Brinks Encore

BryanW

Since I had been mentioning Brinks Encore on both the 'Royalls' and 'Brinks Serenade' threads and it is a new boat that I have an interest in I thought I ought to start a new thread.

I have just had it confirmed that the Encores are being built by Silverline but I guess to Barnes' specification so they should be quality.  The layout plans on the Hoseasons and Barnes web sites do differ, what will be reality we may not know yet but Hoseasons would have wanted pictures fairly early last year so possibly Barnes are more correct but we will see, the Hoseasons layout appears to be the same as Brinks Sonnet. The other thing is that Encore will not have the after rails that are shown in their pictures.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BryanW said:

The other thing is that Encore will not have the after rails that are shown in their pictures.

I believe that you only get those pushpit rails on the private

boats but I could be wrong. Pulpit rails maybe, as you do see

them on hire craft.

Generally that is correct, the only boat we have ever hired with pushpit rails has been Gala Girl 3 which was an ex private boat.  We find that they can be a bit of a pain squeezing past them down the side of the boat but useful stern on mooring where my wife has something to hold on to.  I have never bent them by the way.

I think the Broom's smaller boats like Torvill have pushpit rails. We had called in at Broom's for water one day last year and a boat had been returned by a hirer after only a couple of days of the week's hire. Apart from a couple of scrapes, the pushpit rail had received a severe wallop and was badly bent and wrenched from its fixings. The guy at Broom's thought it probably happened when leaving a mooring. The hirers decided boating wasn't for them!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2017 at 2:12 PM, BryanW said:

I have just had it confirmed that the Encores are being built by Silverline 

Bryan, you might be interested looking at Silverlines Facebook page which has photographs of their version, Silver Coral under construction, though it has a different cabin plan from Encore in that the bed is arranged like Silver Symphony which I know your not keen on. If you scroll down there are also photos of a private Ensign 286 that they fitted out in 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/silverlinemarine/

Regards

Fred

15 hours ago, trambo said:

Bryan, you might be interested looking at Silverlines Facebook page which has photographs of their version, Silver Coral under construction, though it has a different cabin plan from Encore in that the bed is arranged like Silver Symphony which I know your not keen on. If you scroll down there are also photos of a private Ensign 286 that they fitted out in 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/silverlinemarine/

Regards

Fred

Fred, thanks for that.  I have already been on Silverline's own web site and Facebook page, the layouts all differ so at the moment I think I will assume that the most likely is Barnes' web site which look virtually identical to Broom's Bolero.  Kerry from Barnes has said she will post photographs at a later date.  I also assume that the electrics will be to Barnes' specification since all the others appear to have gas for cooking.

The hull shape and superstructure look to be the same as the Aquafibre Opals and as has been said elsewhere (and what I have found on the web) Siverline, Brooms & E.H.Y are all using the same mould so I guess one of them bought the Aquafibre plugs.  This pleases me since I have always found that the Aquafibre hulls handle better than the Alpha ones in all lengths.

Once the boat goes in the water I will be contacting Barnes about the cooking facilities since it will the electric, something we have never had before so that I have some idea of what to expect in June.

After our trip in June I will post photos, video and do a review of the boat.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Vaughan or particularly Clive will have a good idea of the cost but you'd have to lay up a set of moulds as a plug, then chop it about and make a new set of moulding tools from it before you even got a usable shell out of it. 

Would be well into five figures I would think.

A substantial amount of work for sure. But Barnes has already modified the Diamond moulds in this way. 

I don't wish to de-rail the thread but I have a query.

In my 'Walter Mitty - I won the lottery' musings, I purchase Brinks Emperor. It's 48 foot long and has "Grandfather rights" for it's extra length. Lets say it's registered number is  A001.

If I replace the hull, will it remain as a 48 footer with those grandfather rights? 

If I then replace the superstructure, will it  still remain as a 48 footer with those grandfather rights? 

and if I were to replace both at the same time and put in a new engine and re fit internally... l, will it even then remain as a 48 footer with those grandfather rights? 

ALSO, if it does, What's the longest craft with those rights on the broads  Just wondered :) 

On 1/15/2017 at 10:22 AM, BryanW said:

This pleases me since I have always found that the Aquafibre hulls handle better than the Alpha ones in all lengths.

I hope this is not off the thread but the older Alpha boats are the original tools from the Wilds Caribbean and Bermuda, which were one level and rear engined.

In their present configuration with centre engine etc., the hull is floating bow down compared to what it was designed for. This is why you can't keep them in a straight line!

The Alpha boats have a more pronounced keel, and a hard chine also helps good handling.

We are talking about displacement hulls of course. A boat like Baitrunner, for instance, is a different kettle of fish.  Oops - excuse pun!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonzo said:

Alpha had two 50ft bathtubs, which are for sale for the right price if you can get all of the Jillings to agree to sell it to you :naughty:. They were registered before 1992, so have the grandfather rights.

I know someone who tried to buy one of them for a sensible amount and was turned down.

Ah yes, Brabazon and Mirage.  They'd be fun to turn around at Dilham Staithe. 

I shan't be taking Tobago (44 foot) up there.  Perhaps there should be a new warning for hire boats above a certain length "This boat must be reversed away from Dilham". 

Bringing us back to topic, Brinks Encore fits in to the neat and manageable size of 2 berth. Dilham will be easy and it'll fit in to small gaps at popular moorings. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SwanR said:

I agree about the helmsman(or woman!)'s position. Looks more like it is in Swan Reflection as opposed to Sonnet where you are forward of the opening windows and can't poke your head out to see behind you.

Neither can you stand up if the helm is too far forward.  So far it looks just like the old Opel's (e.g. Gala Girl etc) but with updated electrics (Rolls batteries I see) etc, even the Engine Bay (minus engine) looks identical which probably means that the dip stick will be difficult to reach again unless Nanni have changed the location of it.  Still having hired Gala Girls many times we should be at home (except for the electric cooking).

• Like 1