When Men Wore Baggy Shorts And Ladies Wore Culottes

JennyMorgan

How lovely...thanks for posting this photo of Hunter's Yard's Luna. We've booked her for July this year. They way that this year is flying by that doesn't seem too far off now. We've also got a jaunt on one of Ferry Marina's boats in May to keep us going until then. 

Helen

Graham would probably be up to the baggy shorts challenge but I find my two sons hardly ever wear shorts...no idea why, it's not like they have knobbly knees or no muscles (I think they've both got rather nice legs, but I guess I'm a bit biased). What is it with today's youngsters? 

Anyway, today's shorts are pretty baggy compared to the tight shorts that were worn in the '70s and '80s!  :naughty: 

...and I used to have a pair of culottes.  Must have a look to see if I can find them!

• Like 2

Having spent most of my life on digs in hot places...shorts and pit boots were a kind of uniform. I don't think I owned a pair of long pants until I came back to the UK in the 90's. These day's I'm forbidden to wear short shorts due to...'slippage' shall we say? The same goes for swimming trunks. The slippage problem means the 'slipped' items revolve as you swim the first length of the pool. The drag factor makes for a painful and slow start. However on the second length the 'slippage' unwinds and acts like a propeller making the return length exceedingly fast.

By far the biggest argument, regarding my wearing shorts, is what I wear on my feet with them. My other half insists I wear socks with sandals and trainers and I refuse. On really hot days when shorts are a must and we are going 'out' I can get away with trainer socks, otherwise I wear my DeWalt safety boots and shorts if I am forced to wear socks.

• Like 5

Just now, Timbo said:

Having spent most of my life on digs in hot places...shorts and pit boots were a kind of uniform. I don't think I owned a pair of long pants until I came back to the UK in the 90's. These day's I'm forbidden to wear short shorts due to...'slippage' shall we say? The same goes for swimming trunks. The slippage problem means the 'slipped' items revolve as you swim the first length of the pool. The drag factor makes for a painful and slow start. However on the second length the 'slippage' unwinds and acts like a propeller making the return length exceedingly fast.

By far the biggest argument, regarding my wearing shorts, is what I wear on my feet with them. My other half insists I wear socks with sandals and trainers and I refuse. On really hot days when shorts are a must and we are going 'out' I can get away with trainer socks, otherwise I wear my DeWalt safety boots and shorts if I am forced to wear socks.

NEVER, NEVER, unlike a friend of mine be seen DEAD in Crocks 'n socks, especially black socks. He says he doesn't have to change black ones so often......

• Like 5

Definitely no socks.  Unlike Timbo's missis I wouldn't be seen out with Graham if he wore socks with his shorts.  A sartorial no-no.  I'm not normally fashion conscious (those who know me know that I'm the very opposite), but his lovely long legs look a lot nicer without the socks.  :love

• Like 2

We spent some time in South Africa some years ago and it was very noticeable, how the women mostly looked very elegant, and slouching along beside them their husbands dressed in baggy ,scruffy creased c.a.k. shorts,  sartorial disasters. Our friend with whom we were staying had long been renown here for his scruffy appearance and tendency to go round looking like Worzel  Gummidge,, so in South Africa where he had emigrated to,  he was in his element.

c.a.k.?  crotch at kneecaps:6_smile:

Carole

• Like 3