Moorings At Horning

Hi All, 

I have just heard that one of our private berth holders from Horning is moving on to pastures new, 

Seeing as this is near April when everyone else swaps about i thought I would put it up on here, 

There are now 2 spaces available, Stern on with electric and water,  access up to your boat by car,

£63 per foot per year inc VAT,  These moorings are charged at minimum 35ft (others are full) 

we have all services available 

Traditional boatbuilding, 

Engineers

polishing 

Antifoul. 

30 Tonne travel hoist. 

Give myself or Jason a ring (01692) 630614

Cheers, Clive..

P.S, we will refund any complete months if you decide to move on. 

• Like 3

I managed to find space for a 23' boat today which made me realise that there is also one space in the main marina for a stern on max 25' and also one side on space for a smaller  boat, electricity available on both moorings. 

I will have to re home the tow boat though! 

Cheers, Clive. 

• Like 1

People with little Hamptons, if the moorings are stern on, take up pretty much as much space as bigger boats so I can quite understand Clive having a high minimum charge. Not only that but if a 'small' boat is frightened away then I'm quite certain that there is a big one waiting to take its place.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 8:38 PM, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

That works out at £2,205 per annum minimum. Very expensive Clive if someone wants a mooring for a Hampton, or Elysian etc. Is there any way you can cut the minimum length to something a bit more realistic, then if you might attract more interest?.

Hi yes, 

the basin is large and has 0ver 45' clear water in the middle even with 45' boats moored either side so would be a waste if filled with 25' boats, also the pontoons are spaced for 12-14 foot wide boats so would also loose about 5' per bay. 

I had amended the availability to show that there are a couple of spaces for smaller boats but they really need to be about 21-23 feet long. 

all our other spaces are full for boats up to 30' 

there are 27 and 28' boats moored in the main basin with no wish to be anywhere else, 

We have over 65 spaces which are pretty much full, so we feel the pricing is pretty good. 

Perhaps get Thunder and Lightening up here to keep the others company? 

Cheers, Clive. :naughty:

• Like 6

We have just left Horning marina only because we wanted to have 12 months down south as our boat is more suited there and we like a weekend in Beccles, Oulton etc.

The marina is one of the best on the system in terms of position, facilities ,ease of mooring. 

The charges are about right taking consideration of the above.

we wouldn't hesitate to return in a few  years.

John B

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Matt, like I said,  with the new owners favouring the North its  a reasonable  bet that the vote will be too move (if Clive still has space of course  )

Although with our investment plans it might be best to stay put............

Indeed,  we need to pull  the whole thing together rather than looking at individual items, and maybe the reasoning behind why some owners want the move may have changed by then as well,  and that would influence individual votes.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:36 PM, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It`s not the charges per foot i was thinking of, it`s the minimum length. There are many small boats on the Broads, i wonder how many are "subsidising (?)" the bigger boats via unrealistic, or representative minimum length charges?.

Yes there are actually 3 boats in our marina which are significantly smaller than the minimum length so to answer your question that is 3. but i don't think they are subsidising anyone. 

I do not believe it is unrealistic as we have roughly 25 spaces for smaller boats with either 35', 25 ft min or no min charge. 

its like going to the chip shop and asking for 67p worth of chips, you might be told they only do 60p or 90p. 

• Like 3

I've wondered what would happen if the pricing scales so far as charges on length were to go and instead a flat rate mooring charge was applied.  Nice and easy and simple, sure some would pay a little more others in larger craft maybe a little less but being able to say everyone pays the same amount per year. The moorings in Horning are popular because of their space it makes getting into and out of the berth easier for those who moor there.

9 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I've wondered what would happen if the pricing scales so far as charges on length were to go and instead a flat rate mooring charge was applied.  Nice and easy and simple, sure some would pay a little more others in larger craft maybe a little less but being able to say everyone pays the same amount per year. The moorings in Horning are popular because of their space it makes getting into and out of the berth easier for those who moor there.

Now suggest that to the BA regarding tolls and await the response, lights blue touch paper and retires, in fact Clives policy is no different to most other marinas.

Fred

I think I see robins point and also agree all the marinas do the same. Don't make it right though. 

Where I am there is a min charge of 35ft I think. At 38ft I'm good. But on a stern on pontoon the 35ft boat is using the same quay heading space as the 50ft boat next to it. 

I get the length charges if your side on, but stern on is the same whatever length boat you have. The only exception I can see and where the min charges apply, is if you are in a part of the marina with better depth or swing room to moor up. 

I think we pay top dollar Allan, but then I don't fear mooring in a breeze like I used to in tighter moorings. Saves on fibreglass repairs as well :facepalm:

• Like 1

I agree with Robin on this. One way of looking at it could be that You are in effect renting a space, just because you do not need it does not mean that you should not pay for it. If I only needed the space in a one bedroom flat but rented a two bedroom I would not expect them to charge me the same rate as a one bedroom. You could also say that the bigger boats are actually subsidising the smaller boats by having to cover the cost of unused and uncharged (if only paying by boat length) real estate.

it really boils down to market economics, and the fact that it is almost full does mean Clive has it correct, or maybe even under charging.

:)

Where I moor like Clive they have different minimum length berths. I happen to be in a berth where the minimum length is longer than my boat, but rather than charge me the minimum length, they charge me my actual length, but have reserved the right to either move me to a shorter berth, or request the difference should a customer come along that is longer than me. In 7 years it has never happened and we are both happy. In reality most marinas have a clause that says they can either use your berth whilst your not in it, or move you to a different berth for operational reasons, so the right to move me to a shorter berth is sort of already in the conditions anyway.

To be honest, I think Maxwellian is correct and I am undercharging for the space as the space around the boats is generous, not just the bit where the boat is tied. 

The reason i charge less is that the marina is still 'work in progress' and with hopes to expand I dont want to empty some spaces by being greedy  when some aspects of the marina are still needing work. 

However, we do supply a cracking service and have a 30 tonne lift which not many others do. 

• Like 1

A quick comment on minimum charging.. most marinas in the real world have a minimum charge, ours here has a minimum of 40 foot. As I'm sure clive knows to build and maintain a marina isn't cheap certainly if it doesnt have visitor moorings as cash flow can be a nightmare. It has to be a bit of a selfish view... the berth on the open market has a value.. it's not the marinas problem if you have a small boat... certain marinas won't even allow you access if your boat is of a certain value so I think it's polite for marinas to even allow you to berth your small beside larger boats of larger value... sorry but boating,  certainly outside the broads isn't always fair.. Smaller gaps I suspect can only be catered for if larger berths can't be accommodated and again business isn't fair why should the marina subsidise your smaller boat?

I can't remember seeing horning marina but I think it's a typical premium grade marina and as such demands a premium price. Clearly there's certainly a market for such product on the northern broads.. for norfolk though I love the rustic marina's.

Clive had I sent you a sample of our teak carpet product yet ;) :party:

• Like 2