Friday Girl's August Wanderings

Hockham Admiral

Personally I believe every boat should be fitted with GPS certainly now the prices have come down (£60 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/142047015541?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-142413568866&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006565&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0) . That would remove all arguments and give the Rangers a hand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Personally I believe every boat should be fitted with GPS

But that is my point, and Wussername's. Your speed over the ground by GPS bears pretty well no relation to the amount of wash, depending on the size of the boat and the river conditions. That includes the size of the waterway. You make a lot more wash going up Rockland dyke than you do on the Yare. That is why I mentioned squat effect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

But that is my point, and Wussername's. Your speed over the ground by GPS bears pretty well no relation to the amount of wash, depending on the size of the boat and the river conditions. That includes the size of the waterway. You make a lot more wash going up Rockland dyke than you do on the Yare. That is why I mentioned squat effect.

That's very true, Vaughan, but the BA insist on SOG as the yardstick and that's all most peeps can cope with. If they stuck to the 3 mph limit up Rockland dykes then there would be no significant wash.

• Like 1

Just a short reminder of the weekend's wanderings. To Rocklands Staithe and the stuck-in-the-mud departure yesterday morning!

Forecast low water was 10.03 and we were hard and fast at 08.45. With Alex and I pushing off we managed to inch her forward about a foot, when she was just floating.

Alex and Lorna then moved Braveheart into the middle of the Staithe and I started the engine and immediately engaged forwards gear. I had no idea if my water filter was blocked or not......................

• Like 6

Thank you very much for that John I found it most interesting. I don't think I have been on Rockland (sadly) for 40 years. It really doesn't look any different, except they have done the staithe up.

I was amazed you can still navigate - just - on such a low tide. Not recommended in the old days! It seems strange to me that places like this have been kept open and well maintained, even though one would have thought they would have closed years ago, while others have just been allowed to silt up. I don't see the logic sometimes, but I am very glad Rockland is still open. A beautiful place.

• Like 3

On 02/08/2016 at 11:00 AM, JawsOrca said:

Personally I believe every boat should be fitted with GPS certainly now the prices have come down (£60 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/142047015541?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-142413568866&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006565&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0) . That would remove all arguments and give the Rangers a hand.

Some do love their toys - but nothing beats the old fashioned Mk 1 eyeball. Have a glance behind, and if you can see you're kicking up a wash - regardless of what the 'Ap' or the 'toy' says - slow down please!

Unlike speed limits on the road, it's not about safety - it's about the impact on the waterside environment, as well as moored boats. The reeds are a home for lots of wildlife, please think about that.

• Like 1