Fire Crews Fight Oulton Broad Boat Fire

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Oulton Broad boat fire earlier this evening, thankfully no reported injuries

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/firefighters_tackle_boat_blaze_in_oulton_broad_1_4740835

Just read this report taken from the EDP.

Can anyone tell me when the fire brigade were issued with a crystal ball?

Apparently the fire happened this afternoon but the fire brigade were trying to contact the owner Last Night..............Why?

Jeff

51 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Its a wonder that more boats near it were not effected.

Amazing but the boats at that mooring aren't all laying immediately alongside each other as they are at Oulton Broad's Yacht Station. The thought of a blaze like that at a packed Broads mooring doesn't bare thinking about!

• Like 1

Nice stuff, fibreglass, isn't it? Notice all that thick black, chemical smoke.

This is typical of an older boat, probably moulded before the more modern fire retardant resins. It is fine until a fire brings it up to its flash temperature, then it just "cooks off" like napalm. You can see why a fire like this, on a stern on mooring in a Broads basin, will take out 4 or 5 other boats before it can be brought under control.

I have seen a couple of boats, burned almost to the waterline before being sunk by the fire brigade's hoses. They carried on burning, on the bottom of the river!

• Like 1

if this happens at a boatyard then, when the mooring ropes burn and the boats drift across the river then it really gets exciting

In my experience on a few when the fire hit the waterline the fire goes out. although we have also  had a few which sunk. 

fire retardant gel coat is only a requirement around the gas locker. I don't know of any forces which have started in the gas locker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.Ricko said:

if this happens at a boatyard then, when the mooring ropes burn and the boats drift across the river then it really gets exciting

In my experience on a few when the fire hit the waterline the fire goes out. although we have also  had a few which sunk. 

fire retardant gel coat is only a requirement around the gas locker. I don't know of any forces which have started in the gas locker. 

Hi Clive, nice to see you posting again.

RE the fire retarding resin around the gas locker, it may not start IN the gas locker, why should it?, but it may give a few vital minutes to PREVENT the fire ACCESSING the gas bottles?.  I`m sure you would already know that, but it`s just the way your post came across, so apollogies if i`ve misinterpreted it.

"The Suffolk Fire and Rescue Services believe the fire was caused by a household dehumidifier and have warned boaters not to leave appliances unattended."

That would kind of defeat the purpose of a dehumidifier. 

These units are used in households and boats throughout the country,  never heard of any in the UK catching fire before.  Do Hotpoint,  Beco and Creda make dehumidifiers ? 

Hi Peter,  

If I had no shore power,  was removing all soft furnishings and not using the boat over winter then I would ventilate, 

As I have power and use the boat all winter,  a dehumidifier is great. :)

I would have to make a couple of trips home with the amount of soft furnishings onboard. 

The Broom Scorpio had mould on the underside of the roof after 6 weeks,  fortunately it wipes off easily from the grp .