Begineers Help

Sorry Gareth I missed you post for some reason :facepalm:That's a nice 'tin lid' you caught there!

You asked about the colour of maggots mattering? Simple answer yes. When we are fishing we are effectively trying to mimic the natural bait that the fish would be feeding on. So get the kids involved in looking at the hedgerows, the bankside etc to see what the fish might me eating at the minute.

Of course there is so much bait thrown into some fisheries that the fish are not feeding on the 'natural' so much but colour still matters. Predatory fish like your pike and perch and eels like the colour red. If you are fishing and catching silver fish, bream, roach, chub, dace etc and you suddenly stop catching...chances are there are some quite large perch about. Stick on a bunch of red maggots and you will catch that perch...they are greedy.

Bream are the...how best to put this? Can you remember how you used to see a limousine drive by and you would wonder if a movie star was in it...and these days you see a limousine and you think 'ratted hen party' ? Well bream are like the ladies in the limo...more than up for a cocktail or three. So for bream mix your bait, different colours, add some corn with a maggot or a worm and a maggot...keep swapping the combination to see what they are biting on that day.

When ground baiting fish a little bit away from where you put the groundbait in. The little fish all dive on the ground bait...the bigger ones cruise just on the edge of the frenzy. Toss in some larger bait like corn, maggot...chopped worm if you are up for it ( I'm not ) or just worms to keep the bigger fish there. Keep feeding little and often.

If you see one of those anglers that start mixing groundbait in huge tubs with a cordless drill...pack up and mpve away as the will kill the fishing for several days. Hope this helps?

7 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Sorry Gareth I missed you post for some reason :facepalm:That's a nice 'tin lid' you caught there!

You asked about the colour of maggots mattering? Simple answer yes. When we are fishing we are effectively trying to mimic the natural bait that the fish would be feeding on. So get the kids involved in looking at the hedgerows, the bankside etc to see what the fish might me eating at the minute.

Of course there is so much bait thrown into some fisheries that the fish are not feeding on the 'natural' so much but colour still matters. Predatory fish like your pike and perch and eels like the colour red. If you are fishing and catching silver fish, bream, roach, chub, dace etc and you suddenly stop catching...chances are there are some quite large perch about. Stick on a bunch of red maggots and you will catch that perch...they are greedy.

Bream are the...how best to put this? Can you remember how you used to see a limousine drive by and you would wonder if a movie star was in it...and these days you see a limousine and you think 'ratted hen party' ? Well bream are like the ladies in the limo...more than up for a cocktail or three. So for bream mix your bait, different colours, add some corn with a maggot or a worm and a maggot...keep swapping the combination to see what they are biting on that day.

When ground baiting fish a little bit away from where you put the groundbait in. The little fish all dive on the ground bait...the bigger ones cruise just on the edge of the frenzy. Toss in some larger bait like corn, maggot...chopped worm if you are up for it ( I'm not ) or just worms to keep the bigger fish there. Keep feeding little and often.

If you see one of those anglers that start mixing groundbait in huge tubs with a cordless drill...pack up and mpve away as the will kill the fishing for several days. Hope this helps?

Youve probably put him off fishing for life mixing the hen parties Tim hell be out chasing after skirt rather than bream....

• Like 1

Video is very good. 

We have been experimenting with different maggot colours. The youngest has a touch of luck and almost every time she dips the rod in she catches something. Bless her then proceedes to tell us all how to fish and what colour maggots we should all be using. 

It's suprising how quickly the time goes when you are fishing. We have had some really good days as a family. 

With the mrs with me there is no chance of chasing the skirt. 

• Like 4

I honestly don't think there's a much better way of creating family memories than sitting on a boat fishing with the kids, chatting and telling silly jokes. We also have little competitions to see who can catch the most fish, I tend to lose count of my score so that the boys win.

Maybe not so much a touch of luck, your little girl could be a world champion fisherwoman when she grows up, I reckon, well done her

Grace 

• Like 5

Not catching? I'm not either! I fished for two hours at the top of the tide yesterday, some bubbles from rummaging fish but I didn't manage to convert that to fish on the bank. Out at dawn this morning, breezy, drizzle and grey sky, abandoning a comfortable, warm wife, off to the river bank, full of hope, grrrr, two blanks on the trot, unheard of!

Time to abandon my 'pin and float, desert the margins and head off to the rivers I reckon. Earlier than I would have expected but the holly in my garden is already heavy with berries, perhaps winter is going to be a cold one! Have just bought myself a Maver Excel feeder rod, what an animal, actually quite looking forward to deserting the Broad and playing with my new toy!

• Like 2