Calorifiers

OK, I now need to fit a Colorifier, for my hot water, but, what size do I go for ? Remembering of course I sail on my own, and therefore only need some water to wash in, shower, make a cuppa, and wash up, the sizing is a bit up in the air. Your thoughts on the subject would be greatfully received.

Baz

Baz! I'd measure up and fit the biggest one I could, I had a 50 ltr one on my old Seamaster and even that was never enough, just remember to take into account that you will be running both hot and cold water from one tank, I ended up having a new 50 gallon stainless water tank made, that would last us a couple of days at a push, so I'd go for biggest after all once it's fitted it cost nothing to heat it if your running about,,,,

Hiya Frank, that's true I suppose. It seems like I'll be doing a lot of measuring next time I go up there. One thing though, I thought only the hot water would come from the calorifier, and the cold from the normal water tank.

Baz

For reference, and I don't think your boat is much smaller than ours, our water tank is 55 gal and our calorifier about 6 gal. I have no idea what those numbers are in measurements which will actually mean something to me though!

I don't think we've ever actually run out of water so I can't really say how long it lasts, but we've regularly go out for long weekends, including the Easter break, without re-filling at all. We get enough hot water for at least 2 showers, though as there are only two of us we've never attempted to have a third so there may be enough for more. There's certainly plenty for washing up and stuff afterwards. I wouldn't use it to make tea though - that's a kettle job!

Hiya Frank, that's true I suppose. It seems like I'll be doing a lot of measuring next time I go up there. One thing though, I thought only the hot water would come from the calorifier, and the cold from the normal water tank.

Baz

You are correct, but the cold water tank "feeds" the hot water tank therefore you only have a maximum of Cold tank + hot tank to begin and therefore your cold is depleted by using the hot as it tops the hot tank up. You don't really need to big a hot water tank as you can always run your engine to make more :norty::norty::oops: