Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

its been a quiet weekend on the model front, Saturday was the bi-annual meccano meeting. which used up the whole day, Sunday was a day of catch up, all of Saturdays tasks (shopping etc, all of Sundays tasks, and a trip to my parents to drop off a spare piece of vinyl flooring as a temporary expedient to protect the wood floor of their new cedar conservatory, until the local flooring merchant can get round and measure and fit a new vinyl floor for them.

So I found myself last night wondering where the weekend had gone, and nothing done. - still the next phase of the rudder has been planned out - a collar will be soldered to the end of a tube to make up the outer fitting through the hull, then another piece of tube will need to be mounted on the skeg to receive the bottom post of the rudder.

• Like 4

tonight was busy working on that rudder, the fittings have been made and soldered together, paying careful attention to alignment, solder has been cleaned out of holes, and the whole temporarily fixed back together, next to add some wood inside to support the rudder, then cut the rudder parts to length and glue into place, this rudder is bigger and closer to the prop, with a larger leading edge in front of the rudder shaft.

IMG_7806.JPG

IMG_7805.JPG

IMG_7799.JPG

IMG_7798.JPG

IMG_7802.JPG

IMG_7797.JPG

IMG_7803.JPG

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7796.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7804.JPG

• Like 8

Last night, another nearly whole hour lost to the vagaries of the Dartford Crossing, an accident on the other side, so we just stop, at junction 30.

Not a lot of work done, but at least I got a little bit sone, the wood block for inside the hull was drilled and marked for the ribs, and the grooves in the bottom for these was chiselled out.

now all that is needed is for the hull to be cleaned up to remove any glue in the wrong place and this can be fitted in place.

so after taking a couple of evenings off - as I wasnt sure I had enough time of an evening, I got the epoxying done, prop shaft, support and rudder all fixed in place., then the skeg was fitted and bolted in place while everything was setting, all set now and I am happy with the alignment.

since I got some additional bolts, I made a better selection of round head allen bolts to hold this on, these will have a smoother profile than the current allen socket bolts.

IMG_7818.JPG

IMG_7820.JPG

IMG_7816.JPG

IMG_7813.JPG

IMG_7819.JPG

IMG_7814.JPG

IMG_7815.JPG

IMG_7817.JPG

• Like 7

Well today we did a little work on the lathe, what was needed was a water scoop, this had to just pump enough water to simulate the exhaust, so where to start, I knew if I built a scoop it would pump too much water, so how big a hole is needed - the honest answer is I dont know, so lets start with a basic nozzle, a skin fitting for the bottom of the boat, add a 3mm hole the best part of the way through, leave a larger end and turn the rest down to 8mm for the silicon pipe. then its just a simple 0.8mm hole through the end, a scoop - well how about just filing a channel up to the hole. ok scoop done, a similar fitting for the transom, except this will have the 3mm hole right through, this should reduce the flow to an acceptable amount, if there is not enough flow, I have drills in 0.1mm steps right the way up to 3mm, so this one will be trial and error until I get it right.IMG_7827.JPG

IMG_7835.thumb.JPG.ae3e4a12ea84c92a6553fIMG_7830.thumb.JPG.798c926c3599b4c3535ee

IMG_7834.thumb.JPG.d79eff689de72fa24a129IMG_7828.thumb.JPG.11a2d436b7b7d1ce16280

IMG_7834.JPG

IMG_7828.JPG

IMG_7831.JPG

IMG_7832.JPG

IMG_7833.JPG

IMG_7829.JPG

IMG_7835.JPG

IMG_7830.JPG

• Like 5

In yrs past when I ran glow plug motors in boats to restrict the cooling we just had a,clamp on the outlet pipe then they ran at their designed temperature , that would make things a bit easier as its adjustable , if I remember rightly I used clamps from a tropical fish shop that are used to restrict the pumps pressure bit like a,tiny  G clamp really , just a thought :default_beerchug:.

the scoop part has been fitted (so I can fit the rubber tube before I fit all of the transom) the planking of the transom has begun, this is the inner layer, the outer layer will be a more decorative timber (probably some of the teak that comprises Broad Ambitions hull)

IMG_7836.JPG

IMG_7837.JPG

• Like 3

right then, tonight I added another of the vertical transom planks in place, I also got the table saw out, I then set it to a 2.4mm cut and converted a piece of the real Broad Ambition teak into thin wide planks, some of these will become the decorative transom for model #2.

bending tests have been done, and they will happily take the bend for the transom.

The teak cut to a lovely smooth finish, but the outside will of course be sanded flat and brought to a good finish before being finished properly - it should look 'right good lad'

IMG_7838.JPG

IMG_7841.JPG

IMG_7842.JPG

IMG_7840.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When I was a raw apprentice I split a tray of washers, the boss said I had to sort them back into the correct sizes.

After an hour I was boggled eyed when an old fitter gave me a tip, get a magnet wrap it in masking tape until it is only strong enough to pick up the lightest, then the next size etc.

You know what it took some experimenting but it worked a treat.

paul

today was a quiet day - not - I had grinders going and mess was made. all I did on the model was some more planks on the transom, but my big old vice was got out and disassembled to enable me to drill out the broken screw in the jaw, and manufacture a new jaw, this involved grinding, shaping drilling and rust removal. now I just need some m8 countersunk bolts