Horning Boat Show

HemsbyPie

harks back to the days when the pub closed at nine kicking us out on the street

Got the same T shirt,  it happened to us one October and there were 20-odd of us playing darts in the evening.  2100 we were out as staff wanted to close bar and go home

Griff

• Like 1

Quote from Polly"

We had a most enjoyable visit, looked longingly at Colin Buttifant's boats. Checked out Elisamoose's very smart new Cat's Whiskers, met the lovely new Annie of  Whelpton's - looks like the yard is in good hands; and lunched with SteveO and Nik at the sailing club, where we said 'Hello' to Q. "

And I was somewhat shocked was surprised to find anyone, who knew who I was....

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 7:39 AM, BroadAmbition said:

the staff are so friendly and helpful and all way's make you feel :welcome:.

Really? - Not what we experienced a fortnight ago at the New Inn.  We berthed stern on along with Robin, met up with Jason so there were six of us round a table in the bar during the afternoon. As it approached 1700-ish we were asked to vacate the moorings unless we intended to eat in the pub that evening.  We intended to eat onboard but continue to use the bar for the evening - Nope - that was not acceptable, so we had to sail.  Now if the moorings had been full or craft waiting then of course we should move on to enable customers to stay over that are having meals in the pub, but the moorings were far from full.  So we sailed, leaving yet more empty moorings, next morning on passing they were still places empty - Seems a strange way to run a business, turning down custom unless you intend to have dinner.  I wonder if they treat car parking customers the same way, that is -  No dinner - No parky

Griff

I can only say that we have had one "good experience" there and that was in 2009. The remainder echoes Griifs comments.  I doubt we will bother anymore. 

All Broads' pubs need patronage and it is sad to read such tales of what I am regularly told by some others is a good pub. 

I used to use the New Inn a lot when we were in Horning and always found it friendly but expensive (at least for beer). The open Mic nights were the big draw for me and we used to enjoy the quiz nights too; we tended to treat the place as our local for a time. 

However, I haven't been in there in years now. The fact that we are no longer in Horning is not the reason. 

Well it is a fact that moorings are in short supply in horning,the ferry charge TEN POUND a night not sure if that is refunded if you buy a meal.The Swan has few moorings.The New Inn don't charge but ask that you have food there,which I  think is reasonable.The pub changed hands last year and is much improved.

Horning is a place everyone want's to stop at cheersbar. If you are arriving by car or coach, then you have the car park, just as you drive down from the main road from Wroxham, but if you are arriving by boat then that is when the problem start :River Police. The Swan and The Ferry Inn have spaces for day boats only during the day, so hire craft can not moor at those mooring until after 17:00. The New Inn has the dyke for day boats during day time and hire craft moor on the front. For the evening it all changes :bow. If you want to moor at one of the pub, then you either pay to moor there (you may get your money back if you eat) or you are asked to book a table for dinner.          

Horning NEEDS more basic mornings, but where :shocked could it be built?

Regards

Marina  :Stinky 

Horning has always been short of moorings, but don't forget, hire craft can moor at Ferry Marina. Private boats would probably be welcome too.

The Ferry Inn also operates a ferry service (using my old ferry) to and from Woodbastwick Staithe. When you add these into the equation, suddenly, Horning has quite a lot of mooring, though not nearly enough. Wroxham is now equally short of mooring, especially with the losses beyond the railway line.  

I think that it is rather ungracious to ask a boat to leave your moorings if they do not intend to buy food later but where the same boat's occupants have been spending money all day on drinks (with the high likelihood that they will continue to do so into the evening). 

Sure, it is challenging to get this policy right; everything has to be paid for and maintaining a public mooring will be more expensive than car park, but antagonising existing customers has got to be a bad thing; you're stopping people who have been hitherto happy to spend money in your establishment from spending money in the immediate future and, likely alienating them from returning in the future. To do it to a vessel that is regularly in use by a bunch close-knit syndicate of owners.......  

• Like 5

We have had a great week away and The New Inn was part of that. Quiz Night on Friday by car, Steve and Nik were great company and we all enjoyed our meals. 

We had guests expected for Weds, they haven't seen much of the river, but as last time we took them to Salhouse, Great Hoveton and Wroxham Broad, I thought this time we would go from Horning.

I booked us in for two nights mooring, we ate very well, just the two of us on Tuesday night and then the pick up of our Wednesday guests was comfortable and easy. A trip to the deli for Hornish pasties, a quick cup of coffee, we had had breakfast earlier, and away we went. :Sailing We sailed South Walsham, took a walk at St Benet's, had an ice-cream at Ranworth  and took our keen ornithologist friend to Cockshoot, where we knowledgeably identified ducks and gulls in case he hadn't noticed them.:party:

All four of us had a good meal at the New Inn at the end of a lovely day out, they left and we stayed overnight, managing breakfast before heading back to our mooring.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jonzo said:

I've long thought that the solution is to put in a marina down a dyke at the end of the village with a footpath (or even footbridge and have it on the other bank) into the village - And provide plenty of space for hire boats, perhaps something the size of the Ricko's marina.

There's certainly plenty of room up School Road beyond the old Pleasurecraft marina, (if that's the "end of the village" that you mean Jonzo)..

I think it would be impractical on the opposite bank though, the Cators would be very unlikely to sell  any riverside land given their stance with the Woodbastwick moorings lease.

Any footbridge would also have to be an expensive opening one too, as it would introduce an airdraught limitation where none currently exist.

horning aerial.jpg

On 04/05/2016 at 1:59 PM, Jonzo said:

I don't like being negative about Broads businesses as I know how hard it is to balance the unbelievably quiet winter months that many people don't see against the busy summer, but I can't say we were amazed with the service when we recently ate there.

They weren't rude (although we did come by car), but I just think they weren't up to the level you need to be at these days.

I think one of the problems with the pubs that seem not to be trying is that they possibly assume that in the main they are dealing with a transient customer base and therefore think it's not worth putting in the effort to build a good reputation. We've never been in the New Inn so can'tcomment..However we frequently tie up outside Coldham Hall and if we're there early evening someone always comes out to ask if we will wlil be having dinner there. That's usually the plan anyway so don't know what the response would be if we said no. That said I think it's entirely reasonable for them to prefer the moorings to be occupied by patrons who are eating. We've never been asked for a mooring fee there. There are definitely not enough public moorings in Horning or Wroxham. As a private boat owner it's not always desirable to moor where most of the other boats are hire boats. For everyone of you that hire year and year out and have learned how to handle the boat there are a dozen who haven't a clue how to handle a boat and never seem to solve the mystery of what happens to the stern when you pull hard over on the wheel. Been sideswiped too often  to risk it these days

Regards

Carole

• Like 3

Carol, there are more than a few private boat-owners who haven't got a clue either, and very often they have far more horses under the deck too. We were moored outside the Surlingham Ferry when, at about seven on a blissfully quiet and misty morning a Haines Sedan shoots past the twenty odd boats moored there just off the plane. Pig ignorant so and so!

• Like 5

On 5/1/2016 at 7:39 AM, BroadAmbition said:

the staff are so friendly and helpful and all way's make you feel :welcome:.

Really? - Not what we experienced a fortnight ago at the New Inn.  We berthed stern on along with Robin, met up with Jason so there were six of us round a table in the bar during the afternoon. As it approached 1700-ish we were asked to vacate the moorings unless we intended to eat in the pub that evening.  We intended to eat onboard but continue to use the bar for the evening - Nope - that was not acceptable, so we had to sail.  Now if the moorings had been full or craft waiting then of course we should move on to enable customers to stay over that are having meals in the pub, but the moorings were far from full.  So we sailed, leaving yet more empty moorings, next morning on passing they were still places empty - Seems a strange way to run a business, turning down custom unless you intend to have dinner.  I wonder if they treat car parking customers the same way, that is -  No dinner - No parky

Griff

An all 'lads' group? Perhaps they had been warned!

• Like 1

On 04/05/2016 at 1:59 PM, Jonzo said:

I don't like being negative about Broads businesses as I know how hard it is to balance the unbelievably quiet winter months that many people don't see against the busy summer, but I can't say we were amazed with the service when we recently ate there.

They weren't rude (although we did come by car), but I just think they weren't up to the level you need to be at these days.

On 06/05/2016 at 3:27 PM, JennyMorgan said:

Carol, there are more than a few private boat-owners who haven't got a clue either, and very often they have far more horses under the deck too. We were moored outside the Surlingham Ferry when, at about seven on a blissfully quiet and misty morning a Haines Sedan shoots past the twenty odd boats moored there just off the plane. Pig ignorant so and so!

That's really bad news at any time of the day nevermind 7.00am! I have been known to remonstrate on similar occasions. Another mystery I've never been able to solve is why, when they have the whole width of the river at their disposal do some boaters feel it necessary to pass within a very few feet of moored craft. While moored at St. Benets last summer, our stay was made a misery by these pests. One chap came hurtling along very close to the bank heading at speed for our stern,I really don't, 

On 06/05/2016 at 7:15 PM, Polly said:

Addicted, is there an echo on your PC ? :)

know how he missed us. It was terrifying and I shall never moor there again, which is a pity because in all other respects it's a lovely spot.

Regards,

Carole

On 06/05/2016 at 7:15 PM, Polly said:

Addicted, is there an echo on your PC ? :)

I'm.not sure I understand the question but if I say that I'm using a recently acquired tablet with which I' m far from proficient does that answer it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, addicted said:

That's really bad news at any time of the day nevermind 7.00am! I have been known to remonstrate on similar occasions. Another mystery I've never been able to solve is why, when they have the whole width of the river at their disposal do some boaters feel it necessary to pass within a very few feet of moored craft. While moored at St. Benets last summer, our stay was made a misery by these pests. One chap came hurtling along very close to the bank heading at speed for our stern,I really don't, know how he missed us. It was terrifying and I shall never moor there again, which is a pity because in all other respects it's a lovely spot.

Regards,

Carole

some boaters feel it necessary to pass within a very few feet of moored craft.

Carole, they are told to stick to the right hand bank and come hell or high water that is what they do! I've even had one big, three decker, complete with pram hood, overtake on my right side, brushing hard against the reeds and literally leaving only inches between us! Meanwhile on my left there was thirty or forty feet of open water.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2016 at 2:04 PM, addicted said:

I think one of the problems with the pubs that seem not to be trying is that they possibly assume that in the main they are dealing with a transient customer base and therefore think it's not worth putting in the effort to build a good reputation.

And that, in my humble opinion is the case with most of the Broadland riverside pubs. I've been told as much by more than one 'mine host'.! Locals only drink beer, and not much at that - and they hardly ever eat. Now why would that be , I wonder ?:rolleyes:

• Like 1