BMC engine oil

Guest JohnT

I am sure there has been much said on this subject on a forum, but im dammed if i can find it so, as the recommendation is for 20w and no other info in the Tempest manual that i have, whats your poison (as the saying goes) and where might i purchase it in the wroxham area?

I have heard that Morris oils are good although at £63 for 25lts delivered, not cheap. Anyone know of a supplier in the wroxham area then I can save the postage!

JohnT

If it's a BMC diesel then I guess something like Rotella would do the job nicely, most commercial places will do some cheap I am sure. I can't really see the point in using a straight weight when there are so many high quality multi viscosity products out there, its not exactly a V12 racing engine after all.

Thank you for your replies so far, can anyone tell me where I can purchase Morris oils local ish to Wroxam?

Antares9 yes rotella S was a specified oil, but(and there is allways a but) they do not produce it any longer! so I posted on the Shell/rotella forum, to see if the later spec was ok, still waiting a reply. You are dead right its not a V12 racing engine (wish it was it would be easier to find an oil for it to bathe in! )the issue seems to lie in the better quality of semi synthetic and synthetic oil is too good, and produces glazed bores (no not stuck up shortsighted toffs) cylinders, it is to do with slow reving lightly loaded diesels.

Anyway for those of you still awake (yawn)

thanks again for your input so far.

cheerscheersbar

JohnT

:Stinky

Hi John

i spoke to my dad about this one as hes in the motor trade

so if you find out what sort of oil you want and how much of it my dad might be able to get it much cheaper than you got quoted. now as were in Manchester we will be down on the 23 of this month and if you wish and want the oil we can deliver and meet up and bring the oil with us.

now as we will be able to get it far cheaper farther said he will just add a little bit of cost for bringing it down with us not much tho.

so please let is know what you would like to do mate :pirate

Hello

Did i alot of trials with different oils over the years ,and believe it or not some of the more expensive one did'nt hold up that well,20/50 as stated earlier is correct for a BMC and if i could also add that i found COMMA normal mineral oil preformed better than any of the other 's ,from oil change to oil change the level stayed at the same place on the dip stick

strangley it was the cheapest at around the £8 mark ,i think you can get it from Halfords

hope this helps

Thanks Robin & co

checked on the wilco site and there are 4 shops in Norwich and we pass one on our way to the boat at Wroxham. Just for reference the 20/50 is now £12.99 and the straight 30 is £13.99.

Thanks everyone I knew you had the answers, I just had to ask the right question!

JohnT cheersbar

:Stinky

i think my dad can get it much cheaper mate.

Thank you for the offer Jonny, problem is I will be down at the boat middle of this week and need to get the work done. Don't tell me how much your Dad can get it for you will probably have my wallet in tears!

cheersbar

JohnT