Save Our Broads (bins)

BryanW

Having just returned from a week in the North I thought I would give an update on the rubbish bin and phone signal situation.

Rubbish Bins:

Ranworth - Good, some few large bins plus a Solar Power Rubbish Compactor actually on the Staithe that was absolutely overflowing, somebody having tried to stuff a large bag of rubbish in it that was too large for the slot.

Gayes Staithe - Just a small domestic metal bin with a multitude of rubbish bags piled around it.

Womack Staithe - As has always been, but I was told by the 'money collector' that this is going to be reviewed at the end of the year.

Sutton Staithe - Good, as was but only one bin now.

Neatishead Staithe - As was.

Phone Signal (Vodafone)

Ranworth - 4G

Gayes Staithe - 3G/Edge (varied), seemed better on the stern on side.

Womack Staithe - 3G/GPRS (varied)

Sutton Staithe - 4G, this was towards the end near the Broad.

Neatishead Staithe - 3G/Edge/GPRS (varied)

Salhouse Broad (mud weight) - 3G

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Hi Alan

I thought they were erecting a mast in the Horning area? Lets hope so!

cheersIain

Maybe it needs to be a blooming high one to make reception better on all of the Broads. The worst place is Loddon, there is a spot less than a couple of feet square near the bridge under the trees that if  that if you stretch your arm up whilst standing on one leg, that you can get one bar of reception:naughty:

Regards

Alan

3 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Maybe it needs to be a blooming high one to make reception better on all of the Broads. The worst place is Loddon, there is a spot less than a couple of feet square near the bridge under the trees that if  that if you stretch your arm up whilst standing on one leg, that you can get one bar of reception:naughty:

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

If you walk up the road from old Aston Yard, you should pick up a signal at the gate exit.

cheersIain

Just now, BryanW said:

Hi Alan

We didn't stop in Horning (as usual, no space) and forgot to check the signal on the way through.

Hi Bryan, 

Might have been fortunate, we have managed a few moorings on the green, which is great during the day, nice spot plenty to see, watching the world go by enjoying a glass on the back of the boat.

It is not a good place to moor overnight however, we only managed that once and were kept awake by the constant breaking of the waves hitting the boat because of being near to the bend in the river, needless to say we live and learn.

Regards

Alan

I think the third one is on the Village Hall in Horning?  I also believe they are Vodaphone masts and EE which I have is still poor. You can just about send texts in certain parts of the house but not conduct a phone conversation!

I can't comment on the bin situation, but as to the phone signal:

The signal improvements in Horning appear to not have made any improvements for EE customers - two people with different phones no service in Horning.

However, myself and another person using O2 got 4G which is incredible and very much welcome. I cannot comment on Vodafone users, but Three was performing well with my dongle too.

Wroxham on O2 remains terrible as far as data connectivity goes, providing only GPRS coverage.

Down to the south and to Loddon - no phone reception on O2, but I was getting good signal on my dongle with Three, so routed all my O2 calls via VOIP using the free O2 App 'TU' which means if someone calls or texts you, it comes through to the App seamlessly.   I also made some calls over WhatsApp without problem showing just how handy having MiFi units on boats is to create a WiFi hotspot.

Throughout my travels I found once again that Three outperformed all other networks so far as data connectivity. A great example was outside the Ferry House at Surlingham.  My EE MiFi unit was showing ‘2G’ speeds (GPRS) which is next to useless.  My O2 phone was giving me a single bar of 3G speed – slow but just about bearable to load some Apps with.  My Three MiFi was giving HSDPA speeds (less than 4G but better than 3G and about 4Mpbs download speeds) so I was able use this to Facetime Shilea back in London which was nice.

I would say honestly that onboard connectivity is now more important than how good the TV reception is, or if a boat has a Microwave etc because in my case it allowed me to stay in touch with people back home both via voice and with video not to mention keep up to date with Facebook groups and post updates there and find out what was going on in the world through my new Apps and know what the weather was doing through Weather Apps.

• Like 3

I moor in Horning and use Three. I have found there to be a very slight improvement in wifi reception this year. Mrs O uses Vodafone and she has few problems with reception.

When we were up just over a week ago, the bins in the Swan car park were still there, but idiocy seems to be in the ascendancy at the moment and I am not holding my breath.

cheers

Steve

To quote from the article.....

Angie Fitch-Tillet, cabinet member for environmental services, said: “Boat waste is an important issue and we are working with local organisations and the Broads Authority to ensure new procedures are understood.

“The district council had been collecting boat waste for a number of years, despite it being beyond our statutory responsibility.”

That last statement surely is untrue, It wasn't "beyond their statutory responsibility" until the classification changed from 'domestic' to 'commercial'. It is that reclassification that needs to be reversed

• Like 1

classification changed from 'domestic' to 'commercial'.

That statement is the crux of the matter and I for one think it is illegal / unlawful (Call it what you will)  that they have done that.  Does this mean local councils have such sweeping powers that they can change laws will nilly to suit themselves without recourse from central government?  SP brought up a very good point a while ago now  -  It is not allowed to put commercial waste into household domestic wheelybins, we all know that.  The councils are advising private boat owners to take their rubbish home with them. So seeing as the councils have re classified private boat domestic waste as commercial, that means they are advising us to put commercial waste into a household domestic wheelybin - its ludicrous.  As if by magic during transportation from boat to home, somehow the 'commercial boat waste' re-classifies itself back into 'domestic waste'!  will someone from a council department explain that one to me?

Griff

• Like 5

Griff, Only boat waste from hire boats is classified as commercial. Boat waste from private boats is still domestic waste. The real issue here is that the local councils should still be providing facilities for the disposal of that domestic waste. How they control commercial waste being dumped in those facilities is down to them, but it shouldn't be controlled by removing the facilities full stop.

• Like 7