Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Well in the end I went for a custom made part, this will be painted white in the middle to represent the dial, the 7 smaller dials will be made the same way (but smaller) (ok I know, its not a chromed finish, but the aluminium I had wasnt machining well at this size, so an 8mm hole was drilled in the panel, and the gauge set into the wood.

IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG

• Like 4

after a whole days work off and on (bearing in mind my lathe, that the motor is only rated to work for 20 minutes out of each hour (then 40 minutes cool down) I have finally finished the gauges for one dashboard.

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

• Like 4

another 7 small gauges turned, this time the flange thicknesses are more consistent, any really thick ones from the other set can be swapped into this set and the thinnest ones here will be swapped into the first set.

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

• Like 1

Another option might be to drill holes in the wood dash board big enough for a short length of stainless tube, to scale, to be passed through & glued. The tube is then filled with clear resin to flush with the face of the 'gauge'.  Lights behind the dash panel gives the impression of illuminated gauges. 

• Like 1

Grendel, if you are going to the meet, I do recommend a visit to Always hobbies just outside of Beccles, looking around the shop is better than browsing the web.

Don't take any money or cards!

I don't know what glue you are using but if you are going to stain things but aliphatic glue takes the stain very well.

paul

• Like 1

I was planning to paint inside the brass gauges with white paint, a hint of dials then resin fill to the top.

Paul, at the moment I am either using ordinary gorilla glue, or their pva based glue. I try and avoid model and hobby shops and either make my own fittings or come up with my own way to make things. saves the cards and cash too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

so I have had a couple of days off

That's OK . . . make the time up later. Might let you work unpaid overtime. :)

Seriously, this is really good work, I can't imagine doing anything so precise and fiddly! You should be proud of your efforts, Gren.

• Like 2

the cabin roof is 1/32" plywood, I have made frames inside to support it, these will be fixed to the roof, but not the sides / bulkheads. now I had to glue these up in place to get them at the right angles etc, so I am hoping that they will not stick too badly in the corners.and I have not permanently fixed it to the model.

there is a fine line, between the glue set enough to hold it in place but soft enough to get the roof back off.

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

• Like 3