Save Our Broads (bins)

BryanW

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry Martin, I don't agree. If you look at Cockshoot broad for example, where the boats don't go, whilst you might glimps the  rare migratory Rosy Breasted Notscratcher, but, of the standard ducks coots etc, you will see few. They all live where the boats go and the visitors with their crusty loaves of bread live. 

• Like 4

No shortage where I have been looking!! Although to be fair i have seen more marsh harriers than coots over the last week on the S Rivers.

And literally dozens of shelduck on Breydon with many many tiny ones.

I think you have to expect that as the climate changes you will always see less of perhaps one breed and more of another - this year for example, I have seen absolutely loads of reed buntings and the Broads are covered in Great Crested Grebes, yet 50 years ago they were a rarity.

Actually i know its off topic!!!!

Well I look and I see them so disagree away. No worries. 

maybe  we will see a huge increase in pike that have been eating the geese and ducks chicks. Or the huge increase in marsh harriers as apex predators have had to eat something ? 

They whatever the they is, don’t just disappear they die or don’t die or fly away, If they die something killed them if they get old they are still here. 

Lets not look to simple media sound bites to provide an answer when simple population dynamics explains everything. 

There is no such thing outside of managed grouse moors as an example where the population stays static it’s dynamic, always has been and always will be. 

Heard some national trust Twonk talking about ocean temperature rise being responsible for a decrease in puffin populations. Only problem is the temp of the North Atlantic hasn’t changed . Oops  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Lets not look to simple media sound bites to provide an answer when simple population dynamics explains everything. 

Well not for me doesn't. From my window I look upon fields of wheat and barley. Oak trees provide a Capability Brown landscape. When I first came here some thirty years ago I enjoyed the sound of the sky lark every morning when I took the dogs down the lane. I enjoyed the barn owl screeching at night and hunting along the hedgerows in the morning in order to sustain its young. Grey Wagtails, Yellow Hammers, Tawny Owls.

Swallows and House Martin's would swoop across the fields of corn.

Today..............nothing.

Well I say nothing. That is not strictly true.

Trundling across the fields today tractors with large booms were spraying a mist. Insecticides, weed killer.

Who knows.

However what I do know is that I now live in an agricultural desert. Devoid of wild life.

I am not sure what is meant by population dynamics, or indeed global warming. 

I do however suspect that the farmers tractor has a significant part in what I consider to be responsible for this dramatic change in our country side. And for that we all share a responsibility.

Andrew

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

I do however suspect that the farmers tractor has a significant part in what I consider to be responsible for this dramatic change in our country side. And for that we all share a responsibility.

Andrew

so true, but it,s at the smaller level in the eco system you need to worry about, ie bugs, has a knock on effect, when did your windscreen get covered in bugs on a night run lately, i cover 45 thou a year...hardly any bugs on the motor, bugs feed birds, birds feed anything that can catchem ect, ect, the land is going the same way as the sea,s ,the north sea is dead through overfishing and polution, answer you cry?

cul the human race! ie stop any more breeding china has to , what,s wrong with one child instead of two?.....the answer is the world runs on money which requires growth.....you need more workers for more growth......then death, for all, sorry the next generations are doooooooooooooooooommed!!

9 hours ago, Malanka said:

There is no such thing outside of managed grouse moors as an example where the population stays static it’s dynamic, always has been and always will be. 

I can assure you that the population of grouse moors go up and down like a yoyo. The Red Grouse is a wild bird. It is given a helping hand by heather burning to promote young shoot growth in the breeding season and keep parasites down like fluke but a cold wet spring can virtually wipe out a breeding season. One moor that I know well that is along and at the top of Arkengarthdale has lost three shooting seasons since 2004 and others have seen their number shooting days seriously curtailed.

The above is the main reason why Grouse Shooting is the top end of game shooting. Pheasant and Partridge being much more affordable due to being reared and released.

On the 1st May this year I was on Hathor from Wroxham to Ranworth. The river was very quiet and we saw virtually no Mallard, Moorhen or Coot. We did see however four apex predators in the form of Otters.

The Marsh Harrier has also become very largely non migratory and the roost at Hickling now has huge numbers of birds, young waterfowl are very much on his menu.

Ten years ago, if you sailed from Stalham to Ant Mouth, you would be chased by Mallard chicks looking for food all the way down river, when did you last see that? The Mallard is not exactly a retiring bird, it will nest if full view of humans so the argument of they are in the water where there are no boats does not hold water where Mallard are concerned.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, diesel falcon said:

so true, but it,s at the smaller level in the eco system you need to worry about, ie bugs, has a knock on effect, when did your windscreen get covered in bugs on a night run lately, i cover 45 thou a year...hardly any bugs on the motor, bugs feed birds, birds feed anything that can catchem ect, ect, the land is going the same way as the sea,s ,the north sea is dead through overfishing and polution, answer you cry?

cul the human race! ie stop any more breeding china has to , what,s wrong with one child instead of two?.....the answer is the world runs on money which requires growth.....you need more workers for more growth......then death, for all, sorry the next generations are doooooooooooooooooommed!!

what the what the flip :default_eusa_naughty:

had a drink Denzil

On 04/09/2016 at 15:24, TeamElla said:

Potter Heigham now has black "wheelie bin" type rubbish bins on the Phoenix Fleet side of the bridge, marked for the disposal of rubbish with the addition of a threat of up to a £2500 fine if that rubbish comes from a boat....

Is there  CCTV looking at these bins?     If not what is to stop anyone creeping up there late at night and chucking their rubbish in there from the boat?      Make sure you dont leave any names and addresses on anything.    They make these foolish rules they must expect them to be ignored.       What are the bins for , exclusive us for the fish shop?       

• 8 months later...

Phone reception is bliss on the North Broads.My wife and I are moored at Horning and are on the EE network. 

Very poor reception, usually nothing at all and similar throughout the region. Ban any more transmitter aerials, we go on board our boat to get away from it all. 

Don't call us. We'll call you !!! 

Ha Ha

Paul and Sharon 'Bon Bon'

• Like 3

Makes you wonder how we ever survived a holiday on the Norfolk Broads in the sixties/seventies. No mobile phone, no laptop, no TV or DVD player, you actually had to talk amongst yourselves for entertainment (when the pub closed), can you imagine it!... I'd have to say though, we enjoyed our holidays then, at least as much as now (we were a lot younger though and we found other 'stuff' to occupy ourselves :default_icon_kiss:).

We did have rubbish bins though, lots of them... :default_biggrin:

Back in the 1970s I had an interest in the Waveney River Centre and indeed I managed the site. We provided moorings and very often we'd have in excess of fifty visiting boats for the night . We'd have one or more of those large, oblong industrial sized skips per week! Rubbish disposal was an expensive issue for us.

I'd better make room for a cage full of carrier pigeons on the roof of the boat if we are not to be allowed mobile phones.  Frankly if you don't want to bring your phone onto the broads, then don't but don't try to ram your "virtue" down my throat.  I bet the locals are really cheered as the struggle with connectivity, to read tosh like some of this.  

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I'd better make room for a cage full of carrier pigeons on the roof of the boat if we are not to be allowed mobile phones.  Frankly if you don't want to bring your phone onto the broads, then don't but don't try to ram your "virtue" down my throat.  I bet the locals are really cheered as the struggle with connectivity, to read tosh like some of this.  

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you shouldn't be allowed a mobile phone, or are 'ramming their virtue' down anyones throat. Some people may have to work with phones/computers, every day of their working lives and just want to get away from all of that, for a week or two. If you need those things on board, to be happy and relaxed, that's fine too...

• oldgregg unpinned and unfeatured this topic