Horning Boat Show

HemsbyPie

4 hours ago, Poppy said:

And that, in my humble opinion is the case with most of the Broadland riverside pubs. I've been told as much by more than one 'mine host'.! Locals only drink beer, and not much at that - and they hardly ever eat. Now why would that be , I wonder ?:rolleyes:

How short sighted is that? What a bad business attitude. If you go into  a business that involves entertaining the general public then it's entirely cynical to make a decision as to which  customers are worth making an effort for and displays an attitude that deserves to result in the ultimate failure of the business.. Whatever business you are in the aim should be to leave every customer happy. It's not rocket science to work out that  some boaters on their oats and are therefore not transient and hire boaters often come back year after year and have long memories.not to mention this forum!

Regards,

Carole

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

some boaters feel it necessary to pass within a very few feet of moored craft.

Carole, they are told to stick to the right hand bank and come hell or high water that is what they do! I've even had one big, three decker, complete with pram hood, overtake on my right side, brushing hard against the reeds and literally leaving only inches between us! Meanwhile on my left there was thirty or forty feet of open water.

Probably, in his / her mind, giving you a big hint you weren't keeping to the right!!

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Probably, in his / her mind, giving you a big hint you weren't keeping to the right!!

I was well over to the right of centre! Just how near to the bank should we travel? Is it wrong to avoid anglers? Is it wrong to avoid hammering the reedbeds & bank with our wash? 

18 hours ago, addicted said:

Another mystery I've never been able to solve is why, when they have the whole width of the river at their disposal do some boaters feel it necessary to pass within a very few feet of moored craft.

Carol.. It's because we are all being nosy... or it's practice to see just how close they can get... Or they are steering a boat like Orca and the boats off doing it's own thing... :hardhat: 

• Like 2

If you note I said in his / her mind, without seeing exactly what happened I have no true judgement., The recommendation says Keep to the right, some interpret that as keeping most of the boat just to the right of the centre line, some interpret that as brushing the reeds.

Going through a regatta,  I'd ask you to keep the gap down to the bank to a couple of feet, as then the sailies can't get between you and the bank, the rest of the time I'd expect you to be a few more feet out.

4 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

Carol.. It's because we are all being nosy... or it's practice to see just how close they can get... Or they are steering a boat like Orca and the boats off doing it's own thing... :hardhat: 

if they're being nosy I'd rather show them over  the boat than have  them clatter into it! I suspect the second explanation is  closest to the truth, as it frequently feels like we're being used as target  practice.  The question I often find myself asking is would they drive their car like that? Some of them probably would. But on the occasions that  I have actually asked that question of a particularly idiotic boater a look of comprehension comes over their face which seems to indicate that finally they have got it  into perspective  Or am I just being optimistic?

regards,

Carole

I have been guilty of cruising quite close to moored Boats, being nosy, yes, a passion for Boats and wanting to get a good look, yes, I don't consider myself an idiot though. Having given it some thought, maybe it's an invasion of privacy, would I like it, no, will I do it in the hopefully not too distant future, no, not after reading some of the above. It's surprising what you can learn from being a member of a Forum such as this, doing something you thought was harmless can actually upset people, that's the last thing I would ever do intentionally.

Grace

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Gracie said:

I have been guilty of cruising quite close to moored Boats, being nosy, yes, a passion for Boats and wanting to get a good look, yes, I don't consider myself an idiot though. Having given it some thought, maybe it's an invasion of privacy, would I like it, no, will I do it in the hopefully not too distant future, no, not after reading some of the above. It's surprising what you can learn from being a member of a Forum such as this, doing something you thought was harmless can actually upset people, that's the last thing I would ever do intentionally.

Grace

Grace, having read so many of your posts, I'm sure you would never do anything  knowingly that would cause upset. You're quite right in what you say say about learning by being on this forum. It would never have occurred to me that people come too close simply in order to get s better look at the boat. We just worry that they might hit us sometimes, when they come as close as some of them do as we have been sideswiped by hire boaters who hadn't worked out  what happens to their  stern when they pull away from us and it's a constant worry when you're moored and craft continually come very close.

regards,

Carole

• Like 1

Brilliant was moored below Ludham Bridge one Bank Holiday and was hit 4 times according to Warp. That was very likely stern swinging as the helms tried to wait for the bridge. 

I imagine he had as many fenders out as we do when moored there, loads!

• Like 1