Spark Of Light

Broads01

Just now, C.Ricko said:

We are too busy  getting everyone else boats ready!

What...you mean Clive's going to pitch in and help varnish Royal Tudor so we can get her back in the water and off to that wet shed? Jolly decent of you old boy! :naughty:

• Like 2

On 12/11/2016 at 5:55 PM, Broads01 said:

Herbert Woods have restored Spark of Light for the 2017 season https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/boating-holidays/our-boats/spark-of-light.html

There are no internal photos yet apart from the cockpit view but it looks very appealing.  Alas for 4 people for a week in peak season you have to part with £2177! 

As mentioned on previous threads,  Richardsons have Jomaric for next year (I wonder who's copying who?). I guess these boats are vinyl records (popular at the moment I know)  in a world of digital downloads so it'll be interesting to see if they're a success and more classic boats become available for hire. 

Plenty of classic boats for hire at Martham Boats so who is copying who?

I think there's room for everyone in the classic side of things. Spark of Light, built 1927, is super-old compared to the Martham fleet so I don't think it's direct competition. Even if it was, more choice for potential customers I say. It's a lovely looking boat and I'm hoping to see it out on hire in all its glory. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I think there's room for everyone in the classic side of things. Spark of Light, built 1927, is super-old compared to the Martham fleet so I don't think it's direct competition. Even if it was, more choice for potential customers I say. It's a lovely looking boat and I'm hoping to see it out on hire in all its glory. 

http://www.marthamboats.com/sailing-yachts-for-hire/zoe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.Ricko said:

How do you know we don't all help sick kids? 

Also I think Martham have a very different offer to that of Little ships, Herbert Woods boat is very different to ours.

Also how do you know we don't all get along and  help each other?

We have not finished ours ready for hire yet, but I am not doing it to make a packet, I just like old boats, I have a few and would like to justify having so many and I like them out on the water, I am sure it will be hard work so lets just see how it goes..

Clive , I didn't mean to infer that yours and other yards didn't help various charities and children etc , as I know that you do as do others and I apologise if you took it that way.

what I was saying that the new (old) offering from HW would be more suitable as a PR tool than a hire craft and yards such as Martham has always gone down the woody route.

plus of course a fully restored vintage woody no matter how experienced the helm will act as a magnet if moored at various hot spots for those not so careful at the helm .

• Like 2

As a wooden boat nut, my take on it is well done, fantastic job! I'd rather see several tonne of biodegradable wood and varnish than a modern boat any day of the week. Wooden boats are part of Broadland Heritage but...let's be quite clear about this... they are the family heritage of people like Clive. Who better to be restoring these boats than the families and companies that built and owned them in the first place?

I might own Royal Tudor but as far as I'm concerned I would respect Alan and Nigel Royall's input, as well as the input of the people who have holidayed on her over the past fifty-six years. I think it's the mirror that does it for me. What i mean is that RT still has her original vanity mirror. If I look into it I get a feeling that all those folks on holiday are looking back at me. The chance find of an old penny in the bilge get's me wondering...

As for quality, you only have to step onto a wooden boat to experience the difference. I don't tend to class Ikea as the pinnacle of quality, taste and design, but each to their own. On a cruise in company I gave Keith a turn at the helm of RT...Lord Paul has some drone footage and it's in the intro to my videos. Keith was expecting something heavy and unwieldy and I think he was quite surprised at how nimble and light to the helm the old girl is. Currently she's battered and bruised but very soon she will be gleaming...with the odd nod to modernity like new heads, cooker,fridge and sink.

I would like to see many more old woodies restored to their former glory. What I would really like to see is, oh I dunno...maybe the latest in luxury Broads Cruising from Richardsons in the shape of a new purpose built for the Broads WOODEN cruiser...even with one of those eco friendly engines.

• Like 7

I liken the owning of a classic wooden boat to the owning of a vintage telescope. You dont really own the boat, you are the temporary custodian of a piece of history, which will eventually be passed on to another temporary custodian, so it is your responsibility to treat her well and then pass her on at the end of your custodianship in the best state that you can.

Clive has restored her to her former glory, it would be a shame to now just sit her there doing nothing, so adding her to the hire fleet to give many more people the joy of skippering a true old woody is to my mind the right way to approach it. Thus she earns her keep, and gets out there for everyone to enjoy.

• Like 10

I will help anyone with any work on any boat, just bring your boat down to Horning and I will do my best to get you a fair price.

I didn't take offence I was just stating our position, I should use emojis (or even punctuation a bit more) 

Jomaric has never been on hire, she was built in 1949. she has an electric toilet, modern galley, new nanni Diesel engine, hot air heating and we have replaced the canopy and steering to make life easier, also tinted glass all round, the upholstery and flooring is new. 

I have lined the shower and toilet with modern materials which are easy to sanitise which may not be to everyones taste but you can't have everything! 

Jomaric is fully varnished inside and out. 

herbert woods Maffett and Martham are very different offerings, I think we are producing something very similar to Adam and Kate at little ships but although I have not seen inside water rail, Christina is full of gadgets and a really nice boat. 

I have my eye on a couple more but for different reasons 

• Like 5

Tinted windows. on a classic woody?!?!

Personally I'm no fan of tinted windows at the best of times, in both cars and boats. Darn things are both antisocial and a barrier to the outside. Sailing along the river and along comes a boat with 'black' windows, is my wave being returned, is there anyone aboard even? Horrible things! In a classic woody, terrible!

Personally I'm no fan of tinted windows at the best of times, in both cars and boats. Darn things are both antisocial and a barrier to the outside.

I've got to disagree - while some dislike, I like. They do offer a nice look and Broad Ambition's lines and windows lend themselves to the tint, it offers privacy for those in the cabins and also does handy things like blocks U.V light so things don't fade in cabins.

That said, we do not have our wheelhouse windows tinted and on modern boats where windows are tinted it would be better to my mind to have dark tint on the cabins but a light tint on the other windows in the saloon, front screen etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, trambo said:

Think posted before but here is Jomaric last year.

Horning Marina. Norfolk Broads September 2016.

gorgeous, I just love the lines of the planks curving up at the bow, having built the model of Broad Ambition, I can appreciate just how and why this is happening, even when you shape the planks (ie narrower at the ends than middle) this is just how the planks lay.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2017 at 9:47 AM, JennyMorgan said:

Tinted windows. on a classic woody?!?!

Personally I'm no fan of tinted windows at the best of times, in both cars and boats. Darn things are both antisocial and a barrier to the outside. Sailing along the river and along comes a boat with 'black' windows, is my wave being returned, is there anyone aboard even? Horrible things! In a classic woody, terrible!

I am sure thats correct in your view and perhaps some others but I have tinted glass in Broadsventure and it is better in every aspect, 

the canopy on Jomaric is not original, I had it made, I think its called progress, 

as Robin says Broad ambition has tinted glass but the window apertures have also been enlarged, is this wrong? same as putting the rear doors in, its not original but in the owners eyes it is better, I think its progress and up to the owner what they do, 

in the 1980s people removed edwardian and victorian bathrooms and put in modern avocado and peach suites, they also panelled over doors, it can all be put back if the new owners don't agree with it. 

some people think beards and/or ponytails look good. 

• Like 10

On 5/17/2017 at 9:14 AM, springsong said:

Helo Clive

lI must get round to see Jomaric, is she at Horning ?

Adam and Katie are going to have a  really well

presented fleet of wooden boats when they get

them finished. See below.

http://www.littleships.co.uk/

Hi Barry, 

I know Adam and Kate, we spend quite a lot of time in the misbelief   that wooden boats can be a great idea. I'm sure anyone who agrees is correct too. 

Pop in in a few weeks time, hopefully we will have cleared the backlog and will be progressing with Jomaric. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

I am sure thats correct in your view and perhaps some others but I have tinted glass in Broadsventure and it is better in every aspect, 

the canopy on Jomaric is not original, I had it made, I think its called progress, 

as Robin says Broad ambition has tinted glass but the window apertures have also been enlarged, is this wrong? same as putting the rear doors in, its not original but in the owners eyes it is better, I think its progress and up to the owner what they do, 

in the 1980s people removed edwardian and victorian bathrooms and put in modern avocado and peach suites, they also panelled over doors, it can all be put back if the new owners don't agree with it. 

some people think beards and/or ponytails look good. 

And in 2000+ they started putting 'em back in again!

PS, I like the back door idea.

PPS, Beards are brilliant, haven't got round to the ponytail yet, or better still, a man-bun! 

• Like 3

On 17/01/2017 at 8:05 PM, Broads01 said:

Martham have a long tradition of classic boats but their boats,  being 1960s vintage (or 1970s in the case of Silver Jubilee)  are positive newbies compared to Spark of Light from 1927. Even Richardsons' Jomaric is 20 odd years newer! 

Possibly dreamt this, but I have the feeling I remember that the Silver Jubilees were actually built in the early 60s on similar (but longer) lines to the Juliettes, then modernised to their present appearance for the 1977 season. Anybody remember if this actually happened and if so what was the class name.

• Like 1

All the Martham classes with the exception of the Silver Jubilee class and Jayne have been rebuilt from their 1950's appearance when they were also had a fully varnished appearance, Still look good though in their remodernised state.

Spark of Light looks superb, pity they did not go all the way with a varnished superstructure but still fantastic. Herbert Wood's are obviously not superstitious  to use the original name as it did "spark" back in the 30s and was renamed after being rebuilt.

Fred

• Like 1

Silver Jubilee from a 1972 brochure, more or less the same as today and the Juliette class as built from a 1967 brochure.

IMG

IMG_0002

Interesting how over the years less and less information has appeared in the agency brochures.

Fred

• Like 2

Thanks for the brochure pages Fred. Before this discussion I thought perhaps Silver Jubilee was built for the Queen's Jubilee in 1977 but your brochure suggests a 1972 launch. The Juliettes were built 1957-66 it would seem with 9 in the class by 1967. I didn't realise there were that many. 

My understanding is that three Silver Jubilee s were built one in 1970 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of Martham boats, another in 1972 and finally one in 1977 to celebrate the Queen s Silver Jubilee. Only one and three remain on hire. I believe the Janet's and Judith s date from the early 50s and were rebuilt in the Late 70s to match the appearance of Silver Jubilee

Neil

• Like 2