1957 Norfolk Broads Scrapbook

AdnamsGirl

I guess these days many people use the likes of Facebook and Instagram as digital scrapbooks to chronicle their holidays and lives, but back in the day things were rather more analogue! I've made a few interesting purchases for the website over the last couple of months, but thought I'd share this on here as it is just so lovely.

This is a scrapbook compiled by the Andrew's Family from Croydon of their two week holiday afloat on the Broads. It is beautifully put together with so much information and includes their own photographs, postcards, clippings from the Blake's brochure of that year and other tourist publications, maps, correspondence from boatyards, mooring receipts etc. etc.. It's a fabulous snapshot in time and a wonderful piece of Broads history. They even met up with Kenneth Horne who was broadcasting an episode of a  TV programme called "Ship's Company" from The Broads aboard the S.S. South Town, one of the Yarmouth passenger steamers. It's a little too large to fit on my scanner, so I am going to have to try to photograph this and will then turn the whole thing into a PDF document for Broadland Memories.  There are 38 pages in all, this is just a small sample.

scrapbook_01.jpg.6ae956c2d5eb79041a7a5ee0326cf5e5.jpg

scrapbook_02.jpg.978d6d0998cbe521fb71527b6319eb4e.jpg

scrapbook_03.jpg.8ba396875d5060347d875a84b1bd3c23.jpg

scrapbook_04.jpg.0ba27188550c4032fadbe1e7921626b7.jpg

It really never ceases to amaze me what turns up out there :-)

Carol

• Like 9