Moonfleet To Close Very Sad New ....

CheshireCat

Hello all I have some very very sad news at the end of the season Moonfleet will be no more , I really can't believe it what a loss to the Norfolk Broads . As you all know we have had quite a lot of work done on The Corsican there and I really can not fault the service we have received from all the staff at Moonfleet what a great bunch , and I for one will miss all of you very much . I just can't speak any higher the work is always fantastic , they are so accommodating bend over backwards to help you , in fact it is like a family I think of them as my friends , good luck guys hope you all sorted out real shame !!! ....

• Like 1

How sad ,   I am concerned about the staff,    I cannot recall the name of the chap who used to see us each time.  Isnt that awful.    Phil was always good to us,  we just used to love his bills,   they were never what he quoted but you knew you were in for more rather than less but the quality was second to none.     Such a shame.   

• Like 4

Yes I could not agree more , now I mean this in a nice was , the staff there have been there a lot of years there no spring chickens , it's like a family run yard it's not easy for older people to re settle some of them are very late fifties , what ever are Richardson's up to as I said it is just very sad ....

• Like 2

A picturesque boat yard at one time offered house boats for hire, Accommodation in two riverside properties, a hire fleet and of course a boat repair and maintenance facility. Stalham Yacht Services seemed to be doing all the right things. They diversified which seems to be a key factor these days and I think provided a comfortable living for the owner in those days. Although it had to be said that they "lived over the shop" It meant long hours and a dedicated service to their customers.

It was to be run by Moonfleet a boat yard from Belaugh. by two families. Originally coach operators I believe. They had a knowledge of the demanding holiday industry, and were ideally suited for what was considered as a sensible move from the limited facilities of the upper Bure.

As expected they brought with them their superb reputation as hire boat operators.

They reduced the hire fleet. They became one of the boat yards of excellence with regard to their professional abilities with regard to refurbishment, general repairs.

Richardson's came involved. 

With that involvement one would have expected growth, expansion with regard to the profit stream of the company.

But it was not to be.

I am not a bean counter by any stretch of imagination. But what is it that was profitable ten years or fifteen years ago was viable. But has now been designated history as has so many of the Norfolk and Suffolk boat yards.

To the dismay of us all.

Andrew

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

it's not easy for older people to re settle some of them are very late fifties , 

Oh dear Mr Cat, you have really cheered me up now :facepalm:

seriously though it's really sad to see them go. I've never had any dealings with them personally other than stopping for water and possibly a pump out but they were always really friendly and welcoming 

• Like 4

Ah, this is a real shame.

It's clear they hold/held a totally enviable reputation for quality & service so it is a suprise & catches people off guard I guess.

There could be so many reasons.... it's unlikely Richardsons have just had a rush of blood to the head so no doubt the truth will out shortly.  I would be very disappointed (and a bit suprised) if it were just down to profit & balance sheets (though Accountants have been known, over a five to ten year period to ruin many a great organisation through destroying creativity, stripping staff and assets for short term gain so I guess this too isn't technically impossible, but hey, dont start me on that one ;) )

There could be quite understandable operational issues (retirement, land ownership/landlord complications for example) or many other plausible though still disappointing reasons.

I wonder if the houseboats will move to Richardsons Stalham?

Dan

• Like 5

Unfortunately, I was involved in sell-outs, takeovers and mergers most of my working life. 

What is the first announcement? " Nothing will change. You, the staff, are our greatest asset" 

BO☆☆0$KS.

There was a rumour that Moonfleet only sold to Richardsons because they could not afford to exercise their option on the yard from the owners, they ( Richardsons) of course could. 

Let us hope that the other yards above Irstead don't decide to cash in! God forbid.

• Like 2

http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/marinas/moonfleet-marine/

It would seem that Moonfleet has already been swallowed up by Richardsons and, here I'm guessing, all that will be happening at the end of the year is that the name will disappear. An inevitable outcome and I can't blame Richardsons for that.

• Like 1

This is really sad, another yard closing.............. but is it?. It might be being sold off, so was Ludham bridge boatyard, and they are carrying on producing excellent quality workmanship. So why does everybody think it`s bad that Richardsons are selling the yard?. Look at Horizons yard, that  will hopefully soon be another NEW venture keeping an excellent yard base going, there`s no real reason to think this is the end, well not just yet anyway.  What WOULD be extremely sad is for this yard to close, and the site be redeveloped into luxury housing with private moorings.

• Like 5

Guys as always can we please consider the staff and customers in this. Phil and staff at moonfleet (and Richardsons) were amazing with fixing Orca, I felt in real safe hands. I understood that Clive and co brought Moonfleet because they have very high standards and thus ideal for private work (And they brought them years ago) of which they have been doing for some time. I am very surprised to learn that they would close the doors and I certainly am sure any staff there would quickly find work elsewhere or within the Richardson group.  If Phil has decided to take early retirement then I personally wish him all the very very best and hope he enjoys his well earned retirement. 

• Like 12

While on Lightning last November, i got talking to somebody, no names no info,  who told me something which might have a baring on this, and the closure of the Acle site.  I won`t say or hint at what it was, but if what i was told comes out in public, i will say what i was told.  As for the guys in the yard, hopefully, they may be able to take over the yard operation, and keep on producing their usual very high standard workmanship.

As far as I know it's not being sold off! they are just moving the workshop side to Horning, my guess is the Moonfleet Marina will just become part of the main Richardson Marina opposite, and as there will be staff there the pump out and diesel point will stay along with the houseboats,

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mowjo said:

As far as I know it's not being sold off! they are just moving the workshop side to Horning, my guess is the Moonfleet Marina will just become part of the main Richardson Marina opposite, and as there will be staff there the pump out and diesel point will stay along with the houseboats,

That will be good if it is.       So hopefully staff will be moved to Horning.

The land does not belong to Richardsons but is leased. It is my understanding that when they took over Moonfleet part of the deal was that they would buy the land at a set date. That date I think has arrived and the option  to purchase has not been taken up. I assume  then  it will either be sold or released.Either way very sad news. The staff will still have jobs elsewhere apart from the admin and the cleaners, It is very early days so hopefully a good outcome will be  achieved and the yard in some form will remain . Hope so.

• Like 5

On 2/4/2017 at 8:02 AM, Hylander said:

Can we assume that the pump out facility, fuel and water will remain open to the public.   

Speedtriple , you tease,  now you have got us all thinking allsorts.       I just hope what you were told is not a negative but a positive thing.

Sorry Monica, not trying to be a tease, just won`t say anything contentious, which not only may NOT be true but could also bring the forum into disrepute, and risking legal action. What i was told was only hearsay, but hearsay has to have roots somewhere, so i`m not to keen to believe it, but i won`t dismiss it untill i hear firm evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1