Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

I dont really have the space at the moment to build full size.

anyway teak is now been steamed and clamped up, tomorrow I will see how it has taken, whether it springs back too much, needs longer in the steamer (this was nearly 20 minutes).

SUNP0170.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Fascinating project Grendel.
Are you tracking the hours you put into it? I know it’s not about that but I suspect it will be a scary number.
What are your plans for the finished model?

John, 2 finished models, 1 for me and 1 for Charlie. time wise I think I can safely say 30 minutes a day average, and it will be 2 years building later this year.

John, 2 finished models, 1 for me and 1 for Charlie. time wise I think I can safely say 30 minutes a day average, and it will be 2 years building later this year.

Amazing job Grendel
The original came past me today, I reckon yours is an upgrade
  • Haha 2

Charlie I still have a lump 5" x 1 1/4" about 2 foot long. so not doing too bad. If you have an odd bit about 36" long I could use it to make the rubbing strakes, I can use the bit I have but it will need a scarf joint.

Leave it, I'll get some from my stock more than the 36" you require.  Top rubbing strips - 2,  1 full width on the transom and the two lower ones for port and stbd sides.  What about the joint / dressing strips on the fwd and aft coach house roofs? - Teak?  and the top cant rails for the edges of the fwd and aft coach house roofs, and the cant rail strips where the deck meets the cabin sides, Toe rails?  Mast? screen landing pad? Mudweight pad?  - enough of course for both models

Griff

• Thanks 1

right, steamed part taken out of the jig, and it straightened - too much, it needs the curve to be the thickness of the wood tighter, second one steaming, this will be given an extra 10 minutes in the steam box - 30 minutes in total then we will see how the curve comes out, if that doesnt work, a tighter former will be needed.

IMG_9742.JPG

• Like 1

Well last you heard I was aiming to steam the part for longer, this was a little better but still straightened too much, so a new former has been made and this afternoon one of the first two parts has been re-steamed and bent to the new tighter curved jig. I'm not sure if I will be able to get many done as I prepare for the meet.

• Like 2

the roof beam formed in the tighter jig was perfect, just got the rest  of the set to do now, this wont be until next week as I am checking everything is packed and ready for the weekend, just the cold food to be packed in a couple of lunch box cooler bags tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

And herewith the real thing. One short plank of genuine Burmese Teak. Buying this small piece from a timber supplier would set you back by about £40 !

Griff

37410B3D-24DD-4B5D-98CC-0ADF5717F68A.jpeg

Ok , since no one else has asked,  which one is the short plank. :default_biggrin:

Sorry , couldn't resist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Less rush more speed Grendel ................... or I think thats what grandma used to say

Hi Charlie,

It should be "More Haste less Speed" my grandmother also had a different take on sayings and Proverbs, a great lady who sadly only just missed out on her 100th birthday.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1