Making A Web Site ...

To be honest, these days having a website that you need to maintain, pay for a domain, a host and then get people to actually come to is a bit 'old school' - when you can simply make, for free, a Page on Facebook and have all your content, photos and videos there.

You then leave all the hard work to hosting and the like to Facebook and know that anyone who likes you page will be notified whenever you post new content to it. 

If you want to go down the website building path there are lots of DIY website building tools to try, for free, you only pay once you've built the site and want to buy your domain and host it. They are often pretty simple drag and drop based so no coding knowledge needed.  A list of the top 10 can be found here

• Like 1

What robin said lol... although these DIY websites are only good for personal use.. if you are running a business then for various reasons they won't scale up and may damage online presence and growth, so it really is a case of you get what you pay for.

There's a free and well known company/software called "wordpress", if you are able to use a word processing software like Microsoft Word you will find this easy to use.  It's more aimed at blogging sites which I suspect is what you want although it has some powerful tools.

Link to Wordpress:  https://wordpress.com

I threw a blog site together in about 4 seconds: http://www.teak-carpet.co.uk/blog/ it's very simple to setup and allows you to easily add content.

There are also lots of web hosting companies who offer free webhosting.. although these are only good for small projects, you may find them helpful to get you started for free.. Here's one I've used before: https://www.freevirtualservers.com/free-hosting

Have fun :) 

Try out Wix they have lots and lots of business add ons for free

this includes shop, payment, booking for restaurants 

Just built one for mate of mine hope to go live in the next couple of weeks once we can get the tech into the restaurant. problem is he is open every day see some late nights coming up.

Facebook is OK to put out little quick posts. Same with a Facebook page. Be careful, Facebook exists only to feed it's own marketing needs. The same applies to Twitter but it is not quite so self serving as Facebook. The object of both Facebook and Twitter is to keep the audience on their sites looking at their content. It's in both companies operation statements.

One of the easiest means of building your own site to promote your own content is through Wix and through WordPress. WordPress is what I use for the websites that I host and maintain. 

One organisation that I deal with have a large Facebook and Twitter precense but also maintain their own website for indepth articles. Facebook and Twitter generate likes and retweets in the thousands. The website however makes the most of customer engagement. 

Look at the NBN for example and the depth of engagement in the forum as opposed to Facebook and Twitter.  It's the depth of engagement that makes the sales, gets the views etc. 

Best route is the belt and braces... Go for as much exposure as you can and don't forget Pinterest and such sites which caters better for creators, crafts people, how to's, like your own content. 

• Like 2

I do like the idea of having a proper website as my channel grows I could be selling merchandise on there keeping blogs , putting recipes on there new kitchen gadgets all sorts of stuff . I would need a bit of help just to get it going but once I'm shown I'm fine I am a quick study so we will see if anyone has a bit of spare time to help me out ...

• 2 months later...