Thurne Lion

Mowjo

Me too, I agree with Poppy's comment re sensitivity, but I do appreciate that one wrongly worded statement could bring the wrath of khan down upon our heads. Sid Fillery's wrong doings are there for any one to Google, rather than involving the forum probably that is the best route to take, if such things interest you. His tenure is drawing to an end, perhaps it doesn't matter now. None of us can undo what's been done.

Thanks, Rick, interesting.

• Like 4

When I was last at the Lion they were doing a good trade, both of drinks orders and food – getting customers not just from boats but people in the locality walking to and driving to the pub. It seems a popular place on the face of it.

But look a little deeper and whoever may wish to take this on will need to spend a great deal of money to sustain the business into the years ahead.  From the toilets to the ‘shop’ and games room area it is all very much run down and then the biggest liability are those long moorings – which need new quay heading. 

Having said this. it has an ideal location – capturing a lot of trade from those having taken over a boat from Herbert Woods, or those stopping there on their last night before returning so those moorings are an important asset.  

I could imagine with some investment, this becoming a great place that would continue to capture both passing trade and people coming from far and wide.  With a good selection of drinks, decent food and a more fresh modern interior I don’t think it could go wrong.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

I'd love to see you guys running that place, Rick! An establishment like the White Horse in that location would be brilliant.

+1.. I didn't quite know the past but it would be brilliant to see another pub like the White Horse here. So should it come back on the market please try again! 

• Like 2

It would seem that not every one likes the place as is:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=The+St,+The+Lion+Inn,+Great+Yarmouth,+United+Kingdom&ludocid=4808563165505085037&gws_rd=cr&ei=PgGpV9PhGtCugAaUg53ADQ#lrd=0x47d9ffd9ead72d9b:0x42bb72b8dff55e6d,1

If Sid & Co are determined to stay then a spot of crowd-funding for a few cans of paint might not go amiss!

The Tripadvisor reviews make interesting reading. The Lion seems to be a place you either love or hate. I've only been in there a couple of times and a few years ago now. I have to be honest and say that it's the bad reviews that keep me away, shows how 'word of mouth' can be so vital to these trades.

• Like 3

I've never had as meal (as such) in the Lion, But several times a season we sail down to the Lion, I have a pint with a  bacon and egg baguette. Something I enjoy as a civilised break before, racing back to Horning. I would definately miss the Lion if it went.

I do hope it stays as a pub and there is an investor out there who'll put the necessary money in. It's such a lovely spot and yes reviews can be subjective but I've always thought of it as a dive and the landlord a grumpy old eccentric with no clue about customer service.

We only went in once way back in 2001, I can't remember much about the place other than there was only limited food available because the chef who was living on a wreck outside the pub was having a slagging match with their partner.

I do hope however that the pub stays open, we need all the pubs to stay open on the Broads.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

The area needs all the remaining pubs to survive and prosper. I personally cannot wait until the day I can put The Lion back on the list of pubs I will visit, the sooner Sid is gone, the sooner that will happen. Given the central location and amount of mooring around the pub, it should do well, just needs a change of tenant and as an additional bonus to be purchased out of the hands of the greedy Pubcos, although I'll settle for the first for now. I think in the long run the closed mooring situation at the mouth of The Thurne will get resolved, so given those moorings and either side of the dyke I would find it hard to believe that anyone could claim the pub couldn't be profitable and therefore a change of use to residential as the only viable alternative, especially given the example down the road in Upton.

• Like 6

We used to use it all the time, the Food and service were great, steak and ale pies you had to climb into to eat them, pure luck if you could get a mooring in the dyke, and the resturant was always full, I've used it once since Sid took over, the food was rank and we left it, the staff were fine though, I just hope someone takes it over who cares, Oh! and I miss that little conveniance shop on the green,,  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Like him or hate him, Sid proved the pub is a viable business.

I like Sid and have sufficient faith in our system to ignor that most reliable source of information, the gutter press.. If the Lion is lost to us, it will be owing to lack of support! End of!!!

Apparently it has been viable but would it have been had it been reasonably maintained? If I believe what I have been told and have read then the backlog of work is pretty daunting.

I would hate to think that the Lion could be lost but it won't be for lack of support, more a lack of readies. Sid must be of an age to retire so presumably his daughter is its future if the Fillery family is to be involved. I'm only guessing but if that is the case then I wish her well. 

Personally I see a potential and profitable future for the Lion, if someone comes along with the wherewithal. 

14 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Like him or hate him, Sid proved the pub is a viable business.

I like Sid and have sufficient faith in our system to ignor that most reliable source of information, the gutter press.. If the Lion is lost to us, it will be owing to lack of support! End of!!!

Perhaps you've not scrolled down the list of 'Google' results quite far enough - or you regard the BBC as part of 'the gutter press ' ?

Whether you regard the BBC as the gutter press or not, they were only reporting the facts of his sentencing at Bow Street Magistrates back in 2003. If those facts had been wrong I'm sure that Sid would have filed for libel. I have deliberately not discussed what he was sentenced for, there are those who already know, and for the rest Google will reveal all.

Like Maurice I don't have much faith in the gutter press, nor the BBC on some issues, but I do have some faith in our legal system. There are issues that concern me and I don't believe that they should be brushed under the carpet and forgotten. However, that doesn't lessen my concern for the future of The Lion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Regarding that unpleasant 2003 case I note that Sid was 57 back then so presumably he is now 70, surely time to retire and quietly move on?

which probably takes us back to the begining of this thread....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, Poppy said:

That could be good news.

Yes it could be, on the other hand it might not be. If it is then that is a real step in the right direction, unless we wanted things to go the other way, in which case the 'step in the right direction' would be a step too far in a contrary manner, which we most emphatically do not want. That would be bad news notwithstanding that we pigeonholed it as good news when for all intents and purposes it should have been categorized as bad news.

If indeed it turns out to be bad news and was initially correctly identified as such, that would be a real shame though better that we should know as we are all aware that no news is good news. I should clarify that the expression "no news is good news" is meant on this (and most other) occasion to mean lack of news is good rather than all news being bad.

In this instance and on this occasion, I shall refrain from giving my opinion on whether this news is good or bad, as I can't actually remember what the news was. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes it could be, on the other hand it might not be. If it is then that is a real step in the right direction, unless we wanted things to go the other way, in which case the 'step in the right direction' would be a step too far in a contrary manner, which we most emphatically do not want. That would be bad news notwithstanding that we pigeonholed it as good news when for all intents and purposes it should have been categorized as bad news.

If indeed it turns out to be bad news and was initially correctly identified as such, that would be a real shame though better that we should know as we are all aware that no news is good news. I should clarify that the expression "no news is good news" is meant on this (and most other) occasion to mean lack of news is good rather than all news being bad.

In this instance and on this occasion, I shall refrain from giving my opinion on whether this news is good or bad, as I can't actually remember what the news was. 

That's why I'm reserving judgement - I think :shocked