Thurne Lion

Mowjo

Great to see that you are open Rick. We'll call in when we are down in September

I've updated your contact information and link to website  (along with all other Broadland Pubs) in our new Handy Information section which can be found in the header of each page of the forum. (under our Logo)

One of the things I like about The White Horse is that there's a 'less fancy' standard menu and the more restaurant style monthly menu, so something for everyone hopefully. Sometimes I like to try something I haven't had before, other times I prefer something plainer. If Rick follows the same pattern at The Lion I would have thought that's a good way of pleasing most people.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Rick , may I ask if the showers have been refurbished or have they been removed please?

that side of the pub was condemned during our refurbishment and currently just blocked off until we decide how to proceed. Our current plans would not involve reinstating showers currently due to the cost of doing the work and on going maintenance and cleaning of them.

i certainly see a demand in part for such a facility but currently money that we have very little left would be best used elsewhere in the project.

rick

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

that side of the pub was condemned during our refurbishment and currently just blocked off until we decide how to proceed. Our current plans would not involve reinstating showers currently due to the cost of doing the work and on going maintenance and cleaning of them.

i certainly see a demand in part for such a facility but currently money that we have very little left would be best used elsewhere in the project.

rick

That is quite understandable. After all, and I could stand to be corrected by anybody who knows better, No other pubs away from rivers have showers. Keep your eye on the ball Rick, a shower does not make much money and that is what you are in business for.

See you soon.

Thingy. 

• Like 3

If I might add something to the debate.... Showers may not be essential but I'm sure that riverside ones will make some difference to whether someone over-nights there or continues to say, HW, just up river. Boat showers are basic in almost all hire boats and getting enough hot water to shower a family of four is not easy and the running of engines at moorings just for hot water is really anti-social. IMHO. If it means paying a couple of quid for a shower with enough room to swing the proverbial cat, we would happily pay it, and we do at Yacht Stations etc. If the showers are clean and well looked after, it may make enough money to pay for the cleaning and even some left over for profit towards the pub.

Just a thought....cheersbar

When we hired from Hunter's Yard (or indeed Eastwood Whelpton), the showers at the Lion were one of the highlights of the week, as most of the rest of the week we were restricted to a bowl full of water (heated in the kettle if you were lucky) and baby wipes.

I can see why they're not an immediate priority, but if they could be eventually reinstated then they'd be a valuable resource for those without the ability to shower on board. As there were only two or three, they also brought in a fair amount of business from our rather large group, as those of the group not engaged in their ablutions generally took the opportunity to drink in the pub.

We called in the Lion yesterday late afternoon for a nosy, and test the beer was as good as the White horse !

I can confirm the 2 we tried were as good, Redwells Steam larger our usual tiple was top drawer and then tried the Redwells white IPA which was full of flavour but not for the faint hearted as didn't realise until the misus was walking at funny angles down the road with the dog it's over 6% strength.

we will be back

John

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...