Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

this evening the last of the bits needed arrived, unfortunately I have an evening of 3D printing ahead after a promise made to try and print something for someone, the rest of the weekend is booked up with work on the workshop, moving bits around and building a bench, I will see if I get a chance to squeeze it in. 

on another note I picked up a simple sound unit for my model second hand, this is not as complex as the one that I hope to fit to Charlies, that will rev with the throttle, this one just makes a diesel sound continuously, which is good enough for me, I also picked up 3 motors that should be perfect for the models, testing can now take place (once I have refitted the motor and sorted the prop shaft.

at the rear is the marine grease for the prop shaft, this will be injected into the shaft with a syringe.

IMG_7630.JPG

• Like 2

today, after a trip to the timber merchant for some plywood and some 2x2 planed timber, and  my normal saturday shopping etc, it was after lunchtime before I got started, furniture moved around to clear the space where the bench will go, then it was down to cutting the timber down so it would fit indoors, all the 2x2 was cut to length + about 25mm, and the plywood cut down to 2 ft wide

IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

IMG_7638.JPG

IMG_7639.JPG

IMG_7640.JPG

IMG_7641.JPG

mess has been made, my morticer has been working overtime making joints, 22 pieces of timber have had joints cut and the work bench has now been dry fitted together, a few joints will need cleaning up to make them fit, only one joint had to be sprung into place.

the top will consist of some oak tongue and groove flooring with a top layer of plywood, this will be a sacrificial surface, and can be replaced whenever it gets too damaged. the finished level will be 38" high - the same height as  the table saw is now. this is a good height for me to work standing, or perched on one of the stools I have. I will probably wait until next weekend to finish the bench, this means work on the boat will resume, as I now have all the parts I need to work on the next step quieting that noisy prop shaft.

IMG_7644.JPG

IMG_7645.JPG

• Like 1

I surfaced my bench with some old laminated flooring that had been used in the kitchen. It gives a flat, durable and easily cleaned surface that has been continually and sometimes brutally assaulted over the last 5 years and shows little sign of damage. Paint and glue spillages are easily removed when set by scraping with a Stanley knife blade and any damaged sections are easily replaced using the rest of the old floor, which is currently serving as loft boarding.

Well I do have a couple of packs of laminate flooring I picked up somewhere, so maybe I should use the plywood for something else and use that up, I will still start off with the oak flooring as that will make a good strong bench surface to go under the sacrificial one, in my shed at my parents house I had a galvanised steel surface over the bench, but my activities there were primarily sword making so a steel surface stopped me setting light to the bench with the grinder. (the walls built up a 1/4" thick surface of molten metal / grinding dust over time, so they were safe. I made a leather apron after the first time I set my overalls on fire.

Right, this evenings efforts have born fruit, while testing motors with the new coupling I noticed an interesting fact, the end of the shaft extends out of the stern tube by maybe 60-70mm, at the speed of the motor at full chat, even the silicon tube doesnt stop the end of the shaft whipping around, its getting maybe 5mm off line once it gets to speed. I am thinking the end needs to be restrained, so some 4mm id bearings have now been ordered, so the waiting begins again for parts, once they arrive I will make a pillow block to support the end of the shaft in the hope that by constraining it I can lose the vibration. I will now get on with inserting some grease into the shaft.

• Like 1

greasing the shaft is a messy business, about 2cc of grease was injected into the shaft, then everything put back, and tested on 6v - good result very quiet, on to 12 volts - full chat and the vibration is a lot less, maybe 0.5mm vibration, still I think the pillow block and bearing will make that better. I think I need to make up a plate for the motor and bearing block. I will insert a plate into the hull at the prop shaft angle, then it will be a case of making up the mounting plate and pillow block.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grendel said:

Famous maybe, but I will never be that good looking, as for the symbolism, well as a draughtsman, I can use a pair of dividers, and a square, but as for the rest.....

Good looking????? you mean was good looking, he now looks like a cross between Worzel Gummage and Selwyn Froggit.

No mans looks have ever been improved by growing a beard, ever, this is not up for discussion. Plenty of young men now will look at photos of themselves in 20 years time and think " Oh my god what was I doing with that beard, it looks stupid"......yes it did, and it does, so shave it off...now. I feel better now.

Anyway, back to draughtsman, I just missed out on the drawing on boards stage, didn't you have to draw on tracing paper and get it printed off on blue sheets? something like that?

No, we were up to ink on drawing film when I started, but one of the offices I worked at still had a very old ammonia printer that could only be started twice a day at most because of the mercury vapour lamp, one of the older members remembered wgen prints were done by putting the drawing in a frame and taking it out in the sunshine, then developing in a tube containing ammonia.

nothing better than changin g the ammonia bottle on the printer for clearing up a head cold.

1 hour ago, Wyndham said:

No mans looks have ever been improved by growing a beard, ever, this is not up for discussion. Plenty of young men now will look at photos of themselves in 20 years time and think " Oh my god what was I doing with that beard, it looks stupid"......yes it did, and it does, so shave it off...now. I feel better now.

I will say no more than Man Bun :default_eusa_naughty:

• Like 1

tonight I packed more grease, I think its full now. the shaft is running much smoother, but I will still add a pillow block near the coupling. I have worked out that I need the piece of wood and the thickness of that piece of brass (which will support the pillow block).

IMG_7646.JPG

• Like 2

this evening I came home to an empty packet - well it looked empty, felt empty apart from a sheet of paper - yes it was a pair of miniature ball bearings, I will keep these ones for another use, I have some more arriving - a bit bigger that will be easier to work with. the big problem is that to make the support I need the tools in the workshop - catch 22, I need to finish it. this weekend is also the weekend of the southern model show, so only 1 day to finish the bench, add an astronomy meeting into the mix, oh boy, a busy weekend ahead.

• Like 1