Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

yes Griff, I am a lot happier with this way of doing it, it was only after studying the close up details of the mast support and seeing how the bracket was slotted through the cover piece that I realised the main support could sit under the roof.

• Like 1

3D cad out now, I have drawn up a box to mount the radio receiver on the bulkhead, I have also designed a mount for the servos, once again to mount on a bulkhead. for the speed controller I will need a metal bracket to act as a heat sink.

• Like 1

mainly because my printer can only print a 8" cube.

anyway here is the result of last nights printing, once I had cut a slot for the cable (oops forgot that) the servo is a snug fit in its holder, still to check the fit of the radio gear, but I am confident it will fit perfectly.

IMG_7285.JPG

IMG_7286.JPG

IMG_7287.JPG

• Like 2

well the radio fits the box, it is now fixed in place, its high up in the boat as 2.4mhz does not penetrate water well, for this reason they use a different frequency for submarines.

next job is a permanent fixing for the rudder servo.

IMG_7288.JPG

IMG_7289.JPG

• Like 3

Well its been a busy afternoon, apart from picking up my daughter from work, and visiting my parents I have reinstalled all of the wiring - properly, added cables to the two battery positions, (rather than go with a pair of 6V batteries, I have opted for a 12v 7AH battery (its a more common size and the same price as the 6v 10Ah ones), once I have adjusted the trim I will replace the weight with a suitable 12v battery (probably slightly smaller) this will enable the batteries to be swapped, and the boat to continue to be used. more 3d printing, a box was made for the on off switch, and the battery trays are currently printing. I had to pop into Maplins to pick up some extra spade connectors for the battery, while there I spotted a mixed box of small screws and nuts, going down to 2mm, these were the right size for the mast, so that has been fitted to the rear roof, as have the handrails. the hatch printed out the other day has been fixed to the roof, I have ordered a molotow chrome marker pen, these are reputed the best way of adding a chrome effect to a part, this will be used to outline the hatch (well the chrome bit anyway).

All in all a lot of progress has been made today. I wanted to be in a place where the radio gear was permanently installed, and where some of the more visible detail was complete, and I am happy now. I do want to get the windscreen in place before the wooden boat show.

IMG_7290.JPG

IMG_7291.JPG

IMG_7292.JPG

IMG_7293.JPG

IMG_7294.JPG

IMG_7295.JPG

IMG_7296.JPG

IMG_7297.JPG

IMG_7298.JPG

IMG_7299.JPG

IMG_7300.JPG

• Like 2

the really good part is that although it takes a couple of hours to print this, it only cost about 75p, so when I decided it needed some slight modifications (taller sides and an upstand to prevent the battery moving) it was no great loss to scrap (ok place in the spare parts bin- it might be useful for another project where battery movement isnt an issue) and reprint the part with the new modifications. this tray has to sit above the prop shaft, so that had to still be accessible, it will be blocked up at the ends, and suitably sized supports will be inserted in the middle.

• Like 1

As I am taking my mother in law up to the hospital today, I have got some time to play, I thought that in case I did not get time to finish the screen I would try the original one I made that I wasnt happy with, just to see how it looks, not too bad, this is my backup to take up to Beccles, if I cant come up with anything better (though I am sure I can), this has just been fixed by drilling through and using 5 stainless steel pins, bent over at the back, I must say it does give a better appearance. in the cockpit I am thinking I need at least floors to hide the motor.

IMG_7302.JPG

IMG_7303.JPG

• Like 2

So while the window glue sets, onto CAD, we now have some non illuminating spotlights, one has been mounted on the forrard roof, its in its original position, as model #1 is being made as Broad Ambition was last year, model #2 will be made in the current configuration (if I can keep up) so will have the horn and spotlight reversed, and side decks in the dek king colours.

IMG_7305.JPG

IMG_7306.JPG

IMG_7307.JPG

IMG_7308.JPG

IMG_7309.JPG

IMG_7310.JPG

• Like 4

already planning something similar, I have a 4mm shaft up through from underneath, so will print one in translucent, a coat of black over the areas not lit up, with the white over that, and the 'lens' area should light up with a glow, for the Beccles show this one can stand as is, as I have not got to the point of lighting yet, I just wanted to give a better representation of the real thing.

• Like 2

It is quite humbling to see the sheer amount of work that goes into getting wooden boats back afloat and bringing them to Beccles and this thread is no exception. I am amazed at the effort going into this and cant wait to see her next month chap. Well done!

• Like 2