• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Ricardo

So You Can Go Swimming!

A couple of weeks back I spoke to the head of ranger services and I asked her a few questions regarding this event , I got told the organisers had done a very good risk assessment and that only 30 had signed up but that's no doubt increased since then , my thoughts have not changed at all , I still think is insane and BA sanctioning it is a very foolish mistake , I hope if it does take place that all goes well and there are no accidents etc if that were the case then I recon BA might well regret saying yes to this event .
  3. JennyMorgan

So You Can Go Swimming!

I have since passed my latest concerns to the relevant officer at the BA. I note that a 100 people have paid their entrance fee, I wonder if that is sufficient to cover the what must be considerable costs?
  4. Philosophical

So You Can Go Swimming!

Earplugs, another excellent point that has been dismissed as insignificant and ignored.
  5. Jayfire

Car Is Packed...

The cruise up (and back) to Coltishall certainly is stunning in the sunshine. I think another visit in August will be in order for us. Always happy to see the booze and BBQ supplies being sought after, and you are correct Salhouse in the sunshine is wonderful, especially after a visit to The Fur and Feather Inn Good stuff
  6. Bexs

Car Is Packed...

We stayed at Coltishall overnight. Such a peaceful spot and it was a lovely sunny evening. We almost had the place to ourselves. Woke up to another beautiful sunny morning, played with the our dog on the green for a while. Then set off to mosey back to Wroxham. We haven’t been up to Coltishall in a few years, we are glad we made the effort again, as it is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful cruises when it’s sunny. We stoped at Wroxham to stock up on yet more supplies (alcohol) at Roy’s and to buy BBQ meat from the butchers next to the public moorings. Once the pilot had taken us through the bridge, we cruised down to Salhouse and moored up for a glorious afternoon and evening. It is a perfect location for children, parents and the dog! Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  7. Londonlad1985

Groupon Warning.

I don't know how it stands legally Groupon advise they will contact the Pub to confirm my story.
  8. JennyMorgan

So You Can Go Swimming!

In truth I don't suppose the Authority actually has the power to stop people from swimming. What I find sad is that they did not actually discourage nor distance themselves from the event. I have a dread that there will be an accident and the consequences of that will inevitably involve the BA because they have unwisely, in my opinion, sanctioned it. My concerns about ear plugs might read as rather silly but since I have taken to pool swimming it has surprised me just how many of the keen types wear them. So, as an angler, a boater & now a swimmer I do have my reservations. As an angler I might want to call out and warn a swimmer that my lines are out and that he/she is swimming into them, I do now wonder what likelyhood there is of a swimmer hearing my warning.
  9. Ricardo

Wanted.aquafibre 38

Ain't nothing wrong with ex hire craft , after all quite a few members on here own one including me , as for the original gell thing just how thick is it nowadays after yrs of compounding ? , I will agree that there is a ceiling after which its literally throwing money away on less you intend keeping the boat and getting the benefits of all the improvement's .
  10. LondonRascal

Wanted.aquafibre 38

Well I am in good working order but I don't use Independence much, if there are to be any health issues present it is one of mental illness to get involved with boating to begin lol
  11. 40something

Wanted.aquafibre 38

Cant disagree with any of that, Trixie will be a good buy for her next owner, and you will have had the use of the upgrades and the pleasure of getting the boat how you want. If I could justify it I would love to make my Safari the best it could be. The unusual think about the Westward is spending all that money and then not using the boat, but of course we do not know the personal circumstances of the owner, I hope its a just a case of too many toys rather than a health issue for example.
  12. Philosophical

Groupon Warning.

Agree 100%
  13. Today
  14. TheQ

3 Rivers Race 2018

Today being Thursday the observant of you will notice volunteers getting the sailing club ready for the sailing school where later up to 80 kids and the odd adult will arrive to be taught the gentle art of sailing in ever decreasing circles. Though thats not on next Thurday as the front will be lined by boats for the 3RR
  15. LondonRascal

Wanted.aquafibre 38

This has turned into an interesting side thread, as so often the case is here and I enjoy. My feelings about the Westward Centre Cockpit that has been lavished is it reminds me of what is going on with Trixie right now. The chap who bought this boat original off Herbert Woods clearly wanted to make the boat anything bu another ex-hire boat. There is a big risk here though because no matter what one does it will always be an ex-hire boat so there is only so much value that could be added. In this case we have an interesting situation where two boats of the same type, built in the same year, both with 'new' Nanni engines are on the market at the same time. One has been kept reasonably tidy though cosmetically the hull needs a re-paint, the other has been transformed with new fixtures and fittings, upholstery, electric toilets, galley - you name it. There is £15,000 between the two. Now if you wanted to turn the one for sale at Waterside Marine Sales into the same as that up for sale at NYA it would cost more than £15,000 - so therefore the NYA boat seems 'good value'. If however you just want a nice four berth boat with a centre cockpit in overall good order then NYA boat is way overpriced. This reminds me of what I am doing with Trixie. The good point is she was never in a hire fleet, so from new has extras' the same boats in hire do not have. Things like a bow thruster, nav lights, electric winch, duel wipers and so on. But I feel she was over priced - not by much, just a couple of thousand but it was not worth loosing out over that knowing full well overall she was a decent good boat. Now a lot of people would have left it there - but the road I am traveling down at the moment will not add much more value to the boat but will increase desirability. The fact is people know canopies cost a bunch, having things like the upholstery changed to a more modern neutral style, updating the galley, right down to the mechanical areas will make the boat be one that would stand out on the Brokers site. It won;t make me anything, but it does give me a lot of pride to have a boat in such good order and condition. I think perhaps that is what the chap who did so much with the Westward felt too - it is not about money, but happiness and pride in what you own.
  16. Paul

Groupon Warning.

I think the biggest issue here is that the booking was taken three weeks ago with the knowledge that a Groupon voucher is being used, then just a couple of days beforehand the establishment revokes the booking. There is no other word for that than shoddy. It would terminate my patronage of said establishment ad infinitum.
  17. Philosophical

So You Can Go Swimming!

Wow! BA has certainly taken on a responsibility there then.
  18. 40something

So You Can Go Swimming!

Well unless the organiser is lying (highly doubtful) BA already gave their blessing months ago, and it was they who suggested the location.
  19. oldgregg

Wanted.aquafibre 38

I'd guess at about £15K fitted, plus any additional work..
  20. Philosophical

So You Can Go Swimming!

So I guess the outstanding questions are? Do they need permission from the BA? If so: Do they have permission BA?
  21. 40something

So You Can Go Swimming!

Didn't we come to the conclusion further back that the BA cant actually stop it going ahead even if they wanted to?
  22. Philosophical

So You Can Go Swimming!

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said: Have the BA confirmed that this event has been officially given the go ahead, I have not seen anything in the Navigation committee reports or elsewhere to say it has been discussed or approved. Do we know the answer to this question?
  23. Philosophical

Wanted.aquafibre 38

What do they say "Bung on another thousand" Look what I can buy for a lot less if not for a boat: 525 BHP
  24. johnb

Groupon Warning.

I don't know about most of the above, but I would probably not be as keen to use vouchers for meals, as the caterer could adjust the meal downwards when they know you are paying less money. We did have one good meal through Groupon, I believe. On the other hand, when our children bought us a gift of theatre and meal in London, the first time we were given the tiniest meal (a small bowl of rice to share and a small amount on a plate), on the other occasion the theatre couldn't supply seats etc etc and then we were persuaded to change the play and it was rubbish, so left half time. Couldn't complain because they were gifts.
  25. 40something

So You Can Go Swimming!

Over 100 entrants have paid, so it would appear to be going ahead.
  26. 40something

Wanted.aquafibre 38

It was just a guess, but having done a bit of research The engine alone is 9k (gulp!), so yes most likely substantially more than 10k with fitting and perhaps a new gearbox, mounts, couplings, prop etc. Well at least he got 40 hours use out of it
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Our new mobile app is available now on Android and iOS!

Get it on Google Play

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.