The Big Fish Off

For all you Anglers out there, the Fish off ( turn off) returns on Thursday on BBC4.

Hosted by professional loudmouth, self styled expert angler  and general irritant Dean Macey and co-hosted by big-fish bore Ali Hamidi,

Guaranteed to be full of high fives, babbling about P.B.'s, gurning, shouting and clomping about, no sane wildlife for miles, there will be no resemblance whatsoever to a quiet misty morning casting a line into a reedy swim on the Bure and of course there will be competition between various "celebraties" that nobody has heard of.

I don't like to appear a moaner all the time but I really loved A passion for Angling with Chris Yates and the Compleat Angler with Geoffery Palmer and Ray Borass, Lovely stuff.

This dross isn't fishing.

• Like 3

Troutman, I've said this before, I could watch A Passion for Angling all day long, absolutely beautiful to watch two very nice and proper gentleman fishing and drinking wine, my idea of heaven lol, I would fish with them any day of the week and drink the wine, of course cheers

Grace

• Like 3

On 04/04/2016 at 9:25 AM, Baitrunner said:

Think yourself lucky it's recorded and edited and not live?:facepalm:

I might do my owns "Anglers Blog" in the style of Robin - Only you may not see any fish, just boats and people waving:bow

Bring back Out of Town with Jack Hargreaves.

Do you mean that the filming would just consist of an on-going selfie ?:naughty:

• Like 2

On 04/04/2016 at 9:25 AM, Baitrunner said:

Think yourself lucky it's recorded and edited and not live?:facepalm:

I might do my owns "Anglers Blog" in the style of Robin - Only you may not see any fish, just boats and people waving:bow

Bring back Out of Town with Jack Hargreaves.

Out of town was brilliant !

Well Peter's now proved conclusively that it is still possible.....

http://<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4e_jfU9eTSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

edit - but I still can't find how I used to be able to do it.

I tried the "link" icon in the reply box menu, and the "insert other media" button, but neither seem to work, with either the youtube URL or the embedded code link.

I can't find the post "preview" facility either, hence me having to try things live, like this....

57 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Horrible knotted keep-net, arghhhhh! 

Somewhere among my Great Granddad's fishing tackle I still have his landing net. Homemade split bamboo handle and a hand crocheted net made by my Great Gran.

When he returned home from World War 1 he was too ill from the gas to return to work down the pit. He earned money to support the family from match fishing. My Dad, Uncle Albert, as a young boy around six or seven would have to carry Great Grandad's fishing tackle to the venue and then after the match would carry the tackle home while Great Grandad would visit the pub and drink half of his winnings.

I suppose he was a bit of a Macey in his time. When Uncle Albert inherited the old boy's split cane rods he took them to Archer's tackle shop in Doncaster. Old Mr Archer looked at the Archer's label on the rod and said 'hang on I'll bring father'. I was around nine years old at the time and couldn't help thinking 'Old Mr Archer must be about a hundred and he's gonna bring his father? He'll need a shovel!"

Sure enough Old, Old Mr Archer was wheeled out and he picked up the rods.
"Oh ah med these for Bill Johnson in 1929, but they feel wrong...too heavy!"
With that he whipped off the but end of the rod and took out a drilled bullet.
"He had a game right arm after they tied him t' cannon and let wheel's run over it for flinchin when a shell 'it us! This will be to balance rod 'owt when he old!" said the old man.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jonzo said:

It should be possible... In fact I seem to remember IPS saying it was easier now.

I'm on my phone now so I can't check - maybe someone else can investigate...

This is a screen capture of all of the embed and link options that I get in the forum's post reply window.

"Insert other media" gives the choice of a previously uploaded image, or "image from URL", which appears to be static images only.

The chain icon in the menu pops a window that takes a URL with the option of an alternative visible text for the link.

I've tried pasting the Youtube main URL and also the embedded code link into the URL box, and neither display the youtube vid panel.

Most of the other forums that I use have a "media" or "embedded code" icon, which I thought the NBN had previously, but it doesn't appear now ?

link and embed options.jpg

23 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

No, not at all. Just it's odd that that feature has disappeared.

Peter seems to be managing to embed Vids  still.

Maybe there's a knack to using the URL box if we all get the same options.

2 hours ago, Jonzo said:

No, not at all. Just it's odd that that feature has disappeared.

Is it a menu feature that has disappeared for everyone Jonzo ?

Or is it just that I haven't managed to work out how it is accomplished now ?

Please ignore this reply everyone,

I'm just testing a few ideas, and I have to do it as a live reply, as there is no post "preview" option.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fD-oZrZLsCE?feature=oembed

Blast !!  :roll:

It was so easy Jonzo, you just have to drop the damn youtube url straight into the reply window, and the forum code recognises it and auto-converts.......