Old Broads Boats

webntweb

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

The postcard that I didn't buy as found on Ebay of B773!

Sigh, I wish I could find one like that of R641

Griff

Hi Griff, 

I guess you will have seen the picture on Carol's Broadland Memories site

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2011/10/jack-powles-1968-part-2/

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 13:12, socrates said:

Lovely pictures from back in the day, thanks for sharing them. I also enjoy watching the many film clips that have been posted on Youtube, they show the Broads over a period of many years and are very interesting, especially the wooden boats. Surprising how many men wore a shirt and tie whilst boating.  Also, how much smaller most of the boats are compared with the current hire boats. 

I have not seen any pictures of our boat, Broadland Grebe. However, someone sent me some of Ripplecraft boats, not sure if I am allowed to post them here because I do not have the copyright to them. 

There's been a post card of her floating around on e-bay. Buy it now for £50.00!!

• Haha 1

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 09:48, JennyMorgan said:

5a5c77f169da3__57(53).JPG.471d05591d925266779e18d3e8ccfc14.JPG

Another 1950's picture but this time with three sevens?

Oi who stole my club house??!! Well actually HSC Club house wasn't built till 63, they used to meet in the Swan and we often used to go over to the pub during lunch time in the 80's but it's gradually become more commercial and less friendly...

Also you can see the sign on the bank where the Southern comfort now moors, which used to say the Sawn Inn on this side and Horning Sailing club on the other side..with arrows pointing in the correct directions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ah 1981, the first year I came to the Broads. The pub is indeed a terrible colour. I agree, a Newson boat and Salient Wings, memorable for that inward sloping windscreen. The Bounty 37 and Horizon 35, still common today of course but already a few seasons old by 1981. Once again though, the overall vista is the same today (pub colour excepting). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webntweb said:

Stokesby in early September 81. Sorry Simon but the pubs changed to a greeny/brown (yuck). Looks like one of Newson's outside the pub and is that Salient Wings 5th boat from the right?

573a Stokesby.jpg

Its Newsons Amethyst outside the pub.

Edited by JanetAnne
Cant spell Amethyst!
  • Thanks 1

1947 Vesta 6 coming into moor at the Ferry Inn Horning My father on th helm, my Uncle on the stern ropes

and I think Hardy Arkell on the fore ropes. See the Woodbastwick road disappearing off, only used in those 

days to get to the ferry, I can't remember any moorings on the Woodbastwick side, not that I was around in 47.

The second photo is the Ferry Inn moorings, we rather think that this is before the pub was rebuilt after its direct hit 

during WW2. Three Vestas and a Monarch.

Vesta 6 Horning Ferry 1947.jpeg

Vestas at Horning Ferry 1947.jpeg

• Like 5