Friday Girl's August Wanderings

Hockham Admiral

8 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Iain, thank you so. More to follow tomorrow if I feel capable in the morning....................    cheersbar

Enjoy the company and the guid ale, for now. Pics and vids later, thank you.

cheersIain

Just got back from our annual trip over to the Northern Broads .So lucky with the weaather, moorings too. went over Sunday midday stayed at the acle bridge moorings .Ate at the Acle Bridge Sunday night.first time we've been there since it changed hands very nice people, disappointed with the greatly reduced and rather ordinary menu. But that said,what we had was very nice. Went to Horning next morning, couldn't believe our luck got a mooring on Horning staithe,with electric hook up. Cruised to Wroxham, next morning,passed Friday Girl on the way, then turned round at Wroxham and headed for my favourite mooring Womack Water arrived about midday and actually had a choice of moorings unbelievable! Weather fabulous.had dinner in the pub in Ludham Had the largest bowl of mussels I've ever been served. Wonderful! Left Tuesday morning cruised through Ranworth on to Horning no moorings available there' sadly, returned to Acle,stayed overnight and through till about 1.30p next day took a very slow cruise back to G. Yarmouth,Managed to creep under the bridges with a massive 3 inches to spare about 4.15pm and. Back to Brundall arriving 7.30pm.great trip can't wait to do it again!

Regards,

Carole

• Like 3

I mentioned the Nanni 50 F/C graph earlier and here it is for those interested. It makes quite sobering thought when you consider the large amounts of juice that you can use at higher rpm!   

Nanni FC graph.jpg

I would have been using less than half of Paul's fuel consumption..... and is the reason why I'm always loathe to go against the tide!

• Like 1

Hi John, didn't get chance to talk to Griff about the prop.

Did talk to Stephen when i got back, and he agreed i need to change the prop, so next time i'm there we will pull the boat out to measure it and take it from there.

I wouldn't normally have run at those revs and would have been happy running slower to get to Oulton Broad exept for keeping up with you, even then i dont think we ran much faster than 5.7mph. I always have the GPS on and watch my speed.

We had a great weekend, it was nice meeting up with you again and every one else at the meet.

cheersbar Paul.GEDC0076.JPG

Here's one from me following you.

• Like 4

Yesterday morning my mate Jim and Jasper, our Whippet, went up the river to the Ferry House and back.

I was appalled by the wake and wash of several private boats. I later noticed that my dash-camera had been on and I have graphic evidence, but what to do? I'm not prepared to name and shame but I was really upset and even ashamed to be on a private boat with the likes of these prats about.

Where are the river patrols on a Sunday? A cruise betwixt say, Brundall and Bramerton, would harvest rich pickings...   :cry

• Like 3

I don't know about naming and shaming John, but protecting the area you love and the good people that use it is the first thing that comes to my mind. Perhaps you could show the evidence to a ranger and let him have a private word in the right ears.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Yes it would. I've seen a number of boats giving it takeoff thrust when walking at Strumpshaw.

That gets me very angry!!! No need for such bloody stupidity !!!! Grrrrrr! If the pillocks wish to bomb it, then kindly go and do it out in the North Sea !!!

cheersIain

• Like 1

Sadly with a river mooring we see these idiots every weekend,  the inability of private owners to slow down when passing moored craft is unforgivable. 

Hire boats,  especially stag boats,  will usually ease the throttle if I wave them down. 

I do feel private owners should have a greater understanding of the effects of wash.  

I have found that having the day boat moored along side deters those who would normally pass close enough to shake hands, However the idiots who ignore all other river users in the rush to get a spot at Bramerton take no notice of any requests to slow,  even when the day boat is bouncing around like a top. 

I reserve special hand signals and words  of encouragement for these ##@#@ although they are wasted because they never look behind. 

46 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I reserve special hand signals 

Ah Mark, that will be two + two finger sign know doubt !:naughty: Quite right too IMHO. We have very bad memories of Brammerton moorings. My late mum was nearlly badly scalded by the Brundall Navy bombing by on a Sunday morning !

Obviously 5mph does not equate to such vessels.:norty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

The effects of wash produced varies from craft to craft, small boats can and do produce a lot of wash.

The speed limit is well posted in most area's, what concerns me is that the 6 mph limit at Brundall Gardens ought to be 5 mph with those boats moored on the riverside, when I am training I mention to all new owners that they should slow down for these boats.  

After all the years we have been hiring on the canals I am well aware of being moored on the bank side and being thrown all over the place with boats passing at normal speed,

Regards

Alan

13 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The effects of wash produced varies from craft to craft, small boats can and do produce a lot of wash.

The speed limit is well posted in most area's, what concerns me is that the 6 mph limit at Brundall Gardens ought to be 5 mph with those boats moored on the riverside, when I am training I mention to all new owners that they should slow down for these boats.  

How do you distinguish between 5 or 6MPH if all you have got is a hire boat where someone from the boatyard has scribbled a line on the rev counter with a marker pen? What is much more effective is to tell hirers to keep looking behind, to see how much wash they are making as it is the wash that counts, not the "speed" per se .

Small boats do make a lot of wash which is why day launches always attract the most complaints. River boats have a "displacement" hull, which means it stays fully in the water and does not lift out onto the plane. Their speed increases with their waterline length or "wetted surface". A displacement hull has a "hull speed", related to its length, and beyond which it will not go, even if you fit a larger engine. So a little day launch at 5MPH is actually trying to go beyond its hull speed and is ploughing along with its bow in the air.

A classic Broads design such as Broad Ambition can glide along at 5MPH without disturbing the water but a day launch, trying to keep up, will be making a rooster tail of wash. Offshore boats have semi-displacement hulls and will make a lot of wash at slow speeds.

So a speed limit can only be arbitrary, for the "average" river boat, but by no means all. Holidaymakers must be shown that it is the actual wash, that counts.

And of course no matter what the speed limit, even if there isn't one, you must always slow down for moored boats and fishermen.

And then there is "squat effect" but that is a bit more complex!

• Like 6

Some years ago, during the trial run, yes speed was mentioned but more emphasis was placed on the amount of wash produced. To my mind the relation between revs and speed, so often stated on the boat, was in many instances irrelevant. One just had to look behind to see the havoc some boats cause.

For example at Reedham on Sunday afternoon the tide was flowing downstream very quickly indeed, I guess a good four miles an hour. Boats going upstream were creating a large amount of wash, simply to make ground against the tide. Conversely a craft going downstream was exceeding the speed limit, and was told to slow down, thus compromising his ability to steer the boat.

To add to the mix, at Reedham many of the large craft from Brundall like to turn and manoeuvre for several minutes within the area, close to the bridge, which has been designated a no turning area. Presumably to avoid such a vessel loosing control and hitting the bridge whilst waiting for it to open.

There are however many craft able to get through the closed bridge, to be confronted by large craft milling about using twin engines and bow thrusters to maintain their station.

Not a good scenario for craft trying to avoid these boats, when the smaller craft is in danger of having little or no steerageway in order to conform to the speed limit.

So much to learn, in such a short period of time, for some. No wonder so many pitch up on a mud flat on Breydon. 

Perhaps some look upon it as a bit of respite from the arduous experiences of stern mooring, various bridges and the like.

But during the cold winter nights to follow, sitting by the fire, it will all pale into insignificance, when you consider the wonderful time had by all.

Old Wussername 

• Like 4