New Comer

Meg

Thank you for the welcome. I nearly qualify as an ancient mariner! A friend and I hire a boat for a couple of weeks each year. I steer she does ropes, we do get a few comments as two grey haired ladies but usually good natured.

I watched u tube for mooring tips and now I am improving.

See you in September

• Like 2

Welcome along Meg. It's whatever works for you when it comes to boating ... I steer as well when we're mooring and hubby does the ropes. 

Which yard are you hiring from? Do you always go to the same place?

We have hired from different yards and our first was a disaster, 4 ladies all wanting own bathroom and a boat that steered like a rudderless bath! Only lasted until we got wedged in a private marina. Thankfully an elderly bloke took over and got us out of there! He asked where the rest of the crew were and laughed when I said in the forward cabin praying that someone would come and help! We hightailed it home then.

It took 4 years before it faded enough for us to brave it again. We now hire from Barnes and we are very pleased with their service and friendly attitude.

• Like 5

A very warm welcome aboard, Meg :wave

I think it's brilliant that two ladies helm a boat on their own, like Jean I can helm pretty good too, unless a flappy thingy appears from nowhere then all hell breaks loose :facepalm:

Also done an all girl trip which was an absolute hoot, got into a few scrapes along the way I can tell you, although we had some very gallant gentleman to help us moor at times (not that we needed help, of course) but having superiority, I don't think so :naughty:

Nice to have you on board and enjoy

Grace

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Meg. I would like to point out that I'm not grey. Having stood in a shop queue where someone announced they were dying their hair 'platinum grey' and have the whole queue turn to stare at me...I am officially platinum... Probably why the other half thinks I'm a credit card! 

Where was I? Oh yes... Welcome! :naughty:

• Like 4

Many years ago when we used to moor on the great Ouse we regularly used to share a lock pen with a group of grey haired ladies who all looked to be in their 70s . They owned a beautiful Ocean 30 that was in breathtakingly good condition and always looked so well cared for. They knew exactly what they were doing and handled the boat really really well.

Carole

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Welcome aboard Meg. I would like to point out that I'm not grey. Having stood in a shop queue where someone announced they were dying their hair 'platinum grey' and have the whole queue turn to stare at me...I am officially platinum... Probably why the other half thinks I'm a credit card! 

Where was I? Oh yes... Welcome! :naughty:

Hair, Oh those were the days 

Welcome from me too

• Like 1

well if you want the truth, its that at 6 foot 4" I outgrew my hair line (think tree line on a mountain) this is why I have a luxuriant growth around chin level, that growth was ginger (no Tim not gingerbread), now turning father christmas white.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

Grendel, you think you had problems............. I think it was unfavorable light in the school classroom personally !!!!!!

Ginger!.jpg

Allo allo allo ...I've seen that face before somewhere...

9780230770744.jpg

Just Wildfuzz!

• Like 1