My Day

LizG

my wife has been saying for years that i have selective hearing- or just plain ignorant :default_blush: anyway as of a medical health care check up at work i now have a piece of paper that confirms iam half deaf in one ear -so she was wrong and iam a nice chap again :default_biggrin:

oh and i have been a tad vague as to which ear it is as i depends on just where she is sitting at any one time :default_biggrin: 

finny

• Haha 7

Our "day" actually started on Tuesday evening, with a drive to out daughter's place near Reading. The object of the trip was to steal a march on a trip to Stratford upon Avon. An early start from Reading would see us in Stratford within an hour and a half, whereas an early start from Kent would probably find us queued up Lord knows where on the M25 this morning and a late arrival at our destination. We no sooner hit the M20 at 6.45pm yesterday when the satnag flagged up warnings of a motorway closure at Ashford, which added 45 minutes to our journey. It was worth it though, because we had an easy drive up to Stratford via Oxford and were parked up at our hotel by 11.15 yesterday  morning.

We wandered into town and were torn between the shopping (which Nik said was good by East Kent standards) and the Shakespeare's uncle's dog's birthplace type of "experience". In the end, we did a bit of both. Then it was back to the hotel for a cup of tea and a bit of a rest. We had booked a pre-theatre dinner at an Italian restaurant in town and frankly neither of us was holding out much hope of a decent meal based on past experience of such things. We were pleased to be proved wrong as the meal was absolutely excellent and reasonably priced too. Then on to the RSC just in time to take our seats for a performance of 12th Night. We were seated 15 ft from the stage, so had an excellent view of proceedings. The production was excellent (I think that Polly has reviewed it elsewhere on here, so I won't bore you) and we had a thoroughly excellent evening. Seeing Shakespeare at Stratford was one of Nik's "bucket list" items and I was very pleased to share it with her. Today we drove across country to Norfolk to check on our boat, with tonight to be spent at the Wroxham Hotel.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

• Like 4

Ooh, I do envy you! I haven’t been to an RSC production since about 1993! Have visited Stratford lots of times since though, it’s such a lovely place. Our kids loved the butterfly place on the opposite side of the river to the theatre when they were small (no idea if that’s still there), and hiring a boat on the river in the summer.

Will look out for opportunities to try Polly’s option of watching a streamed version. Might have to add your version to my bucket list though!

Helen

10 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Will look out for opportunities to try Polly’s option of watching a streamed version. Might have to add your version to my bucket list though!

Go on. I am sure you won't regret it. The performance left me with tears of joy and laughter. Not a bit like the "Shakespeare" that was inflicted on us at school. We will definitely be back in Stratford too. We loved the place!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far my day is going badly.

Email to say my Microsoft cloud is over the limit! I don't have I have my own personal cloud.

Email to say my Virgin internet is going to be disconnected, I am not with Virgin.

Email my ebay account is overdrawn, closed it months ago.

Now I have just broken my last saw blade while cutting gun ports on the boat!

paul

Oh and my long lost brother in Nigeria needs to transfer some cash to me and needs my bank details to do so.

• Haha 4

Today being sailing day it was off down to the sailing club, flags up, buoys out, bacon butties had. Then I went out to the buoys again..

Today is the Ramuz trophy and Hong Kong trophy. Back in the 1970s the race was from the club to the Ramuz's house on South Walsham Broad, for the Ramuz Trophy stop for tea and coffee and the return for the Hong Kong.

We've run the race either as a down river or up river to somewhere else for some years, but today due to the high winds and freezing temperatures it was decided to use an extended buoy course.
So my second trip out was reposition buoys after a discussion with the Officer of the day, assistant officer of the day ( me) and the competitors. So buoy 4 was beyond Dydlers mill, and buoy 1 by the New Inn.

Ramus Trophy race course 1p,2p, 4p. Sunny clocked all day, Wind Easterly, b****y cold, tide going out for the first race and in for the second ( as planned for a down river race).

All boats started together, sadly only 4 Yeoman started, we of course, we're officiating, one crew came down realized it was a long race, and since the helmsman was in his 80s, and has had heart operations that was not a suprise when they withdrew. I guess others did not turn up looking at the weather conditions. We did have a good fleet of dinghies.

I then occupied a rescue boat for a further 1 3/4 hours, during the race a couple of dingies fell over but sorted themselves out before I got there.

The race was won by a Yeoman, then there were 2 lasers before the next Yeoman.

After lunch, race two was down to 6 dinghies, so I moved buoy 4 back to its normal position at Black Horse broad, I had just managed that when the dinghies came round the bend.
After another hour and a half on the river, you could feel the air temperature drop at about half two, I collected buoys, packed up the rescue boat, to find the bilge pump area still frozen with ice.

After getting home after about 5 hours in a frozen boat, it was a long soak in the bath, very long, I fell asleep!!

• Like 2

Today and tomorrow.  30m2 travertine floor in kitchen / dining room. Not tiling but stripping back / deep clean, then partial grout removal, then impregnate/ seal the trav, then  re- grout then seal again. The floor will look brand new on completion. Joy and glee once again 

Griff

• Sad 1

958 trains cancelled, no trains from Norwich to Sheringham, Gt Yarmouth, Lowestoft,

Trains from Kings Lynn to Kings Cross cancelled,

Leading to increased traffic on the roads, many of which are now at a stand still. I'm Glad I came in at 06:00 with few problems

40 Schools closed.

and we have.... about an inch and a half of snow...

• Sad 3