It's Nipper's Tlc Time

I had Nipper lifted today for a bit of tlc.  Not too much on the list but work will include, revarnish the top and hull replace a plank underneath and clean the bilges and repaint them.

once lifted we noticed the rudder has suffered from erosion, this seems to have happened since we have been in the wet shed. Once the damage has been cut out and a new bit welded in I will fit an anode. We also noticed some movement in the cutlass bearing so will need further investigation.

work starts in earnest tomorrow .

Doug.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Worth considering  -  Take the lot off, then take to Markwell engineering in Hoveton he will make you a new s/steel unit including a s/teel shaft/pin copied from the original, which give you the opportunity to increase the rake on the upper trailing edge.  Fit two new bronze washers/bushes on the toe plate at the same time.  This will give you more purchase on the water, a lighter feel on the helm as the replacement is far less weight, virtually maintenance free (No painting etc)  We did this to 'B.A' last year and are enjoying the benefits - Recommended

Griff

Well, after sounding out the bottom I have now discovered I have 5 planks to replace as well as a small repair to the chine rail.

The replacement planks will be done in iroko and will have the 5 star treatment before 2 coats of underwater primer.

The rudder is beyond repair so I have ordered a replacement in Stainless Steel and should be ready next week.

Doug.

image.jpeg

• Like 9

It's been a busy week, lots of sanding and I think I'm just about ready for varnish. Was hoping to get a coat of fifty fifty On today but ran out of time. It took two whole days  just to scrape and sand back the rubbing strakes and toe rails.

The bottom is now all repaired and has been caulked and sikaflexed just waiting for a rubdown and two coats of primer.

Doug.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Been keeping busy, lots of progress, the bilges where a particular nightmare as they had not been cleaned in years.  I removed the drip tray from the engine bed to find approx 2 inches of slime, mud, oil and diesel. This took quite some cleaning but the bilges have now had 2 coats of Danboline.

The engine has also been cleaned up and had a coat of black enamel and is looking much smarter.

The hull has had its first coat of varnish which was a pain to apply as it was about 24 degrees today and it was drying too quick. Tomorrow I will give the cabin sides the first of 2 coats.

The cutless bearing was loose and on further inspection it was found to only have one screw attaching it. It has been resealed and 2 new screws fitted. The new rudder is ready but I cannot collect it till next week.

Doug.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Blimey, engine out, repainted, cutlass bearing fixed, bilges cleaned, new rudder, new planks, rub down, new varnish. I'm glad it's just a "bit of tlc"! I shuoud hate to think what is involved in serious renovation.

Lovely job you are making of it, btw. 

• Like 2

Well Nipper's transformation is almost complete. She should be back in the water tomorrow and just the engine to refit then back home to her lovely wet shed .

Last but one pic is for you Griff. Last pic is the new anode bonded to the shore power so should prevent any future problems.

Doug.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Water line now red under the boot top?

Keel cooler is missing (yes I know its on the other side really)?

The big hole has been filled with planks  lol?

Rudder blade profile changed?

She looks brilliant Doug. So looking forward to seeing her