Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing most liked content on 02/09/15 in all areas

  1. 7 points
    Alan- I'm still getting the error message when I try to upload, so will email you pictures from19th and 20th August shortly. Don't wish to disappoint Grace! Thanks once again! Thursday 20th August Having gone out like a light, I did not stir again until Janine woke me at 7am. The kids were up and breakfast was on the go. The sky was grey but it remained dry as we discussed a rough schedule for the day which would allow us to stay on the Ant. It was due to rain in the morning and improve in the afternoon, so we set out for Stalham at half past eight. Apart from vessels moored outside the main channels, we were the only boat on Barton Broad. It remained quiet as we navigated the stretch above the Broad and then entered Stalham Dyke. Having taken on water, we moored up at Richardsons and then wandered into Stalham as it began to rain. After buying some doughnuts to eat later, we wandered back towards the Staithe and called in at the Museum of the Broads. We spent a pleasant 90 minutes in there with the boys particularly enjoying the touch screens and the boats on view. My highlights were looking through some of the old boating brochures on display and seeing the Boat Bar from the Maltsters again. When we came out the weather had brightened considerably and the sun was starting to come through again. We now had suitable conditions to begin a tour of the rest of the Ant. We began by taking the short-cut to Sutton Broad and cruising along to the Staithe before turning around. We then headed up in the direction of Wayford Bridge. After taking in the views of Hunsett Mill and the “interestingly” renovated cottage, we went up to just before the Bridge before turning around and retracing our steps. It was now nearly 1300 and although the crew were enjoying the sights they were hungry. As I came off the main river and approached Paddy’s Lane I spied a gap between two private boats which was just big enough for Magical Light to fit into. As we moored, I remarked to myself that I would not have attempted to get into this gap a few days previously. After beans on toast we tidied up the boat as the bank we moored on last night had been muddy and Joseph volunteered to mop the decks down. It was beginning to get seriously warm again as we headed back out onto the river. There was virtually no wind on Barton Broad as we headed across in the direction of Gaye’s Staithe. The Staithe was a hive of activity with lots of kids having fun in dinghies. There were no spaces, but that was of no concern to us as we fancied another wild mooring. It was still a bit early to moor up for the night, so we went downriver as far as How Hill before turning round again to seek out a mooring. It was noticeably busier than yesterday and the only suitable mooring that we saw before Barton Broad was deemed to be too close to another boat. After crossing Barton, I spied a familiar looking craft coming the other way- there in all her glory was Broad Ambition. It was strange to see her in the flesh (well, the wood anyway) after reading and seeing so much about her on the forum, but up close she looked fantastic. She was a good omen for us too! A few minutes after seeing her we spotted an unoccupied patch of grass on the left of the river which was tucked behind a tree. The mooring was similar to last nights in that it involved a mix of tying on to rond anchors and tree trunks. It also had a network of paths in the trees for the boys to explore which, it was soon reported back, was even more extensive. It differed in that there were a few boats on the opposite bank that were in view, but they were a suitable distance away After taking in our new surroundings for a while, Janine and I made the kids sandwiches for tea and split a bottle of Adnams Broadland Sunrise which we consumed sat on the roof of the front cabin. During this time, we spotted a dragonfly fluttering in the bushes on the bank by the bow of the boat. Continuing the routine into which we had now fallen, Joseph and I went for a row between 6 and 7. We went about 15 minutes upstream and then downstream twice, just enjoying how quiet the river now was. Janine and I then had our tea before we all decamped out onto the roof to watch tonight’s edition of the River Ant nature show. Like last night, we had jumping fish and bats. There was more cloud cover, which made it much warmer but reduced our ability to see the stars. Mother Nature compensated for this by laying on an owl that hooted sporadically from a nearby tree. It was nice to see the lights of other boats nearby and the flourescent orange life jackets of some boys fishing quietly on a nearby boat standing out against the darkening scene. Janine and the boys turned in at 10 o’clock, but I was still warm and enjoying the view so I made a cup of tea and sat drinking it in the aft well in near darkness. With regret, I eventually gave in to tiredness and went to bed, walking away from the glory that is the nocturnal River Ant until the next time we would be on the Broads.
  2. 6 points
    Shocked? – The gap wasn’t that tight, well I didn’t think so! Friday 28th Aug - Sailed from Richo’s – a nice day it was too, we were bound for Wroxham, then Coltishall with no real hurry to get to either. Lowered the mast for Ludham Bridge as per the norm (Our mast is 10ft 6”) waived to George at LBBy then said a hello to Alex and Lorna onboard ‘Braveheart’ as we passed. Horning was busy, we would have stopped for an hour or so if a berth had been available but it wasn’t to be. Just before Salhouse our Beta change note, well part of it did, Hmmm I’m thinking, that’s not quite right, so I had a quick 10 second ponder and came to the conclusion an alternator drive belt was developing a problem, lifted one engine cover and sure enough that is what it was. Into Salhouse, as we prepared to drop the Mudweight the belt let go entirely, no harm done. 30 mins later new belt fitted and we are underway once more. The original belt – I had never been quite happy with it – it used to emit a strange noise on start up until it was warmed up. The replacement one is whisper quiet so it transpires that the original belt had some sort of issue right from day one, it managed around 2’200 x Hrs. Of course we carry a spare onboard, well we did – I have now used it so a replacement one will be procured this coming weekend. Into Wroxham, through the bridge without any drama then alongside the Kings Head quay. The crew went off to Roys as per the norm, I visited ‘Nearest and Dearest’ for some amalgamating tape and prices on mooring ropes of various types / sizes. It was whilst the crew was using the gardens of the Kings Head that I got stuck in to change the fresh water pump for the second new one in as many weeks. This version is rated at 45psi. I soon had it installed and noted that I will have to fully sort out the fittings during a forthcoming maintenance weekend. I checked the accumulator tank was at the correct air pressure, switched on the pump which soon brought the system up to pressure, no leaks. It was whilst tidying up the 12v cable that there was a ‘Bang’ within seconds I was soaked through, yes even the ‘skidders’ The flexible pipe on the pressure side of the pump had parted company from the pump outlet, which in turn released 25 x Ltrs of cold water from the accumulator which was pressured to 45psi – It didn’t take long for that lot to empty itsen all over yours truly! Sigh . . . more amalgamating tape, re-fixed pipe and all was well, had to dry out the engine bay and wheelhouse of course not to mention a change of dry clothes for moi Griff
  3. 5 points
    just thought I would show you Magnor with her new decks, she has all new floors too in teak and holly and should be out and about soon.. back deck done too, just got to fit new gauges and use her, the next job will be to tidy the engine bay as its a bit of a mess in there at the moment but I want to use her for a bit before that..
  4. 4 points
    Our allocation on Ranworth Breeze and Wednesday already. Wednesday already, we have been on the Broads since arriving around 6.30 on Sunday evening. We had a good run down, 4 hours including a stop for a coffee and walk around. Sunday evening in the Yare, Tan had been longing for their steak, ale & mushroom pie, fish for me, back to the boat for coffee and homemade cheesecake, early to bed. Monday was a washout so we went to Norwich to pick up a few things from B&Q in order to do some work on the boat. We had to go to Morrisons at Beccles to cash in our £15 of vouchers (these had to be redeemed this week) we also had two standard £5.00 vouchers. Shopping done we decided to go back to Brundall via the Reedham Ferry, needless to say still raining. By the time we arrived at the ferry it was turned 1.00pm so we would call into the pub for lunch. The ferry operator was thinking about closing the ferry down because of the height of the tide, this was giving some issues with some cars bottoming and he thought he would have to put sandbags across the road to protect the pub from flooding. Back on board and a light evening meal, a few games of Rummikub, Tan managed to win a game and was only one behind, watched a DVD and bed. Tuesday morning we went to the showers at the Marina building and then off to Brian Wards for some items. Back for breakfast and outside to start on the jobs I had planed to do on the boat. I started rubbing down the port aft window which had oxidation under the powder coating, the plan was to rub it down and paint it with smooth black Hammerite as a stopgap. Rubbed down and finished with wet & dry and given one coat after masking up. Onto the next job, the teak on the bathing platform, someone had damaged this at the start of the season, but needless to say once damaged someone was bound to catch it again. Phil kindly went down to the boat and made a tracing of the damaged plank and posted this to me, for this I made an oversized machined section to bring down to the boat. Once the damaged was removed, I started making the new section fit, a fair amount of planning was required to get it down to the thickness required and trimming to fit the existing boards. One it was almost down to size thickness wise and now fully shaped to fit, it was fixed into place using marine adhesive, and this was also used for the caulking. Back to work on the window, for another coat. A late lunch and then we set off for Loddon, Tan had the helm for most of the journey including all the way up the Chet. We moored overnight at the staithe and helped a couple of new crews to moor up. At the other side of us was a crew that had hired one of the Brooms Captain 4’s as a taster on the Broads for 4 days. I removed the fender socks that we have over the bathing platform and replaced both socks whist working up an appetite, a glass of wine was in order. We had an evening meal in the Swan, which was good although the portion size could have been an adult’s, although Tan’s was a starter. The San Miguel on draft went down so well, I was obliged to sample another to make sure it was still good. We noticed on the way to the Swan that notices were in the windows of the Kings Arms that they are longer providing food but you are welcomed to bring in your own.Back to the boat and a couple of more games of Rummikub, Tan won them both so is one game in hand, I will have to pull my socks up; pity I am not wearing them, coffee and bed. Wednesday normally I am up around 6.00am but we stayed in bed again till almost 8.00am, breakfast and a couple of crosswords and Tan went shopping whilst I sanded down the section of teak I fitted into the bathing platform. On Tan’s return we put down the canopy and left Loddon in sunshine, it went very dull and we had a vast dark cloud above us all the way to the end of the Chet, we proceeded on our journey to Bramerton , It started bucketing down by the Sugar Factory, so Tan had to helm whilst I put the canopy up around her, from then on we had to helm with the front screen unzipped down. Tan was at the helm shortly afterwards and did not see a couple of fishermen in a boat a mile or so out of Brundall, she was close and apologises for any upset caused, I would note that profanity directed towards a woman is not on in my book no matter the cause, we all make mistakes at times. Just after Brundall the rain stopped for a while and we managed to moor up near to an electric post. Lunch was done in the oven, jacket potatoes, sausages and beans. After lunch Tan washed up and started reading whilst I recovered a couple of side fenders. Currently not raining and a few people are sitting together on the green. More later, connections permitting. Regards Alan
  5. 4 points
    Sorry nothing matching what you have described in our store at this time. On a better note have just identified and returned a VHF radio that was recovered, hopefully another satisfied customer.
  6. 4 points
    I know the very wild mooring you describe, have moored there ourselves on several occasions, we have put extra layers on to sit out until 2am on occasions, as you so beautifully put, nights like that do stay with you forever. We actually DO need the pictures thank you very much Jaws lol Grace
  7. 3 points
    Evening - if you haven't been south for a while a few places you won't have seen are 1. Whitlingham Broad - not accessible by boat but good 24 hour moorings on the river 20 metres from Broad - nice teashop 2. Hardley Mill - great moorings on the pontoon & well worth a look. 3. Waveney river centre - ferry takes you to Carlton Marshes 4. Oulton Broad - new ferry service to Lowestoft - think it's now working 5. Trip to Norwich - even if you choose not to stay the riverside has changed dramatically. Canoe hire also available in Norwich if you fancy a paddle upstream. 6. In Surlingham there is a vineyard called Wimbri - they sell the wine in Coldham Hall & Waitrose! They may do trips round the vineyard - moor at Coldham Hall. 7. Think you can get a trip round Langley Abbey -moor at Langley Dyke and check it out online - it's where the polo club is and around 300 metres from Langley Dyke. Haven't mentioned pubs etc as others have already covered that but just a few ideas for new things you may not have seen. Enjoy - sure you will have a fab time! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. 3 points
    See this is why the 'Robin water system' is all round safer bet as it is under no pressure and requires no electric pump just don;t go too far from a water point Seriously though had be laughing as can imagine that moment of pride at a good job finished, to then the the torrent of water gushing out over you and everything...Still least we can say the boat has been treated to a fresh water bilge clean.
  9. 3 points
    Im gonna take you on a slow boat to China.....
  10. 3 points
    Boom time is definitely not happening! Most of the larger fleets were either down of just holding their own on bookings, but after last week i would guess a few last minute bookings never happened so that would be annoying for some. Day boat hires are still basically the same, and when you take into account that no one has produced a contract of 25+ new days boats since Barnes invested over 10 years ago there will naturally be a few that retire......! You will also notice that all the hire fleets will always build two or three new boats each year, as this allows them to sell old ones and helps make a decent cash return on the assets, plus keep staff busy & productive. Obviously Clive & Paul at Richardsons are always investing however, im sure they made a major & longterm investment choice a few years ago....?! I.e. Even if next year is crap, im sure they will continue on their longterm plan and build new boats..... I don't like calling the Broads a National Park but at this rate it could end up as the Richardsons Park!! Some bl**dy sunshine would help for a start!!!!
  11. 3 points
    The EU should get its beak out of OUR rules!! We give in to all the daft legislation that the EU comes out with, we need to take back control of our own government. That's what we elect MP's for, not some EU bureaucrats! We lost our cheap Red Diesel, let's dump the EU. When we were asked years ago wether we should join, it was the common market, not the common government of Europe. Rant over! Sorry
  12. 3 points
    The number of boats going over Breydon Friday and Sat at close to or coming up to high water was ridiculous. The SOB actually flagged one down and told them to wait a couple of hours at the Berney before trying to cross. 10 mins after they left there was a steady flow of boats on the route across Breydon. I am surprised I haven't heard of any more boats wedged under the bridge. One guy we helped moor up refused to take our advice to turn into the tide and then went full pelt and hit the bow on the quay heading!! The best one was Sat night at Polkeys Mill - just us and the ducks - 9:30 pm a hire boats comes belting past, circles twice and tries to moor. Eventually after shouting at them to go into the tide we got them in - 14yr old at the helm (actually did better than I make him sound, mum and 2 young kids on board. No Life jackets, pitch black and wanting to head over Breydon in the morning. Asked about air draft and he had that sorted, then I asked about tide times and they brought the handbook out mumbling about low water at 4:30ish. I was extremely polite in pointing out that they shouldn't be travelling at night which they had no idea about!! I suggested they may be able to leave at 5:30 as it will be getting light, but in the end they left at 8:30. I am not sure what the air draft was through the bridge, but they had one of the new Brooms and it's about 8' 8" I think he said. The tide was definitely getting high and they must have been punching it all the way. No idea if they got through or turned round and stopped at Bernie Arms. The only good thing was that the lad driving really sounded like he wanted to learn and listened to everything we had to say to him so hopefully he will make a good skipper by the end of his week.
  13. 2 points
    I'm just sitting here and my 3 furry companions (3 cocker spaniels) know something is amiss... Stuff coming down from the loft they hadn't seen for a while, trips to the vets to get boosters for their upcoming residential stay in doggy towers for a week and general unusual activity like partially packing stuff into suitcases (which one of them insists is a game of hide and seek the sock). Brundle is calling for this Saturday and frequent checks of the forecast brings smiles one day and "bloody weather" the next. iI's been a long time coming and whatever happens I intend on having a relaxing time and I'm taking this opportunity to thank all you lot for your help in answering questions and advice given and for such a friendly run forum I do intend to take some videos and be as creative as possible and upload a short vlog of the week aboard Silver Elegance and to try and capture the essence of a boating holiday, mainly for the family to enjoy and hopefully to share with the community. Now the question is what video editor to use, I can be quite creative and use audio software to create mixes for my own enjoyment, and it's nice when I get asked "who did that" when we have family bbqs, sooooo over to you guys for suggestions for a possibly free or not too expensive paid for bit of software that you can recommend... Ray
  14. 2 points
    Beccles pub crawl there really isn't anywhere not worth visiting. Take your time and enjoy the lot
  15. 2 points
    ‘Eeees Fallen in De Water’ We left Wroxham early evening and toddled off to Coltishall. On arrival we were in luck, there was a 50ft gap on the common, I brought ‘B.A’ about so we could berth Port side too, fenders deployed, deck crew ready. A chap from the boat astern of the gap wandered down the bank and kindly got ready to accept our head rope which he duly did. The bow was about 10ft from the bank, the stern was a good 20ft from the bank, I informed him that I was going to kick the stern in, which required full stbd wheel and a good blip on the throttle. The man on the bank then got it in his head that he was going to hang onto ‘B.A’s headrope good n proper, what he should have done was to let the rope slip through his hands until I had got the stern in, but no he was standing firm. Now then I’m not sure how much the man weighed or how much horsepower he thought he could muster, but it was no match for 8 x tons and 50hp. Down on his backside he went ala ‘Tug-of-War’ style, did he let go? – did he eckers like which resulted in a very graceful entry straight into the river feet first! ‘Eeees Fallen in De Water’ He was out in a jiffy assisted by our crew, what was really funny was that he still had a now very soggy bent fag in his mouth. His first words were ‘Well that was somewhat refreshing’ No harm done apart from our aching sides laughing with him. Later on I asked him just what he was thinking of? - he explained that at first he had no explanation as to why he took it upon himself to try and out pull ‘B.A’ as he knew exactly what I was doing, but he did have an explanation – Too many beers in the afternoon sun = falling in the river I did offer him the use of ‘B.A’s shower but he declined the offer. We spent the night there and had a marvellous dinner onboard cooked by Paul T. Griff
  16. 2 points
  17. 2 points
    That was a report from our Southern Broads reporter! Iain.
  18. 2 points
    Hi MrP.. Depth isn't a problem.. My sounder alarm is set to 3 feet and it only ever goes off down south entering the marina (And I'm slowly dredging that lol). You should be fine everywhere (Oulton is the shallowest I've seen at 6 feet) . As you know everywhere is lovely.. Geldestone, Loddon, Rockland, Oulton (it's got good now.. moor on the floating bit though, do the walk into lake lothing) Norwich etc, all worth trying to get too. Pubs in order of preference, Dukes head Somerleyton (although if you book my table when I'm there I will find you!), White horse chedgrave (loddon), Reedcutters cantley (New owners, proper pub.. go starving though or suffer.. massive meals), Waverney house hotel, Beccles (nice spot.. food ok). Locks Geldeston.. can't think of anymore but these are enough. Enjoy
  19. 2 points
    I've just provisionally booked Oulton Broad yacht Station for July 23/24, 2016 for the Summer Meet. I'll start a new topic later today...
  20. 2 points
    I hope Wildfuzz is reading this, it occurs to me that there could be something rather more sinister behind this. Possibility 1. That there is an address to send a payment (or phone number) which has no relationship to the BA. Possibility 2. That it's a way of monitoring which boats are regulaly being used. Possibility 3. That there is an equally nasty possibility that I hadn't thought of!
  21. 2 points
    Time to get reality into this discussion and stop the stupid ranting!!! There is no doubt that there are harmful substances around which we all breathe and which do us no good!! Surely no one should question that the removal of lead from petrol was beneficial - there was plenty of evidence around that it was harmful. Similarly TBT - I havn't bothered even looking but I suspect that almost every survey was able to prove that TBT was bad for the environment.And equally so humans. Any biocide that kills organisms such as weed growth is PROBABLY poisionous to humans as well if ingested enough and perhaps you should take the view that this type of inquiry is only trying to keep you safe!!! I would not mind betting that many of you would try and sue a manufacturer who had put asbestos into a product, from which you subsequently contracted asbestosis?? Or your relatives might try?? Think about it because all those of you ranting above might fall into this category!!! Now I am not saying that I agree with this because it seems over the top as I have done it for many many years - I try to take precautions when I have done it by rubbing down with wet and dry and I am always very careful to ensure I never rub it down dry. But perhaps what you should be asking and more relevant to the Broads particularly, is whether antifouling is NEEDED on the Broads? There are many threads around on this topic and many yards use it infrequently or not at all - even low strength ones. So get off your political soap boxes and get back to the reality - is it really a nanny state that stops you from quite deliberately harming yourself and actually may be doing something in your best interests?? There are many many things in which the state have interfered for your benefit - just perhaps in 20 years time or so we will all look back and say " Did our parents really do it it like this and breathe in this poison???"
  22. 2 points
    Hello still looking for a experienced crew member to join me for our fantastic week's holiday on my beautiful boat ...
  23. 2 points
    Back from a really good weekend, which included a fantastic day at the T20 Cricket finals at Edgbaston on Saturday. It made the horrendous five hour journey up to Worcestershire on Friday (normally takes two and a half) worth it! I'm definitely not a professional writer (my background is in Logistics), but the Broads does tend to wring descriptive language out of me. I will be back to posting a section each day from now on. I'm having trouble uploading pictures again for whatever reason, but will try again later on the basis that the issue sorted itself out last time. Regards- Andy. Wednesday 19th August We all slept soundly and were awake by 0630. Outside it was grey, but there was a growing patch of pink sun in the Eastern sky which looked encouraging as we consumed our egg on toast in the wheelhouse. By the time we were ready to head off at 0830, hazy sunshine was beginning to seep through. It was good to be able to have the canopy down again, especially as the River Thurne was incredibly quiet as we headed towards Potter Heigham for water and a few provisions. I was conscious that I had made contact with the quay when leaving Herbert Woods on Saturday, but surely with my improved boat handling skills and less traffic it would be fine this time! As I approached Herbert Woods yard, there was a boy in a dinghy near the entrance. He did the right thing and moved to the far side of the entrance, but to avoid him I had to take a tighter line than I would otherwise have done. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have brought the boat to a stop and then turned in using my desired line, but I didn’t. On the positive side I was now skilled enough to wind on enough lock to stop the stern from hitting the quay as we turned in. However, the dinghy made contact and the rope securing it to Magical Light snapped. The dinghy was now loose and obstructing the entrance to the yard. We moored at the nearest water hose and while Janine and Joseph sorted out the ropes I ran round the quay to try to retrieve the dinghy. Fortunately the aforementioned lad had got hold of it and was bringing it into the boatyard alongside his own vessel, which was quite an achievement. I took it from him thanked him and praised him on his skill, which had put mine to shame. I returned to the boat, apologising to the occupants of HW’s bungalow “Bittern” for running across their quay to retrieve the dinghy. Fortunately, they were very understanding and thanked me for laying on entertainment while they had their breakfast. In the meantime, Joseph filled up the water and Janine had found someone from HW to get us a new length of dinghy rope, as the remainder was now too short to use. During the 10 minutes that we waited, Janine also managed to pop over to Lathams. The crew had performed fantastically- even if the helmsman was having a bad morning. The man from HW fitted the new rope (dinghy ropes were becoming a theme of the holiday) and we were soon on our way again. For the first time, I managed to negotiate the turn out onto the Thurne without boat or dinghy hitting the quay. This made me feel better, as did the strengthening sun and increasing temperature. The miles passed and we were now turning onto the Ant. It felt as if we had just changed down a few gears on life’s highway as we wound our way upriver in now glorious sunlight. We approached Ludham Bridge and (thankfully) had a clear run through. The river was busy, but most of the traffic seemed to be coming the other way. We reached How Hill at just gone midday. Most of the moorings were empty, but on approaching the tea rooms it seemed as if a lot of people from the local area had chosen to visit. After eating some very nice sandwiches purchased there outside, we went into the woods. The boys spent a couple of hours running off their pent-up energy from yesterday before we returned to what was now a very warm boat. With the canopy and screens down we set off towards Barton Broad with our objective being to find a wild mooring. Joseph in particular seemed keen on the idea of us mooring up on our own, so he stood on the deck beside the helm to help choose a spot. We saw a couple of potential locations which were rejected for not having enough tree cover. As Barton Broad came into view we were preparing to cross when Joseph spotted an unoccupied curve in the river bank on the left just before it opened out into the broad. Upon inspection it was deemed safe to moor and few minutes later we were tied up there, our stern rope round a tree trunk and our bow rope secured with a rond anchor. It was a fantastic spot, with ample tree cover but also the wide expanse of Barton Broad in view. There were a few paths into the trees on the bank, which the boys went off to explore. Sitting on the roof, we watched the passing river traffic and felt inspired to open a bottle of cider after seeing the occupants of one craft drinking wine on deck. The kids then had their tea while I ran the engine for a bit to make up the necessary hours before it would have impinged on the quietness of the evening. At 6 o’clock, Janine and Matthew settled down to play some board games , while Joseph and I prepared for another dinghy excursion. We rowed out onto Barton Broad with the wind at our backs, keeping just outside the navigation channel to the right of the green posts. At the third post we turned around and began the struggle back into the wind. It was good fun trying to edge the dinghy forward against the elements and we had a breather after we had progressed to the shelter of the river again. We then went downriver to ogle the houses at Irstead before returning with the aid of the wind. Janine and I had Pasta Arabbiata in the open wheelhouse before we closed the roof at 2000 and Matthew chose a DVD to watch. Enthused by the isolation of our mooring, Joseph joined Janine and I out on the roof watching the bevy of swans that seemed to rule this section of the Ant. Janine went in feeling the cold at nine, but Joseph stayed out with me to enjoy one of those evenings at a wild mooring on the Ant that stay with you forever. As the light drained from the sky, a colony of bats came out and began to swoop in the air above the boat. It was getting colder now, but we were enjoying ourselves so much that we stayed put and were rewarded with the sight of the stars emerging above the trees. We finally came in at quarter to ten as a tired Joseph needed his bed, following his brother who had turned in half an hour earlier. Janine and I then had a cup of tea in the wheelhouse with the lights off. There was just enough light in the sky and reflecting off the river for us to see what we were doing and the stars were now more pronounced. A detailed plan for the next day had yet to be formulated, but one thing was certain- we would be remaining on this glorious river.
  24. 1 point
    Hi everyone on our hols at present in the Kingshead Ludham,nice and sunny afternoon.Unlike yesterday and Sunday very very wet cold and blowly.Still having a good time.Stopped at Berney Arms yesterday,disappointed,staff (about six) fine but more interested in themselves. Such a shame always liked mooring there,won't rush back. Will post when I can,regards Ian
  25. 1 point
    Currently owned by the Colchester Group who own the Recruiting Sergeant amongst others, i believe. Used to be very good when they first bought it but IMHO went downhill when they changed the menus from specialist to "more ordinary" and the chef moved on about 3 years ago - went from outstanding to goodish. But they wanted to cater for a different market and did. I guess that its really not big enough in comparison with their other places.
  26. 1 point
    If the southern side is new to you then I wouldn't be in any hurry to go north. How long are you afloat for?
  27. 1 point
    The weather is certainly a mixed bag this week and it was a shame that the Bank Holiday Monday was such a complete washout.
  28. 1 point
    Works for me! have put the number on speed dial
  29. 1 point
    That's what i always do - work out my own times and then ring GY! They never seem to mind.. proper nice chaps! Thing is - it's supposed to be fun innit? If you have those guys saying "if you leave *insert place* at such a time and you'll be just right" you can just sit back and relax.. and i'm always well chuffed if my calculations are correct!
  30. 1 point
    I would doubt any rain would have much of an influence at Yarmouth as it's pretty much 100% tidal there. Although if a low pressure gets stuck in the north sea it may push the tides up a bit but at low water you should be OK. Best bet is to contact the YS there before you do a passage and get the local intel before leaving your mooring
  31. 1 point
    Car or trains work getting into norwich!!! i always moor in the dyke into the broad at rockland and you won't have depth problems. It's a pleasant walk to either the beachamp arms ( not impressed on s recent visit) or the new inne (well worth a visit). Loddon is great but although dredged recently I don't know how deep it is but it is narrow in places. coldham hall in brundall, waters edge in bramerton. Both good and moorings. The main Beccles road bridge is fine unless it's a whopper high tide.
  32. 1 point
    The Broads to many is in itself the attraction – the water, the moorings the lovely sunsets and the waterside pubs just are the icing on the cake. I do wonder however as cruisers get better equipped these are sure to attract first timers to the Broads, perhaps even from other waterways like the Thames or Canals but once on the water shore side facilities must leave many wanting. I do wonder what the future may be in the next decade but one thing seems for sure, you need to ‘spread your bets’ and have fingers in more than just the boat pie be that waterside accommodation, brokerages and/or private moorings so hopefully you remain overall a profitable business than one who is very susceptible to seasonal demand.
  33. 1 point
    I keep meaning to see if Jonzo wants to a "thesuffolkbroads.net" It will be far more up market consider the bling boats we have down here.. Including mine of course lol (plus no hirefleet (bases) at all.. (I think?!) geez that's scary alone.. poor Suffolk).
  34. 1 point
    if you take the VAT off you may be nearer the mark but a decent 45 will cost upward of £140k + vat to build not including heat light rent etc, not worth much more 5 years on including the VAT.. We all had a bad april/May this year, the main season is well booked as usual, anyone who is well up must have had a shocker last year as we are up a little but not a lot, considering the investment in boats year on year we would probably be down without them.
  35. 1 point
    Like the professionals - plug it into a computer then recommend replacement of the most expensive part listed first.
  36. 1 point
    I use windows movie maker (was already installed free on my computer). It's easy to use (handy for me!). Found it really easy to edit stuff in/out and it let's you add music ect.
  37. 1 point
    First the bad - after a disastrous start to the long weekend we had to abandon our trip Friday and limp home with an engine that had over-heated and a mega hydraulic fluid leak in the engine bay - and after it had just been cleaned to perfection!! Then it good good as the problem as the engine was fine at low revs so useable (to be looked at another day) and the leak eased so we could at least use the boat if we were careful. Got out with some friends and had a champion weekend (they were Geordies so I am still in character). Then more bad news, moored on Rockland dyke just by the river end and a boat decided to try and reverse out past me. After a few goes with the young lad driving and almost wedging it across the dyke (this was over 50yds away this started so plenty of room), Dad takes over!!! Tide is running out of the broad at probably 3mph and the boat is now coming at us, the bow on the quay heading and boat at 45 degs to it. i'm thinking no problem we will give it a blip and go forward. No chance, he whacks the only part of the boat I dont have a fender on. After getting a fender in place as quick as I could I managed to stop him then scraping down the side while he decided maybe he should go forward and take the long route back to the river as he drove off!!!! Fair play we all make mistakes - just so I don't get labelled as Mr perfect - but he just drove off without even checking the damage. Anyway we had the boat details so would follow up. The good news. About 45 mins later the guy turns up puffing and panting having moored up at the Beauchamp and walked back to us. Apologised for hitting the boat, exchanged details, took some pictures and when we called the boat yard on Monday he had already reported it in and they said just get it fixed. So there are some people who have a conscience and are decent out there after all. Mind you he did think we were a hire boat as well when he said we could just let the boatyards deal with it!! Maybe he meant us with his boatyard We are hoping it is very superficial, but until I can have a good look without it peeing with rain cant be certain. One saving grace I think was being on a ground anchor which the stern one was ripped out of the earth. If we had been on a post might have had different consequences. And that's why I always have 3 ground anchors out, as well as the anchor or mud weight. Still no one was hurt and we still had a champion pet weekend despite the Bank Holiday weather doing it's worst.. Must get more fenders
  38. 1 point
    The property when up for disposal I believe goes to an independent auctioneers. I will find out the details and let you know.
  39. 1 point
    Will do some checks today and let you know.
  40. 1 point
    Wonderfully descriptive writing Andy. Sounds like a fabulous day and a beautiful spot to moor up.
  41. 1 point
    if your going to put that up please get someone who can sing!! other than that I like it.
  42. 1 point
    We don't need pictures Andy.. you are detailing it perfectly!! This is one of the best write ups in a long long time! P.s if you still struggle email them over again and I'll upload..
  43. 1 point
    Let's keep politics out of it, please, peeps.
  44. 1 point
    Now at work this is called H&S read COSHH suit up full mask etc vac on back of sander etc, DIY'er sticks finger in air and works upwind so not to stand in the dust. This is call common sense which is not allowed at work. Part of my job is an enviromental auditor and to visit 6 large call centers twice a year to audit there environmental practices to keep them upto latest regs etc. And it comes down to everything being in a bund from cooking oil to a tin of paint, ok so we all know it's on pallets at your local diy store but rules are rules. I got pulled last month by a external auditer to why I hadn't picked up on 5 bags of grits on top end of a carpark. reason been if they split and it rains the salt could get into the drainage system, my reply - give it few months and he'll be throwing it round by the shovel full going into the drains - I was marked down for it.
  45. 1 point
    Well, Mark, not a lot more could go wrong over a weekend, could it? How refreshing to hear such a story about the other guy. It makes you have faith in the honesty of other peeps!
  46. 1 point
    Here was me thinking JM that going to the Pub...WAS a rainy day attraction! Iain
  47. 1 point
    Got a 2nd in my race yesterday, the 3rd boat retired!
  48. 1 point
    Phew! Not sure I'd like those figures - specially the downward ones. Always surprises me that breweries don't support their licensees more rather than the big squeeze they seem to put on them.
  49. 1 point
    Tuesday 18th August Having gone out like a light after climbing into bed last night, I woke up at about 2am and heard what was now an incessant drumming of rain on our cabin roof. After a while I went back to sleep until 0630 and a damp and grey scene greeted me when I looked out of the window. The plan for today was to get under the bridge early and then cruise to somewhere around Ant Mouth, ready to go up my favourite Broads river the following day under better weather conditions. After bacon sandwiches our normal morning routine was completed in time for us to set off at 0830. Easing on the throttle as we pulled out onto the river, there was a loud crash from the back of the boat and the sound of crying. With the canopy and screens up, I was not aware of what had happened, so I sent Matthew from the forward cabin into the rear dining area to find out. It turned out that having untied the front of the boat and walked back along the decks using the handrail, Joseph had been climbing down into the well when I applied the throttle. This had caused him to slip on the wet deck and fall down into the well, cracking the front of his head on one of the steps. As Janine got him inside and put a cold compress on his head, I did a less happy lap of Bridge Broad before she joined me to moor up stern on at the Kings Head. It was not the best mooring. With less room to line the boat up than I had at Salhouse I could not get the angle right and I tapped Monte Carlo from Richardsons coming in. One of the occupants emerged to help us with the ropes and he waved away my apologies on the grounds that the impact was negligible. He was very friendly and I would normally have chatted for longer, but I wanted to see how Joseph was. When I got back on the boat, he was in the wheelhouse under a blanket. He was ashen and a large lump was forming over his right eye. As Janine gave him some Calpol and a cup of sugary tea it was obvious that we were not going anywhere soon. I decided we all needed some chocolate, so Matthew and I set off into Hoveton to buy some. By the time we returned, Joseph had his colour back and he devoured his Fry’s Peppermint Cream with relish. We decided to leave and the bridge pilot indicated that he would be ready to take us under in a few minutes. The rain was still beating down, so we moved the TV and seat cushions into the front cabin before lowering the canopy. Much as I prefer centre cockpit boats, this is an undeniable downside. Once under the bridge we dropped off the pilot onto the decks of Blue Gem, which was waiting to go the opposite way. Janine wound the canopy up whilst I helmed the boat downriver. I had not liked the restricted view that I had with the wiper-less screens up, so these were left down. With the TV and cushions still in the cabin and a towel spread over the dash, this was quite an effective way of keeping dry and maintaining visibility. Conscious that the boatyards could well be full of moored boats in this weather, we decided to go to Salhouse Broad for water. It was virtually deserted, so we moored up with me using the plentiful space to try to rebuild my stern mooring confidence. Joseph came out on deck to help with the water hose and was now looking much better. We pressed on downriver. It was busy now, although the rain was becoming lighter. Coming upon the moorings at St Benets, we saw a suitable sized gap and pulled in, with Joseph making a welcome return to deck duties. It was five past midday and we were all hungry, so the screens were put up and ham and cheese toasties prepared. After lunch, we decided to go for a walk around the Abbey. A low mist was rising off the sodden landscape which added to the mystical atmosphere of the place, especially when a sail negotiating a twist in the river appeared to be gliding across the fields like a ghostly apparition. As we walked to the cross where the high altar used to be, the rain began to lash down. We were wet through when we got back to the boat, but glad to have had a walk. It was decided that we would try for one of my favourite Broads moorings for the night- Womack Island. I had some trouble getting Magical Light off the bank owing to the wind, with the advice that Robin gave on this subject on his Belmore TC blog having leaked from my mind at a most inconvenient moment. Eventually we got clear and set off with the canopy up and screens down once again. When we turned left at the fork at the end of Womack Dyke, I was reminded why I love this stretch so much. The trees seemed to crowd the river and the scene was reminiscent of the creek at Salhouse. Unfortunately, the occupants of the two other boats moored on the Island clearly saw the appeal as well. Coming up the Dyke, we had seen a large unoccupied bay on the left which was quay headed without posts. This was still free as we came back the other way, so I nosed the bow in and then got off for Janine to throw the rope to me to pull the stern in. The bay was the perfect size for Magical Light and her dinghy, which we tied closely to the stern having tied the rond anchors to the cleats. It was a lovely secluded spot, but after a day in the rain our main focus was to get dry. The screens were put back, wet clothes changed and hung up and the boat swept free of the mud that had accumulated over the course of the day. Having put the wheelhouse back together, we all played board games and drank tea while the rain continued to hammer down outside. After a family Spaghetti Bolognese, the boys watched yet another DVD on the reinstalled TV. Janine and I washed up and then sat in the dining area finishing off the Chianti we had with our meal. By now the rain had stopped, so we wandered out into the well to enjoy the misty views across the landscape. However, it was too damp and cold to linger outside for long so we came in. After sending the boys to bed we had a cup of tea in the wheelhouse whilst discussing our plans for the following day. The forecast was good and we were set to go up the Ant.
  50. 1 point
    Could be interesting, a cruise in company down to London for a meet.

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.