2017 Beccles Wooden Broads Cruiser Show

JanetAnne

Yes finally!

I am thrilled to announce that, following discussions and ensuring all event protocols are met, we are now in the position to finally announce that the 2017 Wooden Broads Cruiser Show has been given the green light for this year. We are, once again, booked for carnival weekend (yay!) 18th - 20th August with our show day being the 19th. 

Beccles Yacht Station is being run slightly differently this year while some proposed maintenance works are undertaken meaning we have had to look at our event to ensure we are able to run safely on the day. 

All is now well and we are all systems go with just 20 weeks to go!

Our event is going to follow the same basic format as last year which both worked well and which BYS are happy with for this year. 

SO... Here goes...

Our 2017 entry list (so far) represents some of the best builders to grace the broads. Demand is keen and there are just a few spots still available

Lady Fontana

Fairstar

Nipper

Georgia

Missouri Star

Broad Ambition

Star Premier

Manxman

Judith M

Tabitha Rose

Kingfisher

Lady Christina

Highlight 5

Swift way

Mona's Queen

Chameleon

Mystic Melody

Mystique

Golden Cockerel

Yet to be confirmed but expected to attend are

Royal Tudor

Muddy Waters

Lady Helena

Captain Jack

Royal Tartan

Oh yes, and me! Probably spend the weekend on a low loader but I will still be happy!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grendel said:

do you have space for a mini Broad Ambition, I would like to bring at least one of the models, complete or not, even if it means driving up and sleeping in the car.

Would love to have you and mini BA there, as I have said elsewhere, young man.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

do you have space for a mini Broad Ambition, I would like to bring at least one of the models, complete or not, even if it means driving up and sleeping in the car.

if neccessary pete you can bunk aboard chameleon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chameleon said:

if neccessary pete you can bunk aboard chameleon

Will there be enough bacon?  Lol

Pat's bacon sandwiches were legend last year, they kept the organising team nourished and functioning!

Looking forward to it once again.  Not sure of my final crew list - tbc

We will be crewing up onboard 'B.A' Fri 18th Pm and of course JA is expecting us to be on the mooring at Beccles first thing on Sat 19th - No pressure there then!

Distances from Richo's - 7:5m to the Ant mouth,   Ant mouth to GYA 17m,   GYA to Beccles 23m  =  47:5 miles.  Now I'm not going to do that in five minutes :shocked  47:5 miles is around 8 x Hrs, depending on tides etc,  Low water at GYA by my reckoning is 0108 on Saturday 19th so High water will be around 0730-ish.  Sunrise is due around 0540-ish

By the time we get onboard, store / water ship etc we will probably be ready to slip and proceed at 2300

Option 1)  Go for it, by the time we arrive at GYA it will be 0330 or 2 1/2 Hrs after Low water, so the closer I get to GYA the more strength tide I'll be pushing (Allowing for the slack water period) but bridge clearance will be ok, then I'll have tide with me across Breydon and up the Waveney, eta Beccles around 0730 - Perfect only I'll be somewhat tired and not sparkly all day Saturday

Option 2)  Sail at 2300 eta Stracey Arms  0200, grab a few hours shut eye.  Sail at 0500 into flood tide, eta GYA 0615 - only an hour before high water - might have bridge clearance issues, even if we get under I will have only half an hour or so of assist with flood tide on Breydon then I will be against tide all the way to Beccles eta 1015 - Tooooooooo late and I'll be in JA's bad books to boot :facepalm:and still somewhat tired to say the least

Solution - Book my work Diary clear of any commitments on Friday 18th, try and have a lazy day and force mysen to get some shut eye Friday afternoon.  Then go for option 1) and be Ok-ish to participate Saturday at Beccles, sleep extremely well on Saturday night

I have never night navved 'B.A' over Breydon as of yet, so it is about time I did.  Looking forward to the trip even more now.  Of course the one unknown variable is fog / mist, if that manifests itsen I am stuffed no matter if it's night or day

Anyone care to cruise with us?

Griff

Erm, edited to say I have night navved over Breydon in the early 80's but my Dad was skipper on a Broom Admiral, I was perched ontop of the wheelhouse roof with a car spotlamp on a block of wood with a pair of cables long cables down to one of the domestic batteries, burnt my thumb holding the earth wire onto the body of the lamp :norty:

• Like 5

Damn.... just discovered our weeks holiday is up the previous weekend :facepalm:that means my brother will miss it he's coming up from Somerset for the week and he's a woodie enthusiast bar none, never mind we'll be moored at somerlayton then so me and the other half will be there,cheers

have to do it again.......... mmmmmm black pudding :bow

Sounds a mix of fear and excitement in equal parts so far as getting B.A to Beccles.

The issues are that at this time of the year (usually) we have warm days and a good amount of heat builds up.  Come sunset and if a clear night this heat that has built up in the rivers and wet marshes rises and meets with the cooler night air – perfect for some thicker mist/fog to set in.

However there are some additional toys that can be used and help out with river navigation:

I use a tablet set up and on low brightness and with offline Google satellite maps, you are able to see where you are in real time, where the next bend is coming up and when for example.  I also use another App which has a bearing and compass etc which can aid navigation if you know what to keep to avoid hitting things like navigation posts.

Also because we have moved the spot light further forward on B.A it can be used more freely without issue of its beam reflecting off the chromed horn back plates together with a newly LED light bar which spreads a beam of crisp light low and wide over the river and can sit on the bow of B.A (worked a treat night-naving to Potter Heigham last October in the dark).

The main issue is mist/fog – if it is clear then you’ve got the lower Bure and its shelving banks on a falling tide, but as you come through the bridges at Yarmouth and indeed under Breydon Bridge these will be lit by nearby lighting – but as you head out under Breydon Bridge towards the Waveney that will be one big black hole.

Fog lamps are a bit of a misnomer because if it's a real fog then all the light does is to create a blank, impenetrable white wall and annoy the hell out of the locals:51_scream:!.

Perhaps it would be better to first navigate in daylight and then, using a GPS, waymark all the posts. That way you'll have the information for a foggy night trip. 

• Like 1

I have to say that I still like my Viewranger running a 1:25000 OS. Big advantage is it has night vision  in display preferences. A big plus in you favour is you will be heading into the dark. The other way the light scatter on the water from Yarmouth is not good. Sounds a great night cruise. Day mode and night on viewranger.

DSC_0401.JPG

DSC_0400.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I have to say that I still like my Viewranger running a 1:25000 OS. Big advantage is it has night vision  in display preferences. A big plus in you favour is you will be heading into the dark. The other way the light scatter on the water from Yarmouth is not good. Sounds a great night cruise. Day mode and night on viewranger.

DSC_0401.JPG

DSC_0400.JPG

Is that an app Chris...??? If so what's it called and do they do it for the iPad..??

Yes, it is an app. The app is free and you buy the maps you want at about the same price as a paper one, though they do have alot of offers and smaller scale maps are often free. I am pretty sure they have an I pad version. I am on android but I don't think there is a version for MS. Go to your app shop and ask for "Viewranger"

• Like 1

on my linux laptop, I have a free gps program, this allows downloads from open streetmaps, and is accurate to about the last 30 seconds - ie I wouldnt want to try and drive at 30mph using it, but at just a few mph you will be within a few yards, its accurate enough to show which lane you are driving in on the  motorway. I think its called foxtrot gps.

13 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

Will try hard to come along this year... Not sure if I told you JA.. but managed to get into the wet shed and my god I almost fainted.. be nice to see all that timber up close again :)

Note to self, must have a word with Clive about changing the door code. All that slobber on the walkways one could easily slip and fall in the water. :dance

Doug.

• Like 1

Not had chance to have a good look at it yet, but the Ordnance Survey just emailed me to tell me of a new service available to existing subscribers. Apparently they now have 3D landscape mapping available a bit like Google Earth but more detailed. From the screen shots I saw it seems they drop the route and location onto satellite imagery.

On 02/04/2017 at 2:02 PM, JanetAnne said:

Yes finally!

I am thrilled to announce that, following discussions and ensuring all event protocols are met, we are now in the position to finally announce that the 2017 Wooden Broads Cruiser Show has been given the green light for this year. We are, once again, booked for carnival weekend (yay!) 18th - 20th August with our show day being the 19th. 

Beccles Yacht Station is being run slightly differently this year while some proposed maintenance works are undertaken meaning we have had to look at our event to ensure we are able to run safely on the day. 

All is now well and we are all systems go with just 20 weeks to go!

Our event is going to follow the same basic format as last year which both worked well and which BYS are happy with for this year. 

SO... Here goes...

Our 2017 entry list (so far) represents some of the best builders to grace the broads. Demand is keen and there are just a few spots still available

Lady Fontana

Fairstar

Nipper

Georgia

Missouri Star

Broad Ambition

Star Premier

Manxman

Judith M

Tabitha Rose

Kingfisher

Lady Christina

Highlight 5

Swift way

Mona's Queen

Chameleon

Mystic Melody

Mystique

Golden Cockerel

Yet to be confirmed but expected to attend are

Royal Tudor

Muddy Waters

Lady Helena

Captain Jack

Royal Tartan

Oh yes, and me! Probably spend the weekend on a low loader but I will still be happy!

Muddy Waters now comfirmed

Royal Tartan now confirmed

Finale (our support vessel) also confirmed.

A special appearance of mini Broad Ambition is also expected!

Anyone fancy giving Timbo a nudge ;)