New Horizons at the B.B.C.

• 2 weeks later...

We went passed there today, and all of the Horizoncraft ones are cleared out. But a few of the Richardson's boats from Stalham are their, including San Carlos, San Michelle, and what looks to be Oyster Gem. Prisma Horizon is also still there. San Michelle is in the brochure, but dissapered off the website a few weeks ago, so maybe they are going to hire it from Acle.

• Like 2

San Michelle is shown on the website as "Unit no longer  available"  San Carlos however  is still available via the website but not  until mid July 2017 and then from Stalham, so it maybe that the former  has been sold, whilst the latter is  doing its winter & spring at Acle. Prisma incidentally is also shown as "Unit no longer available"   

Hi Mark.  There is more than one San Carlos so I suspect the boat at Acle has been sold but Richardsons are retaining the remainder.   It's unlikely Richardsons would leave it there otherwise. 

I believe it was always the plan to sell Prisma which couldn't transfer to Stalham because it doesn't pass under Ludham Bridge. 

Thanks Howard. So Prisma Horizon plus a little collection of Stalham boats then.  Hopefully all have been sold to the new owners who at some point after Christmas will return and get on with the business of preparing the boats for next season.  I guess as they've bought Richardsons boats in hire until October 2016 there won't be a huge amount of work to do. I'm still hoping it works out.  After four happy holidays from Horizon I don't want the basin and moorings still to have a winter look when I next visit in May. 

• Like 5

Hi all,

on one of the other Broads user groups on faceache, there`s a post by the new owners or occupiers of the former Horizon fleet yard at Acle.  They are bringing two of the old NBD boats and starting up a new but so far, small hirefleet called "The Broads Boat Company", and are looking to be up and running in the spring. They have reported they will have several private moorings at the end of their stretch of the riverbank, as well as visitor moorings with 240v hook up available.  They also report they will be opening a "clubhouse / restaurant" which will be very handy indeed. 

This really is great news in these times of closing fleets and businesses, and i hope we can all make use of this much needed yard and the facilities they will be offering.

• Like 3

I`ve just posted a thread on this on the Broads business section. I did`nt realise this thread was already underway, so would one of the mods please remove it,as it`s pointless having two threads the same.  Certainly good to hear this new venture is underway.  They`ve also posted pics of the boats en-route to Acle, minus all the NBD clourful scheme.

• 4 weeks later...

There's another update with photos on the Broads Boating Company Facebook page.  From the comments,  boats will be ready in February and restaurant opening March-April.  Boats are going to receive a common livery.  Visitor moorings will cost £5 per night,  redeemable at the restaurant. 

So its all really happening which is great news. 

The photos show boats out of the water next to the basin (Richardsons had their nice warm Stalham shed of course).  Can winter maintenance be undertaken effectively outdoors? 

• Like 2

Evening All.

I have first hand news on this venture and do I hope I'm not letting too much out of the bag.

Whilst at Acle Bridge Inn last Sunday night, I was introduced to a young man by the name of Ryan.  We sat together and had a chat over a pint as you do.    Ryan is the new owner / proprietor of the 'B.B.C' or Broads Boating Company.  The BBC plan to have nine craft ready for hire this season.  They also plan to have 'some' craft available to hire right through the winter too, to trusted regular customers.  Ryan has secured the service of some of the previous yard staff that were formerly part of Horizon craft.  He has also secured some bookings from previous Horizon craft loyal customers.   Yes there is to be a bar and restaurant on site.  Ryan is hands on and has his sleeves rolled up directing / assisting the workforce on site.  He is not planning any new builds or fitting out brand new craft but preferring to upgrade and refit existing hire craft as and when they become available, this they are are on with and putting their own livery on the craft they presently have.  Just how far he plans to go with the venture and how big he and the rest of us will just have to wait and see.

I don't know how old Ryan is but he seems pretty young to me, but then nowadays most folk seem to be getting younger and younger in my eyes.  I asked him 'Why'? set out on this venture, he explained that ever since his mum and dad had brought him on the Broads as a young lad it had been a dream of his to own his own hireboat yard, can't think of a better reason than that to be honest.  I also did a bit of straight talking and asked him could he really finance it?  No problem there either as he has other business ventures further north (Lake district) that are successful and will assist in getting his dream up and running.  Are you really travelling down from the Lake district weekly to Acle? I asked, no - he has a boat at Oulton / Lowestoft that he is staying on for now,   Why not bring it to Acle then?  I asked, free moorings right in your own yard - Coz it won't fit under the bridges at GYA even at low tide was the reply.

Anyroadup I have exchanged details with Ryan, I have explained to him about the NBN and advised him that by joining the NBN as a member would instantly open him up to potential customers and give the membership an insight into running a Hire fleet which we would all find interesting to say the least.  This has not happened yet because to be honest I have been that busy since getting home on Monday night I have yet to e-mail him which I hope to do so this evening.  And I have to send him some details too.  I offered him my best wishes with the BBC, offered him any help that he may need from me, and the NBN (Hope that was ok?) and a particular forumite that will be of assistance to him should he wish to go down that 'River'

There is other details / news but that will be for Ryan to disclose as and when he sees fit.

Hope this helps,

Griff

• Like 17

Hi all,

reading a post on this new companies faceache page, they had planned to install 10 glamping pods, and keep the moorings open for visiting craft, but our wonderful BA put a blanket bann on them doing so. It really does make me question what the BA's ultimate goal is if they're doing things like this?. Me thinks the BA must obviously have a hidden agenda?. I wonder if the RSPB wanted to open 10, or even 20 bird hides along this stretch of moorings, I bet the BA would even offer to pay for them out of our tolls?. What do others think?.

• Like 1

Maybe, seeings as the boats have come from yards with a new build programme, these are now surplus boats rather than bad boats. They are all pretty run of the mill, maybe running more basic but tried and well tested systems.

Well proven designs and, though I do say so myself, not a bad starting point for a fledgling company.

B.A.'s planning dept do need to take a long serious look at themselves though. If the answer is always no why do we need a planning dept at all? We already know the answer!!

And maybe someone could explain to me the difference between caravans on Hippersons boatyard in Beccles and camping pods on Horizon at Acle? I would be arguing that a precident has been set? 

• Like 4