Thurne Lion

Mowjo

We visited on the second night it was open. I have never been in a pub with such a choice of beers. We had a chat with the lad managing the place about our days many years ago working for Sam Smiths and the plans for the place.

Im sure it will prove as popular as the White Horse and wish him every success

• Like 2

There wasn't last night, bitterly dissapointing.  Instead there were burgers and sausage sandwiches at 6 quid a throw, YES 6 quid plus a quid extra for toppings. Not impressed I am afraid.

Just now, tjg1677 said:

There wasn't last night, bitterly dissapointing.  Instead there were burgers and sausage sandwiches at 6 quid a throw, YES 6 quid plus a quid extra for toppings. Not impressed I am afraid.

Teething troubles I'm sure. Give them a chance !

• Like 1

When we are next on the Broads, whether by boat or car, a visit is definitely on my to do list. With Eton Mess and Chocolate Brownies on offer I will probably skip the starters and main and have three desserts :naughty: (chocolate brownies twice lol)

The menu looks amazing, well done guys :clap

Grace

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Teething troubles I'm sure. Give them a chance !

53 minutes ago, tjg1677 said:

you are correct there was only a bbq last night, we are launching the menu today (right now actually)...

I am confused why £6 seems ludicrous to you, bun costs 50p, burger 1.20, salad 10p, sauce 5p (1.85 roughly net), after VAT from the £6 we have 4.80 left so make around £3 an item but then have staff to pay to serve/cook it and rent/bills to pay.

we will be tweaking the initial menu over the weekend as we see how things go but very nearly there

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

you are correct there was only a bbq last night, we are launching the menu today (right now actually)...

I am confused why £6 seems ludicrous to you, bun costs 50p, burger 1.20, salad 10p, sauce 5p (1.85 roughly net), after VAT from the £6 we have 4.80 left so make around £3 an item but then have staff to pay to serve/cook it and rent/bills to pay.

we will be tweaking the initial menu over the weekend as we see how things go but very nearly there

Thank you for your totally honest answer .

i think a lot of people forget just how much vat content there is on food as the raw ingredients are not liable .

in Cambridge the average Gourmet style burger is £9 + 

i had a burger in The White Horse last week and it was excellent .

my wife had the sausage mash and root veg (yes even in 26c) she couldn't resist and I think she will insist on a stop off at Gays Staithe every week 

• Like 1

Fast food in burger King is not much less than your £6, I know what i'd rather have. plus £6 isnt bad at all for a 6oz burger, paid more than that 3 years ago on the southern rivers.

We are looking forwards to our first visit under your ownership

Charlie

• Like 1

£6 isn't sad considering as Charlie says Burger king costs more and it's certainly not a £1 burger at costs..  The white horse burgers are really good.

It's easy to forget that everything has to make money.. somethings alone are expensive and it's really hard to make ends meet even if you are busy.

initial feedback from me on the menu. Prices look a bit cheap if you ask me. I can find things to eat on the menu and I'm right fussy. Please don't make it too posh though.

Will pop in next time we are up there :)cheers 

• Like 2

The prices are quite comparable to The Dog just across the fields. If people want sit down food that is what you pay. When comparisons are made with Burger King just think before comparing, you can't get a beer in Burger King.

It is possible to pay much more than these prices on the Broads as we all know well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

£6 isn't sad considering as Charlie says Burger king costs more and it's certainly not a £1 burger at costs..  The white horse burgers are really good.

It's easy to forget that everything has to make money.. somethings alone are expensive and it's really hard to make ends meet even if you are busy.

initial feedback from me on the menu. Prices look a bit cheap if you ask me. I can find things to eat on the menu and I'm right fussy. Please don't make it too posh though.

Will pop in next time we are up there :)cheers 

Prices never look cheap , but they do look good value !!!!!!

better to be busy and make a bit than to charge more and have an empty bar 

39 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Prices never look cheap , but they do look good value !!!!!!

better to be busy and make a bit than to charge more and have an empty bar 

To my mind £6 is value for a 6oz burger in nice surroundings. I was paying £9.95 for a 4oz super burger in the Vazon Bay bikers cafe in early April.

Charlie

• Like 1

quality, pricing and style is all subjective so everyone will have differing opinions and that is fine.

my bottom line is that my rent alone is around £200+vat a day so that will always dictate my pricing and i am sure it is the same for most broads pubs.

freehouses can buy beer in cheaper but rent/mortgage may be higher than a tied pub that buys beer more expensive but has cheaper rent. swings and roundabouts

• Like 5

Hi Rick, 

it's been a long time since I've visited the lion. As a child we always stayed at Hedra house next door and I have fond memories of the village and pub. But I last visited around 2013. I will be stopping at thurne sometime over summer and will pop in. Are te you going to put a new sign up at the end of dyke? Just a thought as the current one is not good. Good luck with everything 

• Like 1

Just now, RegalSafari said:

Hi Rick, 

it's been a long time since I've visited the lion. As a child we always stayed at Hedra house next door and I have fond memories of the village and pub. But I last visited around 2013. I will be stopping at thurne sometime over summer and will pop in. Are te you going to put a new sign up at the end of dyke? Just a thought as the current one is not good. Good luck with everything 

got one up 18620048_648841758645334_631510378297716

• Like 8

Just now, RegalSafari said:

Brilliant I didn't notice that over the bank holiday, I take it the sailing event kept you busy

ye and no, it stoppped alot of boats getting through and the regatta had their own beer tent. we picked up some good local trade though and did really well considering we were only doing a bbq.

We went to the BBQ at the Lion over the bank holiday weekend and the burgers were lovely, so much so that my (now portly) husband had four! So quite honestly, we would rather pay £6 for a really good burger, than save a couple of pounds but end up with a tasteless bit of ground up meat in a second rate bun. 

So, well done Rick and crew for getting the Lion up and running again and for actually making an effort to turn The Lion into a decent pub that's actually worth visiting.

• Like 10