Shore Power Battery Chargers

Baz

Hi all,

Could you tell me please, a good mains battery charger, ( to charge two 110A Leisure Batteries ) while I'm on my boat at my mooring. I've read about quite a few now, but the 'C-Tec' charger seems to be a good one, am I right, or is there a cheaper one that fits the bill. When not on the boat, a solar panel with regulator, will charge these batteries.

Many thanks in advance.

Baz

Hi Baz

I've been a long term fan of Ctek chargers for many years now.

Yes they are a bit more expensive than some others but you do get a decent warranty with them and the are the best!

I have had one on all the boats right back to Blue Skies our Viking 26. Our present boat Braveheart has a new one (January) this year a MXS10 which keeps 3 x 115A/H plus 1x 95A/H combined happy.

I reckon a MXS7 would do you fine for 2x110A/H batteries.

Hunt around on the net for the best price, I got my MXS10 for nearly half price and it was with me within two days!

What size solar panel have you got? I fitted a 200Watt panel with a super tracking type regulator works a treat when we are off shorepower, keeps the batteries topped up even with the fridge and tv etc. on the go.

John.

I too have a cheap Lidl one for general charging at home (lots of small 12V batteries) - but that doesnt automatically restart if the power drops, it has to be started manually, in the caravan we have a CTEK.

1 hour ago, Jonzo said:

I think I need to get one of those CTek ones... We have a car battery for running the lighting rig on the NBN gazebo and it only gets charged when I remember :facepalm:

Tie a piece of string round your finger! Failing that,strap the charger round your waist! Job done ! :naughty:

12 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

We have 'Stirling' equipment onboard 'B.A' since we recommissioned her in 2007 - never a hint of an issue - recommended

Griff

Same here! Excellent but the prices...  wow!

Inverter Chargers.

Here are two pictures..

51P8rz2ICyL.jpg

Sterling.jpg

One is a 1,500w Pure Sign Wave inverter with a 45 Amp Charger and the other is a 1,500w Pure Sign Wave Inverter with a 45 Amp Charger. They both are made in China, and both have a 12 month warranty.

Difference is one is branded Sterling and costs £1,019.99 and the other £339.99.

This is an example not of one being a clone, but a single design being 'badged' by many companies and an example of how a badge can make so much difference in price.

• Like 1

That is a good spot LondonRascal, I'll be needing an Inverter soon (although48V) and if Stirling are using that type of Inverter you can guarantee they'll have done some research on the matter...

I already have researched and found one sold by a company that supplies such things for those with Solar Panels on homes and battery banks - it is a little more expensive but has things like a fancy little LCD display to tell you what it is doing, not to mention the 3Kw inverter - pure sign wave of course.

s-l1000.jpg

What we want is a heavy, chunky decent transformer that can cope with loads (though if you bung on 3Kw for any length of time it would not like it so I'd say max contentious 2.5Kw and 3Kw for shorter periods.

As to the charging side of matters - these units come with the charging capability built in. The prices are not horrendous - even the one I compared with the Sterling is a combi inverter/charger just it has a smaller inverter capacity so is cheaper. 

The one I just posted with the charger and inverter (3Kw) comes in at £469.00. It also seems to have the same 'remote' as the sterling so would fit where the current inverter power switch goes which is handy too.

The benefit as I see it is, should ever we have an issue with the shore powered charger this is a back-up built in system that is waiting to go and would not then require a new seperate charger.

Just remember to install a suitable size cable - 3kW at 12V is pulling about 250A, all the cables up to the inverter and those between the batteries would need to be able to carry that comfortably (that will flatten BA's new battery bank in about 3 Hours - 1 1/2 hours of only taking the bank to 50% capacity).

Its also worth checking the consumption of the inverter when nothing is being used, as the bigger the inverter the more standby current at no load.

I should add that the above are more robust and simply as are Low frequency inveters - this means they have a heavy powerful transformer inside, which is much more reliable and tougher than electronic MOSFETs used in high frequency inverters.

As a result, the inverter is able to withstand up (9kW) peak power for several seconds. Higher frequency inverters cannot do this (well maybe for about half a second to a second).  Low frequency also mean they offer a true, pure sine wave. 

While this is Australian this video will explain more:

9kW would need 750A rated cables at 12V, the cables will be your weak link whatever you do. 95mm2 cable is rated at 500A which is the biggest I can find - this cable is the same cross section as the stuff we use at work to supply large shops.

35mm2 cable is rated at 240A, this is the size we use at work to supply small retail and commercial premesis (we use 25mm2 for a house service)

Though we use cables at 240V and 415V so the current is less for the same kW.

95mm2 cable in solid form is not that easy to bend (though the big stuff we use at 300mm2 is even less easy)

Grendel you certainly talk a lot of sense, great to have your help and advice too. 

In all honestly, the likely hood of us needing to use 3Kw is going to be low, more often would be odd requirement for 2kw+ for short term use like  hairdryer instead of using a small 'travel' type ones which don't seem to cut the mustard so I am told. It also opens up possibilities of things like a Microwave - though Shiela is murmured that 'a rice cooker would be nice' on her last visit. :facepalm:

Why is it the women seem to need so much electrical power to keep them happy? (actually that sounds rude so I'll say no more).

• Like 1

At this rate Robin, I'll be bringing along my site 110v transformer so they can use heavy duty 'appliances' . . . . .:?

Not sure the size of cables presently fitted other than that they are thick multi core - Howard will know and I have asked him to have a look at this thread which he will do when he gets in from work today

Griff

• Like 1

But thinking on, when the upgraded inverter is fitted, or the Beta is running (or we plugged into shore power), we will have the option / choice of using an electric kettle or the gas one.  Downside is that means having / stowing two kettles onboard.  At least we can upgrade the toaster to a larger quicker one, and at last be able to have 'Hot Crumpets' onboard.    -  Steady on Grace . . . . . . .

Griff

• Like 1