Thurne Lion

Mowjo

I quite like the originality of this pub (have found the pub to be typical pub food too which ain't all bad).. Service has always been friendly. I hope it remains though and doesn't change too much only obviously for the better. 

• Like 1

The moorings need a lot of money spending on them. Quay heading hanging off all over the place and yellow posts marking bits sticking out inti dyke. Not nice!!! Probably £150k to put right from my experience. Somebody with money will need to buy this if it is to remain.:Sailing

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

So Sid Fillery is going, good.

There is a fair chunk of land associated with the pub, will that tempt developers I wonder?

+1  It might once again become popular with the locals.....one of whom told me of the news, with undisclosed glee !

• Like 3

See what you mean Peter! that's something I never knew,, We used a couple of times since he took over thinking the food might have improved but no luck on that one, wasn't so long ago you had to fight to get a mooring there, lets hope the right person buys it and invest a bit of cash, it used to be a goldmine back in the day,,

If you could secure change of use, a first class Architect and a demolition contractor to take care of the shop/amusements it could with a large injection of cash make a very attractive home.

You would have your own moorings without having noisy gawpers a few feet from your back door as so many riverside properties have. It sits nicely on its land and is not an unattractive building to start with.

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

If you could secure change of use, a first class Architect and a demolition contractor to take care of the shop/amusements it could with a large injection of cash make a very attractive home.

You would have your own moorings without having noisy gawpers a few feet from your back door as so many riverside properties have. It sits nicely on its land and is not an unattractive building to start with.

No No Thrice No.......we have to hang on to our pubs......cheersbar

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I can see it being like the Waveney Inn, private moorings, perhaps some camping, maybe a chalet or two, and a very nice pub. Unfortunately at the loss of visitor moorings. 

I think you would find the locals would be very supportive of such a scheme though.

There are Parish moorings at the top of the dyke, as well as the Staithe. Also, only one side belongs to The Lion, those on the opposite bank being under different ownership and open to visitors. These factors would seriously compromise any such scheme as that suggested by JM.

29 minutes ago, Poppy said:

There are Parish moorings at the top of the dyke, as well as the Staithe. Also, only one side belongs to The Lion, those on the opposite bank being under different ownership and open to visitors. These factors would seriously compromise any such scheme as that suggested by JM.

I don't really see why you could not have a mix of private and public moorings. Now if we are talking of the desirability of having your permanent mooring opposite public ones and the turning etc, etc. Then that is another kettle of the proverbial.

4 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I don't really see why you could not have a mix of private and public moorings. Now if we are talking of the desirability of having your permanent mooring opposite public ones and the turning etc, etc. Then that is another kettle of the proverbial.

Exactly the problem. You should see them turning at the staithe. Quite an entertainment - especially at this time of the year.

Not so much fun if your own boat is moored there however :shocked

• Like 1

I too am a fan of the Lion in it's present guise.  Yes it's tired but it's like an old friend who hasn't changed over many years.

The worst case scenario for me would be   1)   the loss of the pub with housing and a private dyke replacing it

Best case scenario imho would be  2)  the mooring repaired the pub given a make over

But I think most probably it will be    3)  Moorings repaired, pub totally upgraded to plastic and chrome with all the character 'improved' out of the place

What I'd really like to see I suppose is a 'Bridge Inn, Acle'  MKII

Griff

• Like 10

You are most likely right Griff, the sort of money needed is probably beyond making a return for an individual. So a large organisation might be tempted. Do Richardsons still have their pubs? Or did they get out? I have not seen their figures for a few years but boating was only about 25% of T/O then.

The Lion is always a must visit for us when on holiday and we time our visit when the live music is on. We have had some great nights there and I agree it has a special sort of charm. I speak to Sid about once a month to get his list of what's on for my Live Music page and always find him to be a pleasant character and easily the most enthusiastic about the upkeep of the page which he says really works for him. I asked recently about the rumours he was leaving and he told me that his lease was due for renewal and that he had come in to some money from winning a court case and was therefore taking retirement. 

I really hope the place does not get sold off as someones private house.

Regards

David

10 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Can I ask though that we don't go into more detail than that about the case and/or other cases on the forum, please.

Even if it's a matter in the public domain - upon which judgement has been handed down?  I find it difficult to understand why the sensitivity!

• Like 1

happy to elaborate as a party that was attempting to purchase pub....

pub was for sale from enterprise inns and we had a viewing for it a month or so ago...kitchen very well kept but obvious issues were roof and outbuildings in need of serious attention. toilets and showers needed ripping out but overall not too bad.

land that comes with pub to the side is on a long term lease to the parish council so no chance of that being changed for 23 years. 

the pub has just been withdrawn from sale with indications it wont return to the market for around 18 months.

The lease on the pub is not signed in sids name but his daughter and partner. the lease is subject to the pub being kept in a fit and proper state which they have lapsed on so they can either surrender it or face a huge bill from enterprise for the breach. I would assume they have decided to go down that route hence the pub being pulled from sale while it is disputed.

offers over the asking price were made (not from us).

the pub would not get change of use as it is the only pub left in the area.

hope that sheds some light on the matter.

• Like 9