Used Outboards In Norfolk And Suffolk?

Well the outboard arrived :party: All looks good in the box, can't wait to fit it.

Hopefully there won't be any issues as the courier delivered it with the box upside down and had to bump it down 8 steps, the "this way up" sticker was on the inside of the box so couldn't be seen.

Now just got to flip the controller so it can mount on the port side, buy the throttle cables and add 4 stroke then she's ready to mount.

• Like 1

Engine came dry and I was surprised that it didn't come with a litre of oil for filling up. There were 3 boxes inside. 1 had fuel tank, another had tools, manual, control box, fuel line, the third box was empty so I assume the oil was meant to be in that box.

Out of curiosity would you think it would have the gear lube in the bottom if it came dry?

4 hours ago, brandenjg said:

Engine came dry and I was surprised that it didn't come with a litre of oil for filling up. There were 3 boxes inside. 1 had fuel tank, another had tools, manual, control box, fuel line, the third box was empty so I assume the oil was meant to be in that box.

Out of curiosity would you think it would have the gear lube in the bottom if it came dry?

As the gearbox is a sealed system, it seems logical to have oil in the gearbox, best check the manual. You can always check the gear oil level, just remove the upper level plug, a tiny amount might run out, keep the engine vertical, ie normal position when doing this.

I would recommend only using Honda engine oil, it has the right detergents and additives for the marine environment. I read somewhere that marine oils tend to hang around coating surfaces longer than car engine oils, as it could be months in between startings.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I also have a Dawncraft Dandy and am looking for a new outboard.  My current one is a long shaft, so I am now concerned why you have a short shaft on yours???  Having researched it, I reckon a 9.9 would be sufficient for my needs.  The current one is 5.5 and does OK, but sluggish against the tide.  Would you mind me asking where you got your new engine from.  I have spent hours trawling the internet - can find much in Norfolk.

2 hours ago, Pia said:

I also have a Dawncraft Dandy and am looking for a new outboard.  My current one is a long shaft, so I am now concerned why you have a short shaft on yours???  Having researched it, I reckon a 9.9 would be sufficient for my needs.  The current one is 5.5 and does OK, but sluggish against the tide.  Would you mind me asking where you got your new engine from.  I have spent hours trawling the internet - can find much in Norfolk.

Hi Pia, 9.9 will be perfect. Have you taken a measurement in your engine bay to double check what size shaft you need? I've seen dandys for sale with long shafts and I've run mine with one in the past but it is designed for a short shaft. 

Underneath the boat in the centre is completely flat and with a short shaft the engine sits safely in this area so if you ground the boat the engine won't get damaged. The boat runs alot better with a short shaft.

I got my outboard new from yatchshop but if you want new you can go to any dealer. The reason I ended up getting a new one is the real lack of affordable used short shafts in Norfolk.

P.s I adapted my engine bay for a longshaft in the past as couldn't afford a short shaft. Only took 10minutes to cut and fit. Branden

Hi BrandenJG.  Thanks for all that help.  I am looking at a Mariner 9.9EL at the moment at around £2,000 - Honda is a bit too rich for my blood :38_worried:,  My current (very old) Honda is a long shaft, and sits nicely on the mount, so I am confident that it will be ok, but will re-measure just to be sure!

2 minutes ago, brandenjg said:

Hi Pia, 9.9 will be perfect. Have you taken a measurement in your engine bay to double check what size shaft you need? I've seen dandys for sale with long shafts and I've run mine with one in the past but it is designed for a short shaft. 

Underneath the boat in the centre is completely flat and with a short shaft the engine sits safely in this area so if you ground the boat the engine won't get damaged. The boat runs alot better with a short shaft.

I got my outboard new from yatchshop but if you want new you can go to any dealer. The reason I ended up getting a new one is the real lack of affordable used short shafts in Norfolk.

P.s I adapted my engine bay for a longshaft in the past as couldn't afford a short shaft. Only took 10minutes to cut and fit. Branden

Just now, brandenjg said:

If you follow the link and scroll down to the photos you can see the difference as to where the outboard sits before and after I adapted the engine bay.

Hi.  I cant see the link.  Could you resend please.  Thanks

18 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Interesting stuff Branden. You"ve not said yet how you are getting on with your shiney new engine!

My apologies. 

Having the electric start has been an absolute godsend, no more bruised elbows when pullstarting although it does pull extremely easily if needed.

The outboard sits quite far back in the engine bay so I had to cut off some more fibreglass at the back so that it would fit. I have a fingers width of space between the outboard and the back of the engine bay.

As far as engine with boat, the steering is greatly improved. The boat seems to love the outboard.

The pee pipe unfortunately sprays into the engine bay when turning and some water goes into the gas locker which I'll have to address at some point.

Otherwise I've been getting loads of use out of it so far so money well invested.

Plus the wife now trusts the boat again so she's been coming out on it with the kids which has been amazing.

Branden

• Like 7

The problem with second hand outboards is the cost of servicing them. I have a four stroke outboard. I have serviced the outboard from new so I know what condition it is in. Checking and adjusting the valve clearances, checking the age of the plugs and cleaning them, changing the engine oil, checking and changing the gearbox oil, checking that the water jacket is not clogged with lime scale, checking the water pump impeller for wear and it goes on and on.

I spend around four hours at least servicing my engine every year. That is mega bucks if the work is done by a proper mechanic and done properly.

Many outboards are not serviced due to costs so do beware when buying second hand, you may be buying a load of trouble. Make sure you have genuine service bills. Do not forget that there is an horrendous build up of lime scale in the water jacket due to the engine using raw water for cooling. Make sure you see genuine bills for lime scale removal and that means taking the head of the engine which is an expensive job. 

If you by second hand, buy it cheap if there are no bills to prove servicing or buy new.  

• Like 1

Regularly running the engine in a tank of descalling chemical will remove the need for a strip down to check / clean the waterways. Cheap as chips at a workshop - far more troubling at home as you will need a tank. Not always possible if engines aren't removed from boats of course. 

However, the point made by Thingy is sound. Outboards bought second hand need to be fully trusted. 

I am looking at buying a 2nd hand small outboard as a back up on my 20ft Shetland and toyed with the idea of buying a new electric outboard with a 50lb thrust just to get to a mooring so can sort problem. Anyone got one on a boat this size.

• 4 weeks later...

I had one on my first boat which I think was 18` I used an electric OB as you described, it was ok an still windless days but lacked any real power, I certainly wouldn't use it as a back up. I had it for moving around when fly fishing for which it was great, I got about 40 mins from a 85 AH battery. I think you may be asking too much as a back up motor though.

S.

Misty.bmp

For descaling when I had an outboard powered boat I fitted a 9.9 mariner and anytime I was checking the impellor while the lower unit was off I'd push a rubber pipe over the water pipe in the leg and sit a bucket underneath with descaler in and use an old 12v inline pump to pump water round, ok the thermostat wouldn't open but it got the worst out, if I felt it needed it it was easy enough to pop the stat out.

The best bit was leaving the pump running while I went to the pub, got to give these things time to work...cheersbar