Time To Reflect | Brinks Serenade

LondonRascal

20 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Just had some interesting replies over on You Tube comments as to my ideas...The fact is the Broads Authority have a very varied job on their hands and limited funds to do it all with.  They are not accountable and in my opinion not very good at spending what money they have wisely – but if you are making your money from people, who have two choices in the matter, pay or go you don’t tend to find the word ‘efficiency’ come up too often.

That said what worries me is the future – so this year I paid £514.00 for Broad Ambitions toll this year, so she is good to go for 12 months navigation around the rivers but I don’t see ‘value’ in this amount and come 2018 do they decide to increase this again, but make a big point of how this year it is only a 10% increase” – and you know what, they very well could..

The Broads is changing, but I miss the ‘old times’ when the boats were more simple and plentiful and even the premium new builds were not too fancy, just better equipment nicer materials used, soft Draylon upholstery and carpeting too.  You might get a video player and a larger fridge – these days the boats sleep less but often are built to the maximum dimensions allowed to provide as much space internally and are sold as being something to aspire to, you hired Clear Gem this year, next year save up and have Commodore ‘you know you want to’ type thing.

But is it the holiday makers demanding these larger and ever more plush boats at great cost, of the boatyards building them and with each new so the loss of an old boat occurs thus slowly but surely pushing out the budget accommodation. 

Pay to Moor would encourage land owners to allow their land to be used more – after all they might share some of the profits – but I accept if implemented it might begin at £5.00 for 24 hours and in three years have crept up to £10.00 as they see how much they can push things and profits.  It would not work unless moorings that were part of the scheme had several advantages to them over free moorings but you know it’s not all doom and gloom and need not be all about paying more.

I thought how nice it might be in the season to have resourceful thinking local publican’s and a Broads Authority with an ‘open mind’ to trial ‘pop up bars’ – just temporary – much the same as you may find at an exhibition, a theme to them, some fake grass, seats, decking, and the like the drinks be delivered to them by boat and either placed on large floating pontoons that boats could come to and moor or shore side.  

I know it may seem like people would be encouraged to drink more and may seem also like it was a free for all so far as rowdy people go, but I would hope things could be kept in order.  It would mean a wider spread of places to head to, local pubs would have a new revenue stream and while it might not appeal to all, there surely would be a number of younger people (and I mean under 50’s here) who rather like the idea of a cool, laid back open air bar under the wide skies of the Norfolk Broads. Fresh thinking I say is needed, it does not hurt to wonder..

img_2433.jpg

I have just watched with interest 'Box Park',   all well and good but I would feel for the poor chap or chapess that is stuck in an airless box all day with no facilities, would not be my choice.          True the open air bar sounds wonderful in Palm Beach or similar but the Broads when there is a lovely Easterly blowing in from Siberia up your jacksie , hot days are not that plentiful and when it rains it blooming well rains or just plain drizzles that seems to make you wetter still.        I personally think the Broads is just right.    We need more waste bins and moorings which can be achieved with pontoons.

You can still wild moor thank goodness and sorry folks (the takeaway and ready meal brigade)  but you will have to just learn how to cook and feed yourselves like more and more us do nowadays.  

:Sailing:Stinkycheersbar

• Like 7

21 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Pay to Moor would encourage land owners to allow their land to be used more – after all they might share some of the profits – but I accept if implemented it might begin at £5.00 for 24 hours and in three years have crept up to £10.00 as they see how much they can push things and profits.  It would not work unless moorings that were part of the scheme had several advantages to them over free moorings but you know it’s not all doom and gloom and need not be all about paying more.

The Broads Authority already have the means and powers to provide as much free mooring as is required by the navigable system, if not a duty to do so. One of the largest departments within the Broads Authority is the planning department. And it is huge Robin. To give an indication of just how large the planning department at Yare House is...the practise that handles planning for the whole of one of the country's largest supermarket chains, and built a premier league stadium, handles planning for two city councils on opposite sides of the country, deals with planning matters for two National Parks and thousands of  individual planning cases is a quarter of the size of the Broads Authority planning department.

The BA has some quite extensive powers as a planning authority and as a port and navigation authority. Through my experience with other landscape authorities both at home and abroad they employ their planning departments proactively for the common benefit. 'So Mr Landowner...you want to do this? In that case you will do this!' or 'Mr Landowner it appears you have not done this, ooh it's gonna cost ya...but it will all go away if you do this!'. Friends owning property in the Lakes often recount what a pain in the backside planning is to deal with. But they quickly came to realise that by thinking 'how can I accommodate' in their plans the system suddenly speeded up. As you rightly said the Broads Authority

21 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

are not accountable and in my opinion not very good at spending what money they have wisely

I think I would go a bit further than that. Comparing them to similar organisations that I have worked with...let's just say I don't think the management is 'all that bright'.

Enjoying this seasons videos. Ranworth is somewhere I always come a cropper...that and stern on at Salhouse. I expect plenty of goodhearted jeering when I arrive with Belmore at the meet!

• Like 3

Watched Day 2 Part 2 on the television minutes after you uploaded and we were just bowled over at the shear professionalism of the video. The combination of your technique and the emotions that most of us have been through but which you managed to convey on film was really beautiful to watch. You obviously enjoy creating these gems but a genuine thanks for doing so.

Fred

• Like 2

Hi Robin

Watched your review and was very surprised at your comment that there are no stern fenders, I would worry when stern moored with that low stern possibly catching under the quay heading, I'm especially thinking Womack Staithe where I have seen the water rise and fall considerably.

Also, you did well at Ranworth although I couldn't agree more that the Throttle would have been better on the other side, I also noticed that you had to stand on the 'sun lounger' to exit from the helm.  I still think that the old Diamonds were better in this respect having steps on the port side.

Robin, the young professionals might go for a heritage with comfort approach.  Hunters are very busy, but not for the faint hearted! Big grants to improve the comfort in traditional boats such as the Judiths and the Javelins might also pay off. Whelpton's have Lutra, and she is a real beauty and comfortable, for the young professionals, it would be something completely different.

Just so you know I will need to add the 'holiday tale' part to the video when I am home and get on with publishing day three's Blog.

I am currently doing what Shila had asked for on the phone in day 2 (part 1) - we are away but in Weymouth and enjoying it it so much once we get kicked out the flat we are renting tomorrow, may well check in to a B&B if we can find vacancies and stay an extra night,

I know not Broads related, but we took a short sea trip today and it was nice to see the coast and be on the water and made me think how special it feels when you go somewhere by the sea not road or rail etc. I hear Portland Harbour is to be turned into some kind of 'Cruise Terminal' where cruise ships can stop by, which all seems rather astonishing but will see if actually comes to anything.

• Like 4

Day Two (Part 2)

Having arrived at Ranworth Staithe I decided that I would go for a walk to the Norfolk Wildlife Trust's Board Walk - you'd be surprised perhaps as I was how well designed, rich and informative their website is: www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/home  and the various projects they are involved with.

I have never actually reached the floating visitor centre and found it open - one of these days I will, but being there alone was really rather nice.  I just sat and looked out over Ranworth Broad and it all felt very relaxing and a good time to gather my thoughts and make some plans for what the future might have in store.  I am not sure why or what may have changed, but I decided I wanted to go to St. Helen's Church and so duly left the water behind and walked back towards the road.

There is something about this walk that gets to me, maybe it is the sounds - you've got sheep, you've got bird life, then you see someone tending to their garden as if it is all going on, gently and quietly and I could well imagine how the area may have been in years past since really you feel very much disconnected from the hustle and bustle of life.

I reached the church and found it to be empty - and completely quiet. I took a seat and just thought and reflected on the events of the last couple of weeks and thought of my Dad and the times we had come to Ranworth be it as a family or just he and I and how my mum would never come up to the church tower due to her being afraid of the height, and all the other times I had been here and 'report back' to my Dad about my days adventures on the phone, this of course now all but memories.  

I climbed the tower and despite it being a windy day, it was mild, the sun was out and it was clear - you really could see for miles and I felt I could spend a good deal of time up there just taking it all in without any other person to break the moment.  I had taken a small table top tripod and duly set this up to talk to the camera, it was only after taking the camera away I noticed I had not attached the camera to it properly and was hanging on by a thread, I was pleased I had picked the camera body up not the legs of the tripod of there would surely be no more Blog as the camera would have fallen.

Back down the tower, donation made and note in the visitors book written I felt somehow refreshed. Time to head back to the boat, but not before I headed into the Maltsters - and no sooner had I ordered my pint of Wherry than the old boy in his sailors cap came over and showed me his selection of old photographs and shared his memories. He noticed my camera and explained I did not take photos with it but video and how You Tube worked and sharing things I see and so on, but he was most surprised I was from London and had come on a boat alone at my age.  

Out the pub back to the Staithe and stopped twice to talk to a chap who I had met at Horning the evening before - more questions about what I did and why with the camera and so on, then another guy with his wife explaining about the Forum since I had a banner on the side of the boat.  I think he thought it was my company and I was doing promotional videos.  Back onboard and time to plan where to head to next - somewhere different and new.. Dilham.

I set up my phone and decided to go live on Facebook.  In the past this would involved so much effort and work and now it is a case of tapping an icon and suddenly you are live and so from Ranworth to Ludham Bridge I did my thing to three groups while also capturing the odd bit for the Blog.  For March, it was a lot busier than when I came a few years back at almost the same time.  Maybe it was the weather, but I feel more people are holidaying at the start and end of the season when prices are less and the schools are not out and the you have more of the area to yourself type thing.

Up the Ant, past Irstead and did no it anything, then onto Barton Broad all familiar so far - but it was not until I got up to the fork for Wayford that things began to get interesting.  I have been here a number of times but never to Dilham - not on my travels or on family holidays either, though I know before I was born my Dad had made a wrong turn and tried taking a Bermuda down the North Walsham & Dilham Canal!

I approached Wayford Bridge and it was the usual case of the oat being able to fit under but there being uncertainly if the camera on the top of the boat would also make it which is why some of my videos appear to be more 'tight' at bridges than perhaps the reality is as the camera is a few inches above the highest point on the boat.  Duly through the bridge (that wood beam is a little lower than the upstream side of the bridge mind you) it was on to pastures new.  Narrow, twisting, and beautiful - a very different feel to this part of the river Ant  and it just kept getting better.

By the time I reached Dilham - which was empty - and turned the boat I did wonder about how one may turn a boat if all the moorings had been taken and I think if coming in the season and was on B.A. I'd turn earlier and back up the last stretch  of river to the Staithe.  I knew there was a pub (The Cross Keys) down the road but tonight it was cooking on board and the all electric galley of Serenade performed perfectly well.  I settled down for the evening with the telly on, some nice food onboard a very nice boat in a peaceful setting.  I just had to get up for the sunrise tomorrow!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Day Two (Part 2)

By the time I reached Dilham - which was empty - and turned the boat I did wonder about how one may turn a boat if all the moorings had been taken and I think if coming in the season and was on B.A. I'd turn earlier and back up the last stretch  of river to the Staithe. 

:- )   It can be done (Just) we took Thunder up there back in Oct 15 and are nearly 44ft.  Not only were there two boats alongside overlapping the turning point  but they were nose to nose with the mudweights. We had to attach a spare rope to a  stern rope,  gently  bow thrust and then  pull on the rope whilst standing on  one of the other boats. Lift a mudweight , wedge our nose between the boats and  then push round. We  also had another  boat behind  us by then as well which couldn't turn !    

• Like 3

Well Mark you showed it can be done - but not something easily achieved on a boat like this when alone as I often am.

I've made a mental note that when I return, to turn earlier and back up along past the moorings/riverside gardens and then when you get to the staithe and it is free, great you are facing the right way but if you arrive and it is full no issue, you just head on the way you just came.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Well Mark you showed it can be done - but not something easily achieved on a boat like this when alone as I often am.

I've made a mental note that when I return, to turn earlier and back up along past the moorings/riverside gardens and then when you get to the staithe and it is free, great you are facing the right way but if you arrive and it is full no issue, you just head on the way you just came.

I went up to Dilham on Sunday on the 30ft San Rafael. And as a less than experienced helmsman found turning with no boats moored a challenge i had to moor up for a cuppa for half an hour! :shocked

Hi Robin

By the time you read this you will be back home. I just want to say how much I enjoy travelling along with you, thank you. Well done also in encouraging people to be more open and talk about difficult stuff, very topical just now, but you were first.

• Like 4

Really enjoying this series Robin. And I liked the reflective filming you managed to do in the church. Very poignant.

It was interesting to see Dilham - we've been to Wayford Bridge a couple of times but never attempted to go under the bridge and onto the last stretch of river. Well we're out on a forward steer cruiser in May and hoping to get through Wroxham Bridge and down to Coltishall. Maybe we will also manage to get up to this top stretch of the Ant as well with a low air draft.

• Like 2

I am also enjoying this series robin, as I always do.

Like SwanR I'm on a forward steer later in the year and will attempt to visit Dilham for the first time as we have never been able to reach it on our previous boats.

We were on Ruby Emblem from Ferry marina last July and managed to sneak up to Dilham   it is a really beautiful cruise up to there the river was crystal clear and the kids loved watching all the fish swimming as they peered over the sides.

We were lucky and no other boats at the mooring / turning area somanaged to turn Ruby a 38ft aquafibre round no problems  but can imagine would of struggled if anything was moored .

• Like 3

Yay been looking forward to the next update, that's my Friday morning lie in sorted , two episode's to watch now, I must say Robin these last few blogs are looking very polished and professional ,well done they must take up a great deal of your time to put them all together, great choice of music by the way on the previous ones..

• Like 1