Old Broads Boats

webntweb

12 hours ago, springsong said:

Thank you Vaughan,I used to have one but went in one of the moves. I remember Ted and Lesley obviously I was just a nipper. I am sorry if you have all seen these before.

May 1957.jpeg

May 1957 Loup de Mer 2.jpeg

Takes me back to my first Broads Holiday in 58. My parents hired Vestella 4. She was moored on the other side of the shed.

I think Landamores called it the Vestella shed. It is situated across the road from the main Landamores yard at the top of a dyke which I think joins the Bure just past Summercraft's yard.

On 26/03/2018 at 09:13, springsong said:

May 1957.jpeg

May 1957 Loup de Mer 2.jpeg

That Renault brings back fond memories , the first car of my mother’s i can remember was a Renault Dauphine SVE 182C had a supercharger and did all of 85mph , she used to have a paving slab in the bonnet to (try and) keep it stable , didn’t work as it ended up on its roof just outside Romsey Hants 

• Like 1

Mate of mine had one of the Gordini's absolute pig to work on and the timing on them was so exact he serviced it one Sunday morning came down the pub at lunchtime had a pint before lunch. Jumped in the car started it up put it in first gear. Let up the clutch an went full tilt, in reverse into the pub garden through the fence.

The distrubutor was not done up tight enough and it slipped, the engine started up in reverse.

I think the advert started something like this:

"A penny farthing a mile and you travel in style . . . the Renault Dauphine,

A built in heater just couldn't be neater . . . the Renault Dauphine".

etc . . .

Didn't have one myself but a mate got almost 200,000 miles out of one.

• 2 weeks later...

Dad and my younger brother Neil on Landamore's Vestella 4 at Acle in early September 1958. 

I think the boat passing is from Ferry boatyard, Horning. On the other bank is a Vesta. 

Don't know what the boat behind the Vesta is though.

014 Dad Neil Acle.jpg

• Like 5

I used to love to see the different boatyard's pennants flying from the fore mast. I think it's a shame they no longer have them. It is symbolic of a lack of pride which IMHO leads to a lowering of standards

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

I used to love to see the different boatyard's pennants flying from the fore mast. I think it's a shame they no longer have them. It is symbolic of a lack of pride which IMHO leads to a lowering of standards

Back in  the day all boats lifted fenders when underway. Those that didn't would hear calls of "fenders down" from the other boats.

8 hours ago, webntweb said:

Dad and my younger brother Neil on Landamore's Vestella 4 at Acle in early September 1958. 

I think the boat passing is from Ferry boatyard, Horning. On the other bank is a Vesta. 

014 Dad Neil Acle.jpg

Suggest Ferry Boatyard?

My father insisted on fenders up. I don't as I have to pay the bill if anyone hits me. Modern world!!!

18 hours ago, webntweb said:

014 Dad Neil Acle.jpg

I do hope that's not the only photo you have..... (drool :default_blush: )

• Like 1

And people think Train Spotters are bad?......................

Seriously though, when we first hired in June 70, there were still a vast number of timber hirecraft around, more than GRP i seem to remember, but now, if you look through the websites and catalogue etc, they`re all white plastic blobs.  My own personal favourite is a white GRP hull, with a varnished timber top, and white coachroof / decks.  One of my all time favourites that i`ve hired was Kingfisher from Maffetts. A really good looking and practical Broads cruiser.