Thurne Lion

Mowjo

Just now, NorfolkNog said:

There are very few teetotal musicians in my experience  Rick! {including me} :naughty: you may be able to do a deal with the offer of some quality beer thrown in! cheersbar 

true they do like a tipple, i feel it may take some trial and error. the rectangular nature of the bar areas doesnt lend itself that well to a live music set but i am looking into options with music in the garden to maybe solve it.

• Like 1

Maybe the dining area after dining?  Not sure how it might go down with locals (noise nuisance and all that) but a band playing from 9.30 say, perhaps on a Friday or Saturday, when food pretty much finished, might encourage diners to stay on for an extra beer or several, and others to come in after eating aboard.  Maybe not every week, and perhaps not in peak season when you ought to be heaving anyway, but in the slacker weeks.  The Pleasureboat have bands in that tent thing they have beside the pub, which I'd guess a little smaller than your dining area at The Lion.

• Like 1

Just now, Bobdog said:

Maybe the dining area after dining?  Not sure how it might go down with locals (noise nuisance and all that) but a band playing from 9.30 say, perhaps on a Friday or Saturday, when food pretty much finished, might encourage diners to stay on for an extra beer or several, and others to come in after eating aboard.  Maybe not every week, and perhaps not in peak season when you ought to be heaving anyway, but in the slacker weeks.  The Pleasureboat have bands in that tent thing they have beside the pub, which I'd guess a little smaller than your dining area at The Lion.

could be an option to look into, may trial some different combinations of seating/layout and timings over the summer and see what works. it may be worth starting with a duo/solo act and then do a bigger event but with limited kitchen ie. hog roast/pizzas to free up dining room

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

I know it's a matter of taste but loud music really needs to be reserved for music venues.

There are many enjoyable bands/artists that are very easy on the ear drums.

Traditional Folk is neither loud nor intrusive,,, the performers don't take up a load of space, and would attract a regular patronage.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

we aim to please, it is also around my birthday so bit manic!

more thank likely have one one as its a great gluten free option, we did a gin and tonic one earlier this year...

Excellent. I suffer from the coeliac condition and it makes a huge difference when eating places consider gluten free options. It would be great to see either the menu marked up with gluten free or a separate menu. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Excellent. I suffer from the coeliac condition and it makes a huge difference when eating places consider gluten free options. It would be great to see either the menu marked up with gluten free or a separate menu. 

you should check out our current menu then http://thewhitehorseinnneatishead.com/eating/ lots of GF goodies on there and also on our core menu. all chips and batter are gluten free also.

5 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

I might suggest that wandering along for a pint or two plus some chin wagging with a certain Sonia may well prove benefitial on all fronts including music!

wander along to where?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Sorry for assuming you might know about "The Ferry House" at Surlingham. One of the deservedly most polular pubs on the Broads.

i dont get out that much, especially that far south :) only other places really i go are the lessingham star, fat cat or the gunton arms

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Trevor is referring to the Ferry at Surlingham Rick., I believe they combine music and food quite successfuly 

As much as I love the Ferry Inn, I actively avoid their music sessions. Bit too noisy when I'm trying to eat and have a conversation I'm afraid.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

I love the Idea of cider Brewingcheersbar ( I do a little myself)cheersbar. I see you are planning an alternative to seafood, which is just as well, I hate the seafood !!!

The later down river races from Horning are listed as 16th Jul, 20th Aug, 8th Oct, But are not specifically listed as Thurne, they may go to Acle, I'm not sure on that at the moment.

Guiness is owned by Diagio, who are a British Multinational alcohol supplier, the Guiness family own much less than 10% of Guiness, though they retain control of the Brewery property in Dublin.  The Guiness family are Anglo-Irish, having lived both in Ireland and in the UK for several generations.

They also own 23000 acres of Suffolk namely the Elveden Estate. Having left it to its own devices for a long time Arthur Edward Roy Guinness, the fourth Earl of Iveagh is now in the driving seat and is really motoring the Estate forwards.

I heard the work folk mentioned, I know of one broadland pub where the monthly folk club drive more away than in as they are pretty awful and those that turn up with them tend to drink tap water and odd teas while taking up the table space so the whole thing costs the business money, I'm not anti folk if it's done well.

The water rats have a bit of a reputation for causing problems too, best having them in for an afternoon set before they get too pi55ed as they can get fairly obnoxious by the evening.

And I like live music in a pub.

Hi Rick,

I put together a monthly listing of live music across the Broads throughout the summer months. 

https://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/Norfolk_Broads_live_music_guide.asp

I am therefore in regular touch with the venues and I see that the New Inn, Horning, The Kings Arms Ludham and the White Horse in Upton on the Northern Broads rely on live music events to bring the custom in through the summer season. The first two have weekly events whereas the White Horse is fortnightly. Weekly quizzes are also popular. I remember that Sid, the former landlord, would have weekly events (twice weekly in the main season) to coincide with the start and finish days for Herbert Woods. It made a good first or last night. Sid did say he was aware staff at Herbert Woods were recommending the "night" when asked for suggestions. 

Regarding the actual venue for music, we attended whenever on holiday and the music would begin around 9.30pm and go on till around 11.30pm. Food service had finished by the start time and people did stay on. As an alternative what about using the family room (below) unless you have other plans for it.

Regards

David

By the way, when you are up and running, if you let me know about any events, I will include them into the listing. There is no charge. 

family-room1.jpg