Too Small A Workshop?

JennyMorgan

Some of you might know the saga of the BA's workshop at Thorpe, others of you might not. Read carefully between the lines and maybe you'll be a little wiser. Basically it means that if you built a boat house make sure it's big enough in the first place otherwise it's a waste of money.

http://www.broadsnationalpike.com/2016/11/members-disciplined-at-mockyard-torture.html

• Like 3

we had similar, a local school built an observatory, bought a telescope, set it up in the observtory, then contacted us - the local astronomy group. we went in, designed and built an 8 foot pier to put the telescope on, designed a raised floor for their craft department to build to use it, yes they were only 8 feet short of seeing through the telescope dome.

• Like 3

I find the white tent a tad hypocritical. The yard is what it is, always reasonably tidy, it looks just as I'd expect of a working yard, I really don't have a problem with that, but the usual insistence that riverside leisure sheds & the like  be brown or green does suggest a hint of double standards. Having said that, this tent is, apparently, perfectly legal but is it a good example? 

• Like 2

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

I find the white tent a tad hypocritical. The yard is what it is, always reasonably tidy, it looks just as I'd expect of a working yard, I really don't have a problem with that, but the usual insistence that riverside leisure sheds & the like  be brown or green does suggest a hint of double standards. Having said that, this tent is, apparently, perfectly legal but is it a good example? 

Peter, are you just being a tad "synical"?, lol. 

Seriously though, it sounds like a classic case of "do as i say, not do as i do"?.

• Like 1

Dnks, by workshop do you mean the tent or the building that is being renovated?  I know nothing about the buildings, other than that the newest one has proven a bit small as a workshop and tall as a structure. The tent, incidentally, cost less than four thousand, including delivery, not bad if you ask me, and it was used when the Ra was refurbished. Presumably the RA was too big for the workshop. Now the tent is being used for storage, so I understand. The rivers team and their management do a fine job, in my view, so I doubt that they would have asked for it unless they could make good use of it. I do wonder why, when the workshop was built, that the size of Ra & the then prospective SOB were not taken into account though.

• Like 1

A temporary structure is only allowed for less than 28 Days,

The floor area of permanent structures can only be up to 100 square meters or 50% of the original current  building on the site which ever is the greater on designated land I believe in this case Desginated land means within the Broads Park area.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/55/warehouses_and_industrial_buildings