Bounty Boats Ballast

BB37

I was looking at the Buccaneer section of the Boats Of The Norfolk Broads website and found a photo of one in 1974. It seems to be floating quite high at the bow in comparison to the ones today. I was wondering if the ones around now have got some ballast under the front well/in the bow.

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=3996&BoatHistory=6077

BOUNTYBOW.JPG

Whereas this is a bow of one today.

I think it is an optical illusion where painting more of the hull black (which is what is used instead of a traditional and more expensive anti foul under the hull) makes it appear as if it is floating 'higher in the water'.

If that just had a smart boot line around the water's edge it would likely look just as did in an older photo - certainly I can see no reason to put ballast in the hull there is very little space there anyway under the moulded seating to put such.

This looks like an old trick to me. Have a close look at the photo and see how dirty the actual waterline is.

If you haven't got time to clean your hulls every week before they go out, you can always raise the antifouling up 6 inches or so, and the dirt is not so noticeable!

• Like 4

Can't say for the 37 but I know a 28 with a couple of 56lb weights on a shelf in the well fwd of the helm, and I call dibs if they get removed, can never have enough 56lb weights. but I would agree with others that the two boats pictured do not look to be sitting that different in the water to me.