Hearts Cruisers/yachts?

Gallipoli

Hi all,

This just came to me, my grandad told me a long time ago, that his first expirience of the broads was on Queen of Hearts I think it was a yacht, not too sure. The years he would have been on it would have been the latter end of the 40's through to the 50's/60's, unfortunatly he died four years ago and I don't remeber much of what he told me about it.

Any help in this would be greatly appriceated, 

Thanks Gallipoli (James)

I shall have to get some more photos out of the loft! If this goes on I shall have to install a stair lift!

The Queen of Hearts was a motor cruiser, one of three (the Knave, the Queen and the Ten) which were built during 1949 and 1950, and were fairly similar, 6 berth, centre cockpit boats.

The Hart family had quite a few yachts before the War but these did not survive, at least not on hire.

In about 1951 (I shall have to look it up) they bought a Yacht called Jane, built I believe, in Wroxham, which was named the Three of Hearts. She was sold in the mid 60s and is still going strong, as a member of the River Cruiser Class, called Tea Rose.

In the late 50's they bought a second yacht, named Four of Hearts, which was also sold in the 60s, and became a River Cruiser, named Patience. I don't know if she is still going.

If this rings a bell, and I can find some photos, please let me know!

• Like 6

I think it's about time Vaughan wrote a book... website at the very least! 

You have to keep these old 'uns occupied or they have a tendency to get into trouble... or politics... same thing really.

But seriously Vaughan WRITE THAT BOOK! 

• Like 4

Here is the Queen of Hearts, moored at the Pleasure Boat, on 26th May, 1953. Photo taken by her hirers, at the time.

Rather nice Jack Powles cruiser moored behind!

Notice that the Hearts design of sliding canopy allowed you to have the canopy up, for shade, whilst leaving the windscreen down.

58aef82706e01_QueenofHeartsHickling.thumb.jpeg.ee373f05b44d18bd6570cf523191f813.jpeg

58aef8473163b_QueenofHearatsatStOlaves.thumb.jpeg.8109dbe71a82ff3e0b80d9f4200a4094.jpeg

Photo taken at St Olaves, by the same hirers.

My memory seems to suggest that the launch is Blakes towboat from YYS, which could be hired by customers, for towing yachts with no engine, between Acle, St Olaves or Reedham. Maybe Peter remembers?

58aef85d44097_KnaveofHearts.thumb.jpeg.d470e51c800d865f09d5f8feefc46f80.jpeg

The Knave of Hearts, close sister of the Queen, at Thorpe Green in 1949.

Do these photos ring a bell, with Gallipoli?

• Like 6

As to the Four of Hearts, can't find any photos, though I know I have some somewhere!

A few photos from brochures, though -

58aefc9e476e9_4ofHearts1964.jpeg.dc838593eafdfa8ef278e00bc692a380.jpeg

This was 1964, and the camera never lies! You see a boat sailing in the river in Thorpe, between the bridges, and about 30 yards from the overhead power lines! In fact she was firmly attached to the bank by a stern line, and the sails were hoisted for the photo!

58aefcb295786_4ofHearts19681.jpeg.8f387a21b538434b020d41a4ac4bb723.jpeg

Here again in 1968, just before Jenners was sold to the Caister Group.

58aefcd1642e0_4ofHeartsSoutherlyBreeze.jpeg.700800b23caccebb3d9294b9298ee406.jpeg

Now, in 1970, she is on hire from Southgates, which was also part of the Caister Group. This explains a lot to me, as I don't remember the two yachts from Hearts being around, after the early days of Jenners.

I have always thought she was one of the Brigand class, from the Norfolk Broads Yachting Co in Wroxham. I am also not sure, now, whether she was called Patience before she was bought by Hearts, or after. Maybe we should be looking for Southerly Breeze instead? The Broads number would help, but I am afraid I have no record of it.

• Like 2

Hi Vaughn,

I reckon it is the Queen although we don't have any photos, it would also explain why he preferd center cockpits, (as do I) and also why the first boat he took me on was Rexmoore (I belive it's the one that Pacific have). I do however, remeber him saying that he went back with a friend on three and the weather was horrid (methinks this is why he didn't like yachts :) ), i do wonder though where was the yard and did it have anything to do with Moores/Brinkcraft?

Thanks, 

Gallipoli (James)

Sorry, we didn't answer your question - I can remember Moores yard in Wroxham (Hoveton) at the top end of Daisy Broad, just up from Landamores but it is not there any more, owing to all the development over the years. Moores hire fleet (and Landamores) was bought by Jenners in 1966.

Boatyards have changed hands so often in Wroxham that I honestly can't remember who bought who, when, or in what order!

On 2/23/2017 at 3:11 PM, Vaughan said:

My memory seems to suggest that the launch is Blakes towboat from YYS, which could be hired by customers, for towing yachts with no engine, between Acle, St Olaves or Reedham. Maybe Peter remembers?

I remember Blakes workboat well enough, didn't know that she could be hired though. An idea for the Spirit of Breydon perhaps?

• Like 1

Rather than towing with a launch, we sailed Evening Flight from Wroxham to Oulton for the regatta one year, and took the Blakes towboat from Acle to Somerleyton. Very convenient, with the mast down all the way.

Maybe it was easier for my father to "hire" the towboat, as he was the chairman of Blakes at the time??  :angel:

Hi Vaughan,

What you said about Moores has me wondering whether it was Moores or Jenners that was bought by Barnes Brinkcraft, in around 2007/8 and I can't remember picking up the Moores boats from the Hoveton side I always seem to remember picking them up opposite Brinkcraft, then again I was only about 7 when we last hired from Moores, so my memory is iffy (though I can remember swimming in the pool Moores had) as to which side of the bridge it was, Wroxham or Hoveton. Either way I find it confusing looking at who bought who and I'm still quite young.

I think there is a big difference here, between the old hire fleets, and the land that their yards occupied.

Barnes certainly didn't buy Jenners (I am sure they would not have wanted to, in those days!) although I think I am right in saying that the land now occupied by Barnes BC includes what used to be the site of Moores yard.

I think I remember that, later on, there were boats hired under the Moores brand, such as Rexmore, that were owned and operated by Jack Powles, on the other side of the river.

I stand to be corrected, on all this!

• Like 1

Hi Vaughan,

If what you are saying is correct, (I have no reason to doubt) that brings another question up as to whether when Barnes BC bought Moores were they still part of Powels, or had Powels gone by that point?

I do however remember my grandparents saying that the reason Moores was sold was due to a family member not wanting to take it on (I can't cross reference this) but if they were owned by Poewels that kinda blows tinfo out of the water.

I have already said that yards in Wroxham changed hands far too often for me to keep pace with.

I went to school with David Moore, and his parents were facing the same catastrophic recession in those days, that mine were. Hence they decided to get out of boat hiring and do other things.

At more or less the same time, Jack Powles (who also sold a lot of boats to Jenners) was bought by Leslie Trafford, whose son-in-law, John Williams, set about modernising the yard and its fleet. Also embracing the construction of new GRP boats, which is where the famous prototype, Broad Ambition, comes from.

It is true that the original Jack Powles Yard, on the bend, owned land on both sides, but that was a long time ago! Meantime you had Windboats and Dawncraft - who also sold their fleets to Jenners - J.Loynes (now NBD), Broads Tours, Porter and Haylett, Brinkcraft, Barnes, Faircraft, Earnest Collins, Landamores, Royalls, Norfolk Broads Yachting Co., Geo. Smith and Sons. . . . who have I forgotten?

They all held important sites in the centre of Wroxham and have been dividing it up among themselves ever since! I am afraid the jigsaw has become too complicated for me, in my memory, to put together!

• Like 1