Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

As some might remember a while back I drew up some plans of Broad Ambition in CAD.

The intention was always to build a model.

When invited onboard Broad Ambition for the trip to sea with the Navy boys and MTB102, I took the opportunity to get photos  of the small details, as well as taking measurements to help make the model - lots of measurements and detail photos.

Well to progress, a workspace has been cleared and protected with a large sheet of 3/4" ply I had to hand, a couple of boot fair finds have given me some practice materiel (two unfinished hulls to play around with / use as test beds), and this morning a trip to the scrap bin at the local timber merchant yielded some good pieces of 3/4"ply to be used as a building board (the board that supports the structure as it is built). just £7 for those bits as opposed to over £40 if I had had to buy a whole sheet - or £26 for a 4' x 2' sheet from B&Q)

I will post pictures as work progresses, and initial pictures later today.

I am not promising the progress will be quick, but will post here as and when things happen.

• Like 6

A little progress, frames / bulkheads are being marked out / cut out of paper, building board starting to be set up. keel / hog drawing set up ready to be marked out onto a piece of 1"x3" timber, though it will need a bit of shaping to make ti the right shape, this might be easier before it is cut out, now I either have to find my multiplane or my router for that bit, I will build the two hulls seperately in case minor adjustments are needed, then the second will be spot on.

I may have neglected to mention the fact that two models will be produced, one for me to play with, and one for the owners of Broad Ambition, with the constructions I am happiest with going into the owners model, though I will be working with the same care on both sets of parts.

IMG_3925 (Medium).JPG

IMG_3928 (Medium).JPG

IMG_3929 (Medium).JPG

• Like 3

no- that is the drone I picked up at the boot fair, just needed 1 new motor and a new battery, changes in design of the same model meant I had to take out a motor from a good new rotor pod, and solder it into place with the plug wiring reversed, it now flies quite well (or will when I have learned to control it.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

well knock me sideways with a feather - they do sell small bottles, sadly unfilled, for dolls houses - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-6-DOLLS-HOUSE-miniature-Wine-Whisky-SPIRITS-BEER-drinking-BOTTLES-1-12TH-/281865934497?hash=item41a084d6a1:g:AuIAAOSwHQ9WXRCA

Come on grendel, you didny expect a Scot not to know such things were available ! :naughty:

frame / bulkhead templates all cut out ready to be marked onto the timber, supports to mount them to the building board cut out, not a lot done today as I had a lot of other jobs to do. my helpers are keeping an eye on things and stopping the paper templates blowing away.

I  had to replace my old table saw blade as it was A blunt, and B too coarse (as seen on the supports with the burn marks). powered fretsaw has been dug out to cut out frames.

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

• Like 5

I am hoping to progress this bit by bit - week by week, as long as something is done. the only problem will be two weekends time when Ii am helping out at a works social event at Grendon lakes camping Friday and Saturday nights.   but nevermind I can do some work evenings. I am hoping to be able to cut my own planks for this model, this wastes some wood as I lose a saw thickness on each plank, but cannot be any worse than the manufacturers doing it. Just one question Griff, how wide are BA's planks, I need to construct a bending jig from meccano and a steam box for both ribs and planks.

• Like 3

Much to my embarrassment I can't remember off the top of my napper, I'm guessing no less than four inch, no more than 6 inch.  I'm onboard on the 18th so can give them a measure then and txt thee.

grendel - Don't go knocking yersen out on this, there is no rush, I mean it took us 5 and half years to get her back in the wet stuff and we had to something to work with, all you have is plans / photo's measurements and an idea,  (plus a bucket load of skill / determination)

Griff

• Like 6

tonights effort was marking frames onto the plywood, roughly cutting out with the jigsaw, then one frame cut out on the powered fretsaw, 9pm stop due to the noise from the fretsaw, so just one frame so far, still to cut out the doorway.

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

• Like 3

Just squeezed in about an hour tonight, including a hunt for the fretsaw blades, 3 broken, but all of the frames cut out, still to cut out the inner openings. more small tools dug out, the small plane is perfect for cleaning up the frames.

plenty of small offcuts, these will be saved for making small detail parts.

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

• Like 5