Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

So, the magic chrome markers were used to transform the solar panel frame to chrome, then the frame was positioned and the fixing holes drilled, a bigger hole was drilled through the roof.

The solar panel, which came as part of a solar battery bank, was cut from the battery section, this connection will later be replaced as the battery pack will eventually power the models lights.

To achieve this a connector was soldered to the solar panel, and the joins heat shrunk to prevent short circuits. this connector was then passed through the roof, the connector will enable the roof to be removed later, so - one working solar panel. size wise its a pretty close match to the real thing. when we come to model #2 we may  have a pair of solar panels in the roof, if they have tat done before I finish the model :-) 

The battery pack can also be charged from the usb, so I have it plugged in to make sure it is charged. (it also provides 2 usb ports for charging other items).

I have also swapped out the windscreen for the one I completed last night, it looks a lot better though will need to be trimmed to the side panels and roof line.

IMG_7332.JPG

IMG_7333.JPG

IMG_7334.JPG

IMG_7335.JPG

IMG_7336.JPG

IMG_7337.JPG

IMG_7338.JPG

• Like 2

Back into CAD, the life ring I bought nearly a year ago is slightly too big, so I drew one up and printed it, a couple of brackets have been made up, and it now has a position on the stern bulkhead, it will require painting, and rope adding.

IMG_7339.JPG

• Like 3

more progress has been made, apart from a massive tidy up of the area next to the build table I have added some extra supports in the floor area of the cockpit, and looking at the side walls too, as well as looking at the sliding windows, which at the moment are not transparent.

IMG_7340.JPG

IMG_7341.JPG

• Like 1

today after spending the morning over at my parents helping them move all the heavy furniture out to their garage, as they are due to have their current old conservatory replaced with a new one, so the old one had to be cleared out. anyway once I got home I started work on those windows, even though you still cannot see through them, the frames are coming along nicely. (here I reversed a trick I had told Timbo where a thin skin of real wood was added to the plywood to make the frame, here the thin piece is the plywood, this rides in the slot.

IMG_7343.JPG

IMG_7344.JPG

IMG_7345.JPG

• Like 5

so handles have been added to the windows, a cardboard pattern was made for the floor, then cut out slightly oversize, the smaller L shaped piece will have the seating built in, the gaps to the front will have the helm position and corresponding cupboard / shelf the other side, these will be built in place, and the gap in the middle will have the steps down, these floor sections have to be removable to allow access to the motor and wiring.

In the last picture you see my solution to lifting the sliding windows, there are cutouts in the side panels, the handles protrude just enough to get a purchase to lift them, next to cut out the openings.

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

IMG_7351.JPG

• Like 2

a few tweaks this afternoon (this morning being spent ferrying my mother in law to the Marsden for the results of her scan - Yay she has now gone to Annual visits, its been 5 years since her chemo - 8 since she was diagnosed and she is still clear.

So this afternoon I have been pottering, making and fitting the shelf opposite the helm. the windows have had small pads added at the bottom, this means they wont slide down under their own weight. shattered now as it was an early start to get there for 9 am, I had the alarm set for 5, so woke up at 4.30am, and it wasnt worth trying to get back to sleep.

apart from the helm position, I dont think I will add any seating etc to the cockpit floor yet, as I have a feeling it may be too low, if this is so (and I will measure at Beccles), the floor will be built up until it is right.

IMG_7359.JPG

• Like 3

So working slowly, doing one joint at a time, first the right angle joint is glued and clamped, the angled piece will be carefully positioned, then joints cut and glued but first an overnight for the glue to set properly.

IMG_7373.JPG

• Like 1

So to maximise my progress I checked my 'template' against the other side as well, as it was also a good fit there, I started the second quarter light, making sure I had handed the joints correctly. the thicker bottom rail will be cut, and the hinges inserted, the bottom part will then be glued onto the side in the right place. not much more I can do until that glue has dried.

IMG_7374.JPG

• Like 1

To make the solid panels at the back end of the side windows, that also fold out of the way, I needed a flat section a bit wider than I had available, so two pieces were glued up edge to edge, more glue to wait to dry.

IMG_7375.JPG

• Like 2

Question to both of you . How do you get away with having so many man toys? 

Drill , sander, jig saw and the drawbridges went up. They briefly dropped for a power washer but now nope what would you need that for. Don't they know is not needed YET!!! 

But maybe soon . Honest , pretty please . I'll wash up for a week !!!! 

M