Hello To All

Just a quick one from me to say hi. I have enjoyed reading the forums recently and decided it's about time I actually signed up. 

The family and I have been enjoying the broads for years now and are returning again in August (sooo far away :44_frowning2:).

Looking forward to getting to know you all and having some interesting discussions about the beautiful broads and boaty stuff in general.

cheerscheersbar

Thanks Alan and Charlie

I hope so, I keep trying to convince the Mrs to fit another break in before August, but that most annoying thing commonly known as work keeps getting in the way :40_rage:

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately no I don't own a boat, I would love to but finances won't allow I'm afraid. I have looked into a syndicate ownership which is interesting but with us both working shifts and 2 kids at school the allocated week's would undoubtedly be when we cannot make it.

I think one of them was for Lightening which looked great from what I saw posted online. Ownership is definitely something we would love in the future though.

We used to visit the norfolk broads as kids ourselves and returned a few years back on holiday on Westminster Bridge from Bridgecraft and fell in love again. We return every year now without fail travelling both northern and southern broads.

Welcome along Jayfire.

It definitely does seem that the Broads attracts people back year after year once the boating bug has got you. We've been hiring two or three times a year recently and seriously considered boat ownership ourselves. But given that we know nothing about maintaining a boat we decided it might prove too expensive. So we opted for a caravan not too far away so that we can at least get up to Norfolk more often. However ... I know it's not going to feel quite the same to arrive somewhere by car rather than by boat!

16 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately no I don't own a boat, I would love to but finances won't allow I'm afraid. I have looked into a syndicate ownership which is interesting but with us both working shifts and 2 kids at school the allocated week's would undoubtedly be when we cannot make it.

I think one of them was for Lightening which looked great from what I saw posted online. Ownership is definitely something we would love in the future though.

We used to visit the norfolk broads as kids ourselves and returned a few years back on holiday on Westminster Bridge from Bridgecraft and fell in love again. We return every year now without fail travelling both northern and southern broads.

Hello Jayfire,

Have another look at syndicate ownership on the Broads, there are around ten boats that can be bought into.

Some do have fixed weeks, others you draw your allocations out the hat, most offer swapping weeks with other owners or renting their weeks if they can not use their allocations.I

There are a few weeks for sale on some of the syndicate boats, we have two standard shares for sale but at the moment no school weeks shares, we also have one of our owners who is waiting for a school share.

The syndicate route is not for everyone, but we feel for us it has been the route of endless Broads holidays since 2001.

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Welcome along Jayfire.

It definitely does seem that the Broads attracts people back year after year once the boating bug has got you. We've been hiring two or three times a year recently and seriously considered boat ownership ourselves. But given that we know nothing about maintaining a boat we decided it might prove too expensive. So we opted for a caravan not too far away so that we can at least get up to Norfolk more often. However ... I know it's not going to feel quite the same to arrive somewhere by car rather than by boat!

It's just such a beautiful and relaxing way to get around and enjoy a holiday, a completely different atmosphere to the usual hustle and bustle of normal life.

Yes we try to get at least twice a year too, I would love our own boat but like you I know very little about the maintenance side, although I am a pretty quick learner and fairly handy at general tasks, but it's also the time problem too.

30 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Jayfire,

Have another look at syndicate ownership on the Broads, there are around ten boats that can be bought into.

Some do have fixed weeks, others you draw your allocations out the hat, most offer swapping weeks with other owners or renting their weeks if they can not use their allocations.I

There are a few weeks for sale on some of the syndicate boats, we have two standard shares for sale but at the moment no school weeks shares, we also have one of our owners who is waiting for a school share.

The syndicate route is not for everyone, but we feel for us it has been the route of endless Broads holidays since 2001.

Regards

Alan

In truth Alan I am constantly looking at boats and syndicates to the extent I might even be boring the wife so much she is losing interest in them :shocked

Are you aware of any particular 'better' places to look than others. I have seen some on managed syndicate websites and as stated earlier Lightning looks very nice but I don't know if there are any that more in the know boaters would recommend.

cheers

Just now, Jayfire said:

In truth Alan I am constantly looking at boats and syndicates to the extent I might even be boring the wife so much she is losing interest in them :shocked

Are you aware of any particular 'better' places to look than others. I have seen some on managed syndicate websites and as stated earlier Lightning looks very nice but I don't know if there are any that more in the know boaters would recommend.

cheers

Hi Jayfire,

www.boatshare.co.uk list all the syndicates for narrow boats and Broads based cruisers.

Lightening (private), Thunder (BCBM), Moonlight Shadow (BCBM), Southern Crusader (private) and Ranworth Breeze (private) are all based at Brundall on the Southern Broads.  

Blue Mist (private), Evening Shadow (BCBM), Goosander (private) and Silver Cloud (BCBM) are all based on the Northern Broads.

On the forum we have a number of owners in most of these syndicates, so if you need any advice please ask.

Regards

Alan 

On Sat Mar 18 2017 at 9:51 AM, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Jayfire,

www.boatshare.co.uk list all the syndicates for narrow boats and Broads based cruisers.

Lightening (private), Thunder (BCBM), Moonlight Shadow (BCBM), Southern Crusader (private) and Ranworth Breeze (private) are all based at Brundall on the Southern Broads.  

Blue Mist (private), Evening Shadow (BCBM), Goosander (private) and Silver Cloud (BCBM) are all based on the Northern Broads.

On the forum we have a number of owners in most of these syndicates, so if you need any advice please ask.

Regards

Alan 

Alan, I'm sorry to keep bothering you but I was hoping you may know of who (if any) are the forum members of evening shadow.

I don't want to start a thread about her but I have been looking at the syndicate boats and would really like to know what sort of circumstance the fellow syndicate owners are in, particularly regarding their requirements for school holidays as they are what we really need (so ideally I hope they are all retired older owners who all want to swap their school holiday weeks :naughty:)

Anyway I again apologise for my annoying questioning and thank you for your help to now.

Thanks

Jay

Moonlight Shadow is the 'sister' boat to Evening Shadow, but is based at Brundall. The syndicate members always try to accommodate everyone's preferences for when they can get up to the Broads.  

One of our partners shares is for sale and she has always needed to have school holidays.  So far it has always happened.   

Sue Hardy

4 hours ago, TrevorAndDeirdre said:

Hello Jay I am the chairman of Evening Shadow if you make contact with me direct then I can answer any questions you may have.

Many Thanks TrevorAndDeirdre I have messaged you

1 hour ago, SueH said:

Moonlight Shadow is the 'sister' boat to Evening Shadow, but is based at Brundall. The syndicate members always try to accommodate everyone's preferences for when they can get up to the Broads.  

One of our partners shares is for sale and she has always needed to have school holidays.  So far it has always happened.   

Sue Hardy

Thanks for that Sue I have seen those too. On the website there are 2 shares for sale, one costing more than the second for the same 8%. Is there a reason for this??

I apologise I am completely new to syndicates and so coming across as a bit thick :dance

19 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Jay,

One of those shares has been up for sale for almost a year now, the owner is a member on here and illness forces the sale

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Sue And Trevor have been very kindly helping me out with lots of information. So thanks to all of you for your kind assistance. It's very much appreciated.

Jay