Hearts Cruisers/yachts?

Gallipoli

This should really be written down in a book of some sort, is there a book on the hire yards of wroxham? It would be a limited market but it'd be interesting to read, and more up to date than the book I have ha, which is from around 1882 by a person with the name HG Davis, (I stumbled across this in Bolton Abbey book shop tad far from the Broads)

3 hours ago, Gallipoli said:

Hi Vaughan,

What you said about Moores has me wondering whether it was Moores or Jenners that was bought by Barnes Brinkcraft, in around 2007/8 and I can't remember picking up the Moores boats from the Hoveton side I always seem to remember picking them up opposite Brinkcraft, then again I was only about 7 when we last hired from Moores, so my memory is iffy (though I can remember swimming in the pool Moores had) as to which side of the bridge it was, Wroxham or Hoveton. Either way I find it confusing looking at who bought who and I'm still quite young.

James,

In August 1982 we moored Brooms Admiral 7 next to one of Lloynes riverside boatsheds and two of our children walked round to Moores to use the swimming pool. This was definitely on the Wroxham side of the river.

Roy

Vaughan and JM are the forum's living repositories of Broadland history and are regularly chastised for not putting pen to paper and writing this all down for posterity. They really should be preserved you know...I did write to Yare House about the subject and the powers that be were all in favor of preservation. Well...I think that's what they meant...sort of...by 'stuffed and mounted'. :naughty:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Timbo said:

Vaughan and JM are the forum's living repositories of Broadland history and are regularly chastised for not putting pen to paper and writing this all down for posterity. They really should be preserved you know...I did write to Yare House about the subject and the powers that be were all in favor of preservation. Well...I think that's what they meant...sort of...by 'stuffed and mounted'. :naughty:

Carol at Broadland memories deserves mentioning, a darn sight more than I do!

Re that tasty Powell's cruiser, they certainly got the design right back then. Just needs a blue bow fender to bring it into the 21st century! Pity I can't read the registration number.

BA.jpg

Just now, Broads01 said:

also remember Sabena Marine and Brister Craft who haven't been mentioned yet.

I deliberately didn't mention Pete Sabberton's yard as that has been on the same site, independent, for 3 generations now. Brister Craft, not sure.

Again, there is confusion with take-overs, etc. I think you will find that the Traffords had two different sites on the old Powles Yard on the Wroxham side, and one of these, they called Moores, with a hire fleet let out under the Moores name. I also think this is the part which was recently bought by Barnes BC, to expand their existing operation on the Hoveton side. We are not talking here, about R.Moore and Sons, which was up Daisy Broad in the 50s.

Again, I stand to be corrected on all this!

In fact I think I had better go back to the south rivers, where I belong! Fish2

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

BA.jpg

Now here's a funny one, isn't it??

A boat fitted out on a Bourne hull, for which Broad Ambition, a Jack Powles boat, was the "plug", wearing a Herbert Woods star, but an Ernest Collins pennant?

Without all that, I would have said that boat was fitted out by Collins, although I know Woods did some themselves.

Might be worth getting a better resolution on that Broads number!

This might be in the days when Ladbrokes had bought up the whole bloody lot!

• Like 3

We hired from Powles throught the late sixties and into the seventies and at that Time as Buffalo Bill states they had yards on both sides of the river.

Where the houses are now on the Wroxham side they used Primarly for Building and repair and where Barnes are now was the original Powles Hire fleet yard later they also used the Collins old yard on the Wroxham side when owned by Pennant

Ray

• Like 1

On the right of the photo, where there are now houses overlooking the marina, it would be later that the Sheerline motor cruisers were being built by Duncan who went on to start George Smiths which is now Richardsons since Duncan's death a couple or so years ago, when he sold The Sheerline brand to Peter Applegate(who renamed it Wroxham Marine and moved it to Thorpe). I can't remember the date at this time but feel it was around 1990/1991 as our last boat, a Sheerline Centre Cockpit named 'Sapphire' was the last boat built there by Duncan and Gary Applegate.

Edited to add that JPC also worked from there before moving to Brundall.

If it`s of any interest, we hired from Moores in 97 from the marina where the pool is, now "the Shed?", and John and Lynda from Maffett Cruisers always referred to them as "Traffords", rather than Moores.  Also, in about 79 or 80, i walked around the the yards on the Wroxham side, and Jack Powells definitely had a large shed where the marina and houses are on the bend, they were at the time building a 70 footer for an Arab, or something like that. I can also remember walking past Windboats in the same area.  As for Bristers, i don`t know why, but something tells me their yard was once the yard of the old Dawncraft fleet, because Bristers originaly started out in Brundall very close to the yard of Bounty boats.  Another small fleet that springs to mind is Fineway cruisers who were on the Hoveton side.  I think they were based roughly where Landamores now build some of the Oyster range.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Rather than towing with a launch, we sailed Evening Flight from Wroxham to Oulton for the regatta one year, and took the Blakes towboat from Acle to Somerleyton. Very convenient, with the mast down all the way.

Maybe it was easier for my father to "hire" the towboat, as he was the chairman of Blakes at the time??  :angel:

I think that tow boat ended up with Peter Cooper at Broadway Cruisers where it continued to do sterling service.JM may well remember it also

6 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

I think that tow boat ended up with Peter Cooper at Broadway Cruisers where it continued to do sterling service.JM may well remember it also

I do, but I didn't know its history. Don't know that Peter kept it for too long though, it took up a lot of room. I certainly don't know what happened to it. There used to be a network of yard workboats across the Broads, Brooms being a cracker. A pity that that fleet has gone but I suppose with accountants breathing down their necks the yards had no other realistic choice.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I forgot to add, i think the boat in the pic might be built on the Bourne 35 hull, whereas BA was the plug for the Powells 40.

I have looked this up in Blakes brochure for 1976 (the date of the photo) but can't find her. Nor in slightly later ones. If she was a Collins, as I suspect, I think they were being run by Pennant in those days. Didn't they used to have their own brochure?

Judging by the round of the bow and the number of windows in the side, I still reckon she is one of B.A.s puppies. Still, I was more interested in the provenance, not the length!

I have only just caught up with this thread.

|Ralph Moore & son originally was on Marsh road Wroxham as Vaughn said just down from Landamores. This was bought by Len Funnel who was operating trail marine from a grass bank in the vicinity. Leslie Trafford who previously had owned Lenwade concrete had bought Jack Powlells  and built the Hotel Wroxham and the shopping precinct.. So Trafford now owned both sides of the river from the bridge down to the Barnes corner apart from a few small bits here and there, except for Loynes which he really coveted. Now Mrs Adams (so the story goes) had stated that if he was the last man on earth she would not sell to that man.

Enter Len Funnell he bought Loynes and promptly sold the building sheds to Trafford and kept the rest and developed Loynes into what we now know as NBD, Len also bought Broads tours and moved them through the bridge to Loynes basin. Trafford now was able  to develope Peninsular cottages.

The Barnes Brinkcraft saga is a little less clear for me, quite how they acquired their site and when other than W.K.Barnes and Brinkcraft were bought and also G. Press & Co. which was behind Brinkcraft, but which order and when the Thwaites family got involved I am not sure, but I believe he was in at the beginning of this mini empire.   

Hope this helps not much help with dates but from late sixties on. I cannot remember Leslie Traffords name before he changed it to Trafford but was was definitely of Eastern European Jewish extrction.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

If it`s of any interest, we hired from Moores in 97 from the marina where the pool is, now "the Shed?", and John and Lynda from Maffett Cruisers always referred to them as "Traffords", rather than Moores.  Also, in about 79 or 80, i walked around the the yards on the Wroxham side, and Jack Powells definitely had a large shed where the marina and houses are on the bend, they were at the time building a 70 footer for an Arab, or something like that. I can also remember walking past Windboats in the same area.  As for Bristers, i don`t know why, but something tells me their yard was once the yard of the old Dawncraft fleet, because Bristers originaly started out in Brundall very close to the yard of Bounty boats.  Another small fleet that springs to mind is Fineway cruisers who were on the Hoveton side.  I think they were based roughly where Landamores now build some of the Oyster range.  

Neil,

We hired from Bristers in the 90s and their yard was directly opposite Sabena's.

Roy

5 hours ago, webntweb said:

Neil,

We hired from Bristers in the 90s and their yard was directly opposite Sabena's.

Roy

Hi Roy, sorry, i i don`t think i made myself clear. Yes, you are right, Bristers were directly opposite Sabinas from some time in the early 80s, till the day they ceased hiring, in fact i remember mooring in there on Aston Sapphire in October 96, and John Brister came aboard to check out our batteries, as the central heating would`nt fire up properly. But i can garruntee they were in Brundall near Buccaneer boats and Bounty boats, as i saw them in October 77, when we hired Gold Pieces.

• 1 month later...

wroxham_old_picture_arial_CATHCART3596_1.thumb.jpg.17bc78506d0e952cf845b5923b427e81.jpg

I have been sent this, to see if I can put a date to it, and have permission to post it on the forum. In the version I was sent, you are able to enlarge it, so I hope you can also.

On Daisy Broad, from the right, you can see the two bungalows and two sheds which are still Sabbertons yard today. Then comes Landamores and then Moores, where you can read "Moore & Son" on the front of the sheds. Jeckells buildings look the same and you can see Jeckells garage at the top of Marsh Rd, which is now Norfolk Marine. Jack Powles on the Hoveton side includes the long shed which contained a marine railway with a yacht cradle. You can also see C.G.Press on the front of some sheds on the Wroxham side.

On the front of the parish staithe by the bridge, the site of the Hotel Wroxham, are 4 sheds with Jack Powles written on them, whereas there are only two in Timbo's photo of 1928.

A Loynes cruiser moored at the left looks like one of their Loch Earn class and another outside Windboats sheds at bottom left looks very much like a Tradewind, which were built of Seacrete. This would point us towards the early sixties, and yet there is no housing development to the north of the Horning road.

I seem to remember the footbridge beside Wroxham bridge, being built out of Royal Engineers "Bailey" bridge, sometime in the fifties, and yet that big black shed beside the bridge is still there. It used to be a steam flour mill, but I can't remember if it was still there in the fifties.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 1