Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Grendel if you need some hardwoods...oak, walnut,black walnut meranti, iroko, beech, maple and mahogany I have a shed full of of off cuts that I dip into for box making. I save any sliver of hardwood no matter how small...just in case. Give me a yell and I'm sure we can get some to you. They are in thicknesses from 5mm upwards and lengths and widths anything from a couple of cm's to feet and inches.

DSC_0275.JPG

You can tell wooden boaters from the amount of timber around the house. My hallway is my timber store...the only place I have large enough and dry enough to store everything.

• Like 1

many thanks for the offer Tim, my wood store is in my attic. I will have a look round my stock, as I am sure I have a perfect piece of oak for this, I  used to get some nice pieces as offcuts from a sawmill when buying firewood by the bundle, some were 12" planks 1" thick, just the offcuts from the ends of a longer plank, but they made excellent Hnefatafl boards. I still have some of that oak, plus I have an oak drawer front from a plan chest somewhere.

If I do find myself short I will get in touch.

Well this morning shopping trip included a chance buy at lidls, you may remember my buying a new blade for my table saw - well this morning lidls had table saws at £99 - I didnt get one as I already have one, but this meant they had blades at £3.99, and fine tooth ones in the right size for my saw, so some spares were purchased, then next door to B&Q for the parts to make my steam bending kit.

ok steam bender, I made 2 from the bits I got. caps fo the ends of the 1 1/2" tube reducers for the end the steam plugs into, the flexible pipe put onto the steamer and fed into the tube, I might need a vent at the far (loading) end as it gets hotter at the start end, but it did bend this section.

IMG_7416.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7417.JPG

IMG_7414.JPG

IMG_7418.JPG

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG

IMG_7420.JPG

• Like 5

well this mornings visit to the boot fair, saw me coming away with 2 coping saw frames, a quick trip to B&Q furnished some blades, so now I am ready to trim the keel /hog. meanwhile this afternoon has seen the table saw in action, stripping some 2.5mm x12mm, some 5mm x 5mm and some 5mm x 2.5mm strip, 1 cladding plank and 1 50x12 strip cut down so far.

jigsaws are known for producing an angled cut - just when you dont want them, the coping saw, worked, but oh so slowly, so, the jigsaw was used - carefully, after that the hogs were planed back to the lines, using the tiny plane shown (which works beautifully for such a small thing). helper once more in evidence. 

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

• Like 4

today was a busy one, apart from digging a shower out of the loft on the request of my daughter to get it up and running by October, I have been working off and on, on the model the stringers and other horizontals have been marked onto the frames, some tweaking of the positions has been necessary, and cutting out for the notches on the frames has begun. Once I am happy with them, they will be used as patterns for the second hull, before I did this I bent one last section to my former, I also cut some 10mm square, this will be bent up to form the transom, first I will cut a wood former to bend these round, as it will be a tough bend.IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3593.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

IMG_3588.JPG

• Like 4

one picture there shows the front end of the keel / hog, these are tapered to the front as that is the only way I can see it working, I did find a slightly bigger plane to shape these. some of the frames were not perfectly aligned, and one was leaning, so this has been trimmed. the process of marking out was that 2 frames were notched, then strips laid in the notches to mark out the positions of the intermediate notches, this ensures they will be straight between frames.

I am beginning to feel progress is being made, the knot hole on one of the hogs will be filled using a home made filler - sawdust with glue, and then filed / sanded to shape. that will go on the first hull, the second will be better as I learn from my mistakes.

• Like 1

That is looking the biz!

A quick question, I notice from the notches in the models aft most bulkhead that BA seems to have a chine, two stringers and then a separate beam shelf just above the upper stringer rather than utilising the upper stringer itself. Is she unique in this or was that a Powles trait? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

A quick question, I notice from the notches in the models aft most bulkhead that BA seems to have a chine, two stringers and then a separate beam shelf just above the upper stringer rather than utilising the upper stringer itself. Is she unique in this or was that a Powles trait? 

Could you keep to English, please? For those who don't speak Boatese.:twisted:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

That is looking the biz!

probably just how I have interpreted what I see from the pictures of her restoration, but definitely needed to hold the model together at this stage, there is no chine as the ribs bend around the curve of the hull, the lower stringer supports the ribs on the edge of the bend, as the two stringers on the bottom do the other end of the curve. both the stringers and the ribs will be slightly wider and thicker than scale, as there are limits to how small I can cut the timber on my table saw - before it just leaves a chewed up mess instead of a nice timber.

more notches tonight, still a few adjustments to be made. so I tried in some pieces, the hog and stringers, here you see also my clamps the square bulldog type clips, either with wood through to form the clamp, or using the handle part from another clip.

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

• Like 4