So, Air, or Water heater

I'm now sold on the idea of the Eberspacher heater, but do I go for the Water version, but no room for a radiator, or do I go for the blown air type, and with still no hot water ?

Just one problem after another eh

Baz

Surely you could fit a calorifier to a boat of that design and size?

Anyway, I believe you can get a variation which not only heats water but provides heat via a matrix (like you would get in a car), in which everything would be catered for.

Hiya Plesbit,

To be honest, I'm trying to get all these items of equipment straight in my mind, as it's all very confusing. The last boat I had was a few centuries ago, and things have moved on so much since then, and I now have to catch up. I'll get there though, lol

Baz

Well Webasto, Eberspacher and Mikuni (is it?) make warm air heaters which can be powered by either petrol or diesel (make sure you get the right one. This takes the form of warm air central heating for the boat's living area. They also make water boilers and, I believe, the water boiler systems can also be fitted with a matrix so they can provide blown hot air too - in other words provide you with both heat and hot water. But they won't come cheap.

A calorifier provides hot water via the engine. I'm probably the least qualified person in the world to advise on anything technical and I am sure someone more qualified will be along soon, but until they are here is my attempt to explain. It may be wrong, in which case I am sure it will be corrected. Basically, as far as I can tell, a calorifier is essentially just a tank connected to your main fresh water system. Running through the core of the tank is what amounts to an element - only instead of being electrically powered hot water from the engine cooling system is pumped through it via a feed and return system from the engine's cooling system header tank. This heats the water in the tank until eventually that water is the same temperature as the water running around the engine. Some calorifiers also have electrical elements so you can also heat the water electrically when you're connected to shorepower.

We had a Webasto 3500 airtop blown air heater fitted earlier in the year, few teething problems due to voltage drop but soon sorted out once identified, our hot water is via a calorifier although the guy who supplied and fitted ours does both types and was very reasonable, Under £500 for a second hand but refurbished unit, supplied and fitted to BSC standard (the ductwork was already in place) I will PM you his phone number if you like he is a nice chap, comes and does it at your mooring, we just left him a key, and may be able to offer you other options.

PS. ask him about silencers if you go for the blown air type, they can be a bit noisy as we found out so we have bought one off ebay brand new for £25. :wave