And Now From Norwich... It's Scrumpy Holiday Time

Day 3... 

An early rise for us both.. Due to no 3G signal at our mooring it was good old guess work on the tide... And by the looks of it .. It paid off low tide.. So it was a quick start off and we headed to somerleyton swing bridge the sun was now out and reflecting on the smoothness of the river... Then as we passed the moorings I looked over at the height gauge 9ft 6 .. Nice a foot clearance that will do nicely..as I looked up still double red flags.. But then I noticed 3 network rail guys working on the bridge.. That's a good site to see,,, so hopefully they fixed it for fellow boaters and are return back up.. At this point Her in doors got the frying pan out and started the bacon ... Mmmmm that lush smell of bacon cooking.. So it was sarnie on the move .. Can't complain it was lovely having the river to ourselves so as we came to the split Oulton broad or Beecles.... Hmmmmm so I headed right towards Beecles passing a que a the WRC waiting to pump out at this point her indoors had her shower and the hair dryer in its flat out mode drowning out radio 2 lol.. It was like going along a mill pond .. So with Beecles not far I pulled into to have my shower at  Alderby hall staithe moorings as all others was full.... After having refreshing shower nearly draining out the water tank it was onwards upwards .. Now a decision was to be made should we stay in Beecles or Just pump out fill up with fresh and move on to Oulton broad for the night.. So we headed into H.E Hippersons boat yard and yet again we was welcome with a friendly welcome by a nice chap called Luke who pumped us out and filled up with fresh water £15 the cost of a pump out now.. After the fill up we said are good byes and headed out .. Oulton broad was are destination so we headed out back past WRC and still a que of boats there waiting to pump out ... At this point a phoned OBYS to reserve a side on mooring and with delight they had a couple left so that was good news  .. To celebrate,  her in doors cracked opened the peanuts that I had forgotten about ha ha.. So as we headed slowly into Oulton broad we was looking at the beautiful houses and one had the Quirkiest summer houses I've ever seen .. I wouldn't mind one.. But knowing my luck I would get in it and it would roll off lol..  After nearly doing a full lap of the broad it was time to moor.. Should be fun as this was our first time of staying here so I called up the OBYS on vhf 73 and asked where they wanted us .. So one of the harbour staff was waiting on the floating pontoon to take are ropes.. Well here we are moored up on Oulton broad it was a quick visit to the spar to stock up on dish cloths ha ha ha and other important essentials.. Now the hard decision is where to eat tonight.. Chinese.. Indian.. Fish and chips.. Wavney pub.. Or the wherry hotel.. Any recommendations would be good.. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10

41 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Now the hard decision is where to eat tonight.. Chinese.. Indian.. Fish and chips.. Wavney pub.. Or the wherry hotel.. Anyrecommendation 

Peter would be the man to advise. I tend to be very wary of carverys but the one at the Wherry Hotel seems very popular (good turnover). 

The Commodore is supposed to be good (bit out of my price range though) :naughty:

Please let us know how you get on cheersbar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Great spot at Oulton Broad, I've never been on the outside of the marina and never thought to book ahead. Great tip!

After last years August bank holiday with no moorings I thought I would book..  But we have no tv signal again .. I've moved the aerial forwards backwards down and up.. Still nothing lol:dance

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Peter would be the man to advise. I tend to be very wary of carverys but the one at the Wherry Hotel seems very popular (good turnover). 

The Commodore is supposed to be good (bit out of my price range though) :naughty:

Please let us know how you get on cheersbar

Howard ..Easy solution in the end we wrote down on little pieces of paper of options put in my hat and the first one out was gonna be it....

Donor kebab it was... From flames.. Something different ... 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2016 at 10:21 PM, Gracie said:

Shhh, don't let Howard (Norfolknog) hear you say the word lager, I mentioned Stella once and he nearly had kittens

Hi Simon,

Yes it pays to book a mooring at Oulton Broad Yacht Station, if you are wanting see the racing on Thursdays (or the bank holidays) ask for an outer pontoon mooring, at other times choose a inside pontoon mooring because you will get less slap against the hull.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Day 4... 

Good morning from OBYS... Not sure what we have planned today.. This has to be one of the best moorings we have been to.. I'm going to let her in doors decide today what to do as its our 14th wedding anniversary.. We was both thinking of just having a quiet day here in Oulton broad watching the world go by as its such a lovely spot.. Also some good pubs try out he he .. So will have to let you knows later what the plan is ....

• Like 6

Hi Scrumpy, nice picture of Spray & Jenny Morgan, glad that I gave them a wash the other day!

If you are looking for somewhere special for a meal at Oulton Broad then Ivy Farm takes some beating, Eve's bar is a delight, Staff in the harbour master's office will tell you how to get there. The Commodore is another nice pub but I reckon that their deserts are a bit of a rip-off.

• Like 1

On a nice day it's not a bad walk into Lowestoft - not sure what you can then do there, but the walk is pleasant as you can either go down the side of Lake Lothing or through the park - we did a circular route. It is a fair walk though.

Or just chill and enjoy the weather and anniversary presents - you did buy at least one?:bow:hardhat:

• Like 1

Thank you all ..

We have just been over to the Waveney pub.. Wow food is fantastic the portions are massive.. As the saying goes we've pushed the boat lol.. 3 course each forgot to take picture of starters .. It was the biggest prawn cocktail I've ever had in a pub or restaurant.. Good value Good range of beers ciders and lagers and ice cold Guinness lush.. Helps each course go down lol.. So we decided after pudding lol .. It would be back to the boat and watch the sail boats while my vision gets more slightly blurred from sneaky visits to the fridge he he :facepalm:.... 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Just thought I would update on a collision on Oulton broad out side wherry hotel moorings.. While sat at stern of our boat sipping cocktails (Heineken) 2 Richardsons boats approaching the wherry moorings .. One was coming in at speed 6mph plus and spins around by us causing waves making us all Bob about.. Young lad with girl friend and Dingey on tow.. And the other boat was there parents ... Anyway after a few loop da loops around,, the young giving it full beans decides it's time to moor.... Flat out in reverse hitting the side of silverline marine boat silver simoon.. forgetting he has a Dingey on the back.. Then stopping mid flow Realising he had the Dingey on, and jumps in to it to grab the ropes from it... Now when he stop he didn't put it in neutral it was in forward .... So he is in the Dingey no one at the wheel... Now the shouting started.. His girlfriend jumps in the seat to take control .., she stears into silver simoon while going forward at this point dragging the Dingey with her boyfriend then wripping out the mud weight from silver simoon and pulling it from its mooring ... After a lot of shouting the untangling began... Then it was take 2... The parents moored up first followed by the if in doubt flat out boat.. And after all that not even a sorry was said...:facepalm:

• Like 8