the Yare/Waveney junction, the Spirit of Breydon was moored up and had his binoculars out on us. I was reassured he’d hopefully been keeping an eye on us. That ‘remote supervision’ I used to do with the kids on D of E expeditions. He might just have been having a tea break of course, and spotted a daft boat out on the water.
  13. Thanks Vaughan. I prefer ‘miscalculated’, makes me feel more competent😄 A number of hire boats passed me going up the Bure, which greatly surprised me. Perhaps they’d been in touch with the yacht station earlier and they’d advised coming across early.
  14. I wouldn't say that was stupid. You researched the tides and you kept very good contact with the rangers, who I am sure would have recommended not going across if they thought it was too rough. All the same, Breydon can be pretty "aggressive" at times! What bothers me a bit, is what effect this is going to have on hire boats, if the tides are so far out of time and much higher than usual.
  15. So was I. In hindsight, perhaps he said ‘two hours ago’, which would have been about an hour early. The aweigh app graph certainly shows it rising again well before the published time. Good night apart from a creaking fender. Something I thought about while listening to that fender was my old fuel tank. When it was replaced, I was told it had about 40L of crud in the bottom, presumably accumulated in over 40 years of its life. That would have been given a good shake up. it’s no wonder boats break down with engine trouble on Breydon. The more I think about my decision yesterday, the more I’m deciding it was the wrong one. And that means the less the chance of me doing something stupid like that again!!!!!
  16. Yesterday
  17. Oh! Thank you! I just thought he was running a little late.
  18. He moved to Australia 10 years ago 😂
  19. Thanks for your quiz tonight Bern. You definitely had your hands full with so many players. 👍 And well done to Arthur.
  20. There is a flood warning on the Yare for tonight and tomorrow.
  21. Would you like to use the chap I use?
  22. Advance warning COLTISHALL BRIDGE CLOSED - MAY 13th to MAY 17th https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/24259895.coltishall-bridge-will-close-roadworks-may
  23. Thank you to all that took part in the quiz tonight. In joint third place with 9 point were SteveO and Wanderer, in joint second place with 12 points were NikO and TigerHawk, and the winner with 15 points was Arthur. Arthur will be question master next week.
  24. Those rangers know their stuff, don't they? I guess they've seen Horizon 35s pass through on enough occasions to know very accurately what clearance was needed. I'm amazed the tide can turn 2 hours earlier than expected.
  25. The guy we intend using approached Richardsons and showed them his insurance etc and was told it was not possible , I’ll try and contact Paul when next up and ask him in person . They are ok with Daniel working on boats there
  26. The person who reported it is herself a well respected and highly responsible lady and not one to start or spread rumours. Fred
  27. That’s me n Purdey onboard as of 2115. 3 x Hrs door to door which was a good run. Crack on with battery change in t morning Griff
  28. Have you asked Paul? He might ok it Griff
  1. Load more activity
  • Sponsors

Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.